1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

#1 pick Bush arrested

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by baseball11, Jun 22, 2004.

1. gonzo

gonzo Full Access Member

sugarjet and rcbbfan, I would agree with you but that is making the assumption that your son goes off to college and actually matures. Some of these kids won't mature to that point until mid to late 20's. There are a great number of kids recruited at 18 who make it and do a great job. Who knows which child will make an "instant adult". :huh:

2. sugarjet

sugarjet Full Access Member

You are right..

Gonzo, that is a good point, but as an educator I feel an education you will have forever.... and also I feel one has a better chance to mature if they take it in steps. But I guess my main gripe is the fact that we make these players instand millionaires, when the price to go to the game is getting out of reach for the average person. Guess that could be another post though!
    In saying that, if my son had been drafted #1 would he have taken it, absolutely, so I should not cut the system that I would buy into. Saying that, I would also be in Arizona with him... and not send him out to the wolves without his parents guidance because I know my son would not have been ready to be on his own.

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Well, Sugarjet...I would not want you to go allllllll the way to Phoenix to guide your son. That would be an inconvienence on your part....so when that happens in a few years...don't let it become a second thought..........

I'll go :D:D:D

4. sugarjet

sugarjet Full Access Member

You are so kind Braves.....

I just think the world of you that you would volunteer and be so kind to go that farrrrrrr away, and you know, I may just take you up on it! You and the other half can just go together, and your other half and myself will stay here and hold the fort down!!! :xyzthumbs

5. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

Sorry I didn't see your earlier request, Braves.

You're right...I was in San Diego when this story broke. The local media, both broadcast and print, commented repeatedly on how genuinely angry the Padres' General Manager was. It was pretty obvious that he was angry ("livid" was the term used in the newspaper) at both the player and his own scouting organization.

Evidently, the club's decision to take Matt Bush with the number one pick developed pretty quickly. According to the "San Diego Union-Tribune," Bush had called the club about a week before the draft and told them that he'd be interested in playing in his home town. Although he'd been high on the Padres' list, up until that point, they hadn't focused as much scrutiny on him as they had on several others.

Before I left two days ago, I got the sense that management was much more interested in getting to the bottom of both the incident that precipitated the suspension and the player's background than rushing to a conclusion. Management says they're looking at ALL their options...to include possible annullment of Bush's contract.