1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2006 All - Impact Teams

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Dbacks20, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baseballmom34

baseballmom34 Full Access Member

Pitcher's time to the plate-

Glad this subject was brought up. My son's high school coach wants him (a pitcher) 1.3 or under to the plate. What in the opinion of this board is a good time to the plate? Thanks!

2. Intimidator Coach

Intimidator Coach Premium Member

:apopcorn: :glotzbart

3. bbrksfan

bbrksfan Full Access Member

Baserunners..

Conversely, What is a good time from first to second for a base stealer?
    (If a kid runs a 6.8 sixty)
    3.5 ??????
    Just curious.

4. yankees

yankees Full Access Member

The only thing POP time doesn't really factor in is accuracy. And yes a 2.1 highly accurate is better than a 1.95 all over the place.

At this summers Perfect Game Tournament I had the opportunity to sit along side a scout from the Braves and another from the Yankees organizations and after discussing a lot of baseball, we talked about Pudge Rodriquez and what differenciates him. We also talked about what they looked for in terms of times. Essentially they wanted a 2.0 pop time and a 1.5 time to the plate. That combination of 3.5 or less would get most runners out. Now at that level they assumed accuracy in the catcher's throw.

They openingly admitted that not every pitcher was at 1.5, but their other attributes compensated for their weakness in holding runners. And some pitchers though slower to the plate have developed great moves that freeze the runners a little longer than others.

TODAY IS THE DAY, LET BASEBALL BEGIN!!!!!!!!

5. rcbbfan

rcbbfan Full Access Member

When my son went for his official visit, he asked his current coach about pop times. The coach assentually told him that, with all the other things he expected his catchers to do, pop times weren't a great concern to him.(I'm sure he was already aware of his pop time) I really didn't believe it until I saw the "play book". WOW!!! All that stuff running through their heads and having to catch some pretty nasty pitches too!!!! I don't see how they do it......must be a youth thing. I know I go to bed at night and forget everything I knew. :D:D:D

:229031_ha :229031_ha :229031_ha :229031_ha :229031_ha :229031_ha

6. TheBull

TheBull Member

A quick release and an average accurate arm assuming you know how to catch will take you a long way. We used the LA Dodger playbook when I was in college. The catcher always has to know where everyone should be on every play.
    It's the best position to play and the toughest to play.

7. olefty

olefty Full Access Member

two things about pop times

(1)It is a point all college coaches look at. The first thing a college coach wants to know is a catcher's pop time. So all HS catchers should work their butts off on their arm strength, foot work, and transition from catch to release. If he wants to be a college catcher.

(2)Also, you should get a college coach or pro scout to show you what their idea of a "real pop time" is. They are clicking a split second early as they anticipate the catch. I've seen HS dads who got 1.95's over and over but all the college coaches at the showcase got 2.2's every throw

Finally, A 2.0 that is always accurate will beat out a 1.9 all over the place.
    that's just playing catch and throw.

8. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

An word on the website. Last post was mid January. Not up yet? Can I get interst? LOL

9. olefty

olefty Full Access Member

It's sort of interesting that almost all the players on the All-impact and player of the year watch are guys who played for impact. Not alot of names for the other teams. You've got the cubs, megastars, anglers, copperheads, and fifty other teams. I'm not putting too much stake in the impact preseason teams or players to watch because I don't believe the entire state is being represented in these polls.

10. TheBull

TheBull Member

It is a good list of players. Andy has to butter his own bread to a certain degree. For ever player listed, you could substitute 2 or 3 other names in the list and not miss a beat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.