1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

“The FINAL Roster’s are in and I have a question”

Discussion in 'American Legion' started by LegionBBFan, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triadbaseball

triadbaseball Member

This story is exactly why American Legion will continue to play second fiddle to Showcase baseball. The rules are not governed and have so many loopholes a player or coach can always get what they want. Players in Jr. Legion are playing out of their area on a continuous basis. Now it appears there is a loophole in Sr. Legion that allows a player to dictate what team he plays for by refusing to be a part of his local team. This story is unbelievable. From what I can tell, a player can dictate where he wants to play. What would happen if 5 players from Team A decided they wanted to play on Team B? All 5 tell the coach on Team A that they do not want to play on their team. The coach for Team A has has to leave all 5 players off the playoff roster because he needs to field a team. Once left off the 5 go play for Team B. This is a joke. It serves nothing but the corrupt coaches who cannot win with their own players. What happened to winning with the players in your area?

The rules change in American Legion on a daily basis. It is so far behind Showcase baseball and it's not close. If this situation is not fixed it will be another black eye for American Legion.

2. LegionBBFan

LegionBBFan Junior Member

I would say good luck to American Legion Baseball in North Carolina at least. This WILL NOT go away.

3. Vet-17

Vet-17 Middle Member

Working on it Mom

What rules are you following? I went like respectthegame to legion.org and found the rules. It’s very easy and you can copy and paste, see …click
    Clarification – Teams may select:
    1. Non-base school players whose parents’ or guardians’ domicile is nearest the team’s base school. To determine the nearest team, use the shortest driving distance as calculated by MapQuest ® (www.mapquest.com).

It is sooo easy, here’s another …click
    Non-base School Players map, each team is given an area to select players who are attending nearby schools. For a team to select a player from another team’s “area” or base school, requires a transfer. If no transfer is granted, those players are ineligible to play.

couldn’t find a rule for 18-19 years olds that makes them ‘sorta legal’ so watch I’ll do it again…click
    Rule 4.G – Final Year of Eligibility; 4.G.1; 4.G.2 Explanation: Senior Legion Baseball players who have one year of eligibility remaining, whose parents move out of the team’s recruiting area, shall have an option of playing for the team nearest their parent’s new domicile or returning to their former team.

Some don’t like to quote rules but that’s all the Mom asked for and Never did find a referral to any overriding rule book and nothing in the state handbook either. Could be secret book. They will correct this.

4. Vet-17

Vet-17 Middle Member

Better sit down for this Triad...

5. Respectthegame

Respectthegame Full Access Member

Once again, there are a lot of people speaking about what they know; however, the facts are incorrect. Emotions & agendas are clouding judgement. If what you WANT is not what you are getting then you complain. The adults need to grow up, read the entire rule(not just part of a sentence that leans your way) and move on. Yes, it is frustrating to make a mistake and get called on it; however, much more frustrating to see someone try to manipulate part of the rules to get their way. First half of previous sentence is my definition of a mistake, and the second is my definition of cheating. Only the ones involved really know what happened.

6. Respectthegame

One more clarification, states only have the right to put in stricter recruiting rules. They do not have the authority to alter playing rules. Little known fact, but it is a fact.

7. stonewall

stonewall Junior Member

me too?

I was perplexed also about that 'a set of rules different from nationals.' Somewhere a NC team will play say Ohio and the player eligibility rules better be the same.\

* Somewhere an area 3 team will play say an area 2 team and the player eligibility rules better be the same.\

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  8. mooresvillesupporter

mooresvillesupporter Junior Member

What rules were not followed by the Team Manager on adding the kid

Integrity is allowing kids to be released and let them play where they want too.

The Team Manager asked the question to the state before allowing the kid to be put on their roster. So how did he break the rules.

The ages of the players are not on the site.

However, a 17 year old is someone who is considered to be able to play Jr. ball. This kid is 18. You cannot play Jr. ball if you turn 18 this year.

The kid would have not been put on the roster if the commissioners thought we were not following the rules.

I am saddened that so many INTEGRITY people are so biased.

9. Respectthegame

I'm afraid your definition of integrity is still confused with what you want instead of what is right by rules. It is possible to receive incorrect information which is sad in itself, but also depends on who is the "state"? Did you ask the right questions with all the facts presented?? Allowing players to be released to play where they want is the discretion of the post that they are supposed to play for. Without standards and rules any organization turns into a joke. Some legion teams always huddle over near the line as a joke and others set a high standard and are respected by all whom realize what is going on. The ones that are just jealous and want success to land in their lap are nothing more than whiners and unrealistic. Of course there have been some bad decisions made through the years, but it is not fair to judge current commissioners based on what happened before their time.

10. Vet-17

Vet-17 Middle Member

Non-base School Players map, each team is given an area to select players who are attending nearby schools. For a team to select a player from another team’s “area” or base school, requires a transfer. If no transfer is granted, those players are ineligible to play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.