1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2004 NCHSAA 4A West Sectionals 3 & 4: Sectional Semifinals

Discussion in 'Girls Basketball' started by bigdan, Feb 24, 2004.

1. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

The name of the game is win and advance...here are the matchups for the sectional semifinals on Wednesday Night:

Independence @ McDowell

South Caldwell @ Garinger

Butler @ West Charlotte

AC Reynolds @ South Meck

Thoughts, analysis, predictions on these games...?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  2. reynoldsrocks23

reynoldsrocks23 1999,2002 4A State Champs

Well I will give my toughts on the games above:

TBA @ McDowell: Well since I don't know who is coming to McDowell, although I bet it's Independence, I still say McDowell wins in Marion! Too tough at home to lose a playoff game there. McDowell 76-62.

South Caldwell @ Garinger: This might be a tougher game for Garinger then they might want to admit. Garinger just last week beat Myers Park 70-61, South Caldwell beat them 71-49 on Monday Night. I think if South shoots the ball well and plays the type of defense they are capible of they can stay in this one. However Garinger does have a lot of speed and that might end up hurting South Caldwell. If I had to pick an upset this would be it, but since I don't I am going with Garinger 61-53.

Butler @ West Charlotte: I know nothing about these teams, except they are from Charlotte, and West is the higher seed! What the heck lets pick an upset Butler 62-57.

AC Reynolds @ South Mecklenburg: The Lady Rockets have played a team much like South Meck earlier this year in Owen and won. South Meck is a tall team with a young point guard. If they can handle the Lady Rockets pressure and get the ball inside they can have some success, but everything I have read is they don't like teams that run on them. Well ACR will press and run all night long, because that is all we know (even when we really shouldn't sometimes). If ACR can hit their outside shots and force some turnovers they will be just fine. I think the Lady Rockets have a lot of confidence right now, coming through a tough conference and a tough schedule with a strong record. Look for them to go to Charlotte and come home victorious 59-51.

3. reynoldsrocks23

reynoldsrocks23 1999,2002 4A State Champs

BIGDAN.....WHERE ARE YOU!

Bigdan where are your analysis and predictions? Come on let's hear them! You are the one who has all the knowledge of all the teams. I don't know much about the Charlotte teams but you have at least seen some of them. So lets hear your thoughts!

4. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

sorry for the delay...

We have some interesting matchups in the Sectional Semis. I like the odds of the NW4A taking 2 of the 3 games tomorrow. Here is my detail analysis...

Independence @ McDowell: Indy is mainly a one person show, and her name is LaQuita Owens. I'm sure McDowell is being prepared to keep her from getting open looks at the basket. Wouldn't shock me if we try Box and 1 on her, especially if she is hot early. But I think an aggressive man-to-man should be enough. I'm sure Indy plays an up and down type game, just like most other teams in Charlotte. The key for McDowell is to remain a balanced team. Lovik and Atkinson are hot right now shooting the ball. I would think Owens may be on Atkinson. McDowell needs to keep getting inside with Kiser, she has played really well over the last two weeks. Overall, too many weapons for Independence to stop. I predict McDowell to win by double digits...71-58

South Caldwell @ Garinger: The Lady Spartans played very well against Myers Park, but now they have to go to Charlotte and play in a hostile environment. It's gonna be tough, but if South can maintain composure and can shoot the ball well, we may have a close game. Garinger has LaVonna Hailey, a very good player who can run with most anybody in Charlotte. And running is Garinger's game. They don't have height, so they won't be working the ball inside all that much. Being at home, I'll give the advantage to Garinger, but it's gonna be closer than most others would think it might be...I pick Garinger, 68-62

Butler @ West Charlotte: This game will probably be a classic streetball matchup. WC has Ashley Rivens, a future D1 player, and will probably be enough talent to put West Charlotte over the top. Us mountain people would probably laugh at this game if we were to watch it, but this is the style of ball that is played in Charlotte. No defense, a lot of 1 on 1 play, and not a lot of discpline. WC wins 76-63...

AC Reynolds @ South Meck: I would believe that the coaches at AC Reynolds are very prepared for South Meck, and their three players over six foot tall. Sydney Alexander must continue her aggressive play and try to get South Meck in foul trouble. The tempo must also be fast by Reynolds. South Meck has shown this season that they struggle against teams who like to run. Reynolds must also be able to hit the 3 pointers. I would think if they can force the issue on South Meck, that they will do just fine. For the Lady Sabres, they must continue what makes them good, and that is their size and being able to get a lot of boards and 2nd chance opportunities. Joy Cheek and Betsy Horowitz must have good games inside, because Reynolds will have 3 and 4 girls inside on defense fighting for the rebounds. If Reynolds can force the tempo, then we may have an upset in the makings, but if South can keep Reynolds one and out and can keep the tempo slow, then the Lady Sabres will prevail. This game is going to be really close. I'll pick Reynolds in the upset, 69-67

5. nw4a_rules

nw4a_rules Member

mcdowell should not have too much trouble with independence... they do predominantly revolve around one player... and i don't think one player has any chance of beating mcdowell... at least not this player... mcdowell is hot, and has an incredible home court advantage... double digits it is....

south will have their hands full with garinger... garinger is rolling and has had incredible success this season... south has proven they are good as well, but i don't know if they can handle this team... garinger is quick, and south's bench is a little short, so they could get spent... woody has to be hot, and pritchard better bring it... lavonna hailey will be tough to keep track of, but i guarantee south will fight and play their hearts out... this win would be huge for them, but i am afraid they may come up a little short... i hate to see their season end, b/c these girls have heart and courage... good luck lady spartans... do us proud...

lady rockets will have a big test as well... literally... they have seen a few teams with similar size this season, so maybe they will be all right... if they play to their potential, i think acr can pull it off... south meck had high hopes going into this season... ranked most of the season, etc... they will be ready, and they have the home court advantage... this will probably be the closest game of the night... who knows which way it will go... if acr plays like the first mcdowell game, they win... if they play like the last 2 mcdowell games, they will probably fall short... lets hope the tough conference schedule pays some dividends...

west charlotte is no where near as strong as early in the season... say all you want, but losing granberry was a huge blow... they are still a good team, but losing such a key role player hurts... just throws you out of sync... look at freedom after tate got hurt... butler didn't finish the season quite as strong as early on, but they could pull this one out... wc got drilled by vance in the meca-8 tourney, so that tells me they have some issues... if they were as good as most people think, i don't think vance could've beat them so bad... course, anything can happen, on any night... at any rate, i do think wc is favored, but a butler win would not surprise me at all...

6. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Loathsome

:soda:

7. 75gitane

75gitane Full Access Member

ac reynolds 61, south meck 58

by quarter
    ac reynolds 13--14--17--17
    south meck 14--14--12--18

ac shot a LOT of free throws and were probably 85-90% from the line (i only remember 2 misses). sm missed a lot of close-in shots on fast break attempts in the 3rd quarter.

8. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

:banana:....nice win ACR

go NW4A!

9. The Warden

The Warden Full Access Member

McDowell knocks off Independence, 101-72

Score By Quarters

McD: 32--26--20--23 = 101
    Indy: 19--17--17--19 = 72

Very offensive game as Indy shot alot of 3s while McDowell, like ACR, connected on all but 2 foul shots. Indy was very tired after being ran to death. Big win for the Lady T's

10. ladiesbballfan

ladiesbballfan Full Access Member

Where's the South Caldwell score? I heard McDowell had a few sick players tonight. My gosh, if they had been feeling well? Indy's coach needs to put some wind sprints in practice next year!