1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

1st Rd. Playoffs: (#1) Watauga vs. (#16) Alexander (Official Game Thread)...

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by JET - I, Nov 3, 2007.

1. WD6WHS

WD6WHS Do You

hes fast... real fast... not only does he not look like hes going full speed when hes running but he can disappear in a pack real quick... I talked to one of our defensive players and they said they have only had to try to tackle him once during practice at the very beginning of the year... and it hurt so bad he didnt want to stand back up.... once eric lowers that shoulder he turns into the one delivering the hit and it always takes 3 or 4 people to bring him down... he keeps those legs churning and fighting for more yards... hes a good running back... scary thing is, he is just as good or better defensively

2. JET - I

JET - I Force B W/U

Thoughts...

There is "NO DOUBT" that EB is a really good football player and deserves everything he gets........but if I am Defensive Cord. of the Cougars.... I am putting 10 in the box and making them beat me by throwing the football, and that would be the way watagua would have to win.....and I agree with onlooker they (Cougars) have to run the football successfuly friday (to milk the clock) to stand a chance, but we will have to score through the AIR I think..... I guess we will see.....(4 days)....

3. interestedonlooker

interestedonlooker Full Access Member

Lots of folks want to say "Put 10 in the box to stop the run...." Problem is when you do that, you open up the passing lanes.....Watauga has a very capable QB.....and EB would just be split out and would prob get 10 to 15 thrown at him......Everyone wants the ability to throw the ball b/c the running game is so good....IIRC Watauga threw for 175yds and 2 TDs in the first match up?

I like to be optimistic, but I think Watauga would have to "lose" this game...and not so much AC win it......AC is out matched at every position other than QB.....

4. Indy 85

Indy 85 Full Access Member

I made the mistake of saying that we couldn't beat ACR by running Breitenstein right and Breitenstein left. I was dead wrong. 12 men in the box and an AC alum at referee will not be enough. I do like the idea of 10 in the box though. I see a big day for the TE in that situation. Plus I don't think that you want 1 on 1 coverage on any of our WR's. Pick your poison. For the record, I wish we were playing High Point Central.

5. JET - I

JET - I Force B W/U

Please do not think I wrote that post not considering the fact that we were not up to par stopping the pass in that game b/c we weren't.... or the fact that would not be the counter by the Watauga coach if they could not be successful at running EB....I think we are much improved in that aspect of the game and also the coach for the Cougars has been putting the WRers on the Defensive side of the ball which as made a world of difference the last several games.... a long with Dockery our best DB... makes a pretty solid unit...something Watauga did not see in the first meeting, and yes onlooker you are right ....Watauga threw 8 times, but had 3 TD's on 175yrds. and if you remember correctly, seeing the game I saw, all THREE TD's passes should have been deflected, but wasn't...so I think with the new additions and much imporved Defensive back field it will play out a lil different..... (Just my thoughts...)

6. sportsfan66

sportsfan66 Junior Member

and, (in referrence to the losses) this has been prompted by going down big early (ex 14-0, etc..), so the defense has to slow down the opponet's Offense, to give the AC offense a chance to mix things up along the way.

If AC's defense can control the watauga offense a little better, then it wouldn't suprise me to see rushing over 100 yards with passing still approaching 300yard mark. If that happens AC wins.

Still a big IF, Cougars have some of the most talented skill position players in the conference, if they come-out to play, they will win.

IF, watauga comes out, and EB has his way with the AC defense, then it could get ugly again.

This is the game i'm going to watch, i feel this one has the making of a great game.

7. sportsfan66

sportsfan66 Junior Member

Well, i agree to a certain point. I think you do what ever you have to do to stop EB, and make other players beat you. AC has had alot of injuries, i wouldn't count on seeing the same game. If Watauga runs-it or throws-it, is not as a big of deal as making sure that its not EB beating you. Are they going to score, sure, but the goal is to slow-down/limit the scoring, and AC has to depend on thier Offense to score on almost every position. Who-ever gets behind more than 7, will probably lose :)

I think AC has the skilled position players to beat anyone, but these guys have to get on the same page. Watuaga has more of a brut force approach, neither team is really designed to stop each other but with over-compensation on D.... So, lets see who wins that approach.

Good luck AC & Watauga

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  8. JET - I

JET - I Force B W/U

I agree totally with sportsfan, I don't know who this cat is, but he is a pretty smart cookie....I think too sportsfan a lot of times the set - up the Cougars have is almost an aid toward the running game, almost taking the place of the running game or in other words ......is the Cougars running game a lot of times....if the ball is thrown well and caught....... (difficult Offense to run week in and week out).... I think ball control will play a big part in this game and punishing EB everytime he runs.... I think he is pretty much a 100% healthy, but the Cougar D needs to punish when they have the chance (LEAGLLY).........

9. footballfever181

footballfever181 Full Access Member

No offence to Alexander but they need to bring thier A game and Watauga will need to make some mistakes if the cougars are to pull this upset off. Watauga put up 40 points in the first half last game. They will not slow down EB, Reynolds blitzed and loaded the box with Cabrals and didn't manage to do it, and if they do Baine Martin, Cam Steury, Jake Wallace all BIG receving threats. With all due respect the Cougars have one advantage, Russel, not enough. If things go right for Watauga, this one could get ugly.
    Good Luck to all NW4A teams

10. Wise One

Wise One No Doubt

Just a little advice for those from Taylorsville going to the game. Take a seat cushion or a blanket, those metal bleachers are cold on your arse.

:earmuffs: