1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

??????????????????

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by crybabies, Mar 28, 2008.

1. crybabies

crybabies Full Access Member

Give me some opinions here.
    Top of the 10th 1 to 1 ball game lead off runner on with a walk, number 3 batter up one of the best hitters on the team(already 2 hits on the day). Do you,
    1) LET HER HIT?
    2) DO YOU MAYBE FAKE A BUNT HOPING FOR A PASS BALL TO MOVE THE RUNNER?
    3) BUNT AND MOVE THE RUNNER INTO SCORING POSITION?
    4) DO YOU LET HER SWING AWAY AND BUNT THE NUMBER FOUR HITTER?

I might be wrong but I think I saw the last one on this list in a game.:huh2:

Very confused and dont understand the philosphy of this move.

Thanks for anybodys help on explaining this to me, maybe I'm the one that don't understand the game.

2. solarte1969

solarte1969 ....

since we are in the preps forum, the answer is swing away.

If we were talking about the Olympics, you might play strategy. We are still talking about kids--let them hit away, and have fun, in my humble opinion.

3. LDFRDGUY

LDFRDGUY Banned From TBR

depends

It depends on what kind of batter you have behind her, i would presume the 4th batter is a good hitter so if you are there to win you have to move your runner into scoreing position, I know we all want to see them swing away, but in a close game everybody has to do their part, may it be a bunt or hit to win the close ones.JMHO

4. JavelinCatcher

JavelinCatcher Full Access Member

Tough call...

I guess you have to be there to see how the game was going. If it was a pitchers dual or defensive struggle and they have a very good catcher that you can't straight steal on, you have to do whatever it takes to get that runner into scoring position. If the hitter is a good contact hitter, maybe even think about a hit/bunt and run and see if you can get the lead runner to third.

Just my opinion...

5. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Bunt

6. hrslugger

hrslugger Member

Move runner!

In my opinion you could use either option 2 or 3. Fake bunt and steal may work, depending on the catcher and conditions. If I am right the wind was blowing in from centerfield pretty good, so that makes it tough for a throw down to 2B. Probably your safest bet may be to just bunt her over and put the runner in scoring position. As coaches sometimes we don't want to take the bat out of our better hitters hands and want to just let them hit away. I know she already had 2 hits, but you need to get the lead runner over. Plus it was 1-1 in the 10th so obviously there hadn't been a lot of hitting going on.

Big key is trying to make something happen, manufacture a run. Put some runners in motion. That late in the game nerves are at full gear and no one wants to make a mistake. And many times this is when mistakes are made. Good games are won and lost on basic fundamental plays.

Again, just my opinion.

7. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

Momentum !!!

I believe in the #3 batter, she is an awesome player,and with the momentum I over reacted in my decision!!

[​IMG] GURU

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  8. ladiesbballfan

ladiesbballfan Full Access Member

9. ndsb05

ndsb05 Member

??

BUNT ,but some kids are just unable to get the bunt down properly and pop it up .So they need to swing away,this is mainly due to Coaches who don't play the short game and swing away all the time and don't practice this.

10. WndMillR

WndMillR Full Access Member

Alex.. Under smart softball...I'll take #3 for $1000.00 ....

Good hitters know how to bunt.....
    Always put pressure on the pitcher and defense...