1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2006 NCHSAA 4A Sectionals: Sectional Final scores...

Discussion in 'Girls Basketball' started by bigdan, Feb 24, 2006.

1. reynoldsrocks23

reynoldsrocks23 1999,2002 4A State Champs

One thing about it IF Harding plays them (South Meck) they could make it interesting again because they DON'T depend on the inside at all, but they can shoot the 3 that is for sure! They have a team full of shooters, however they don't play the half court defense all that well, full court they are good defensively but in the half court game they seem to give up a lot of open looks ACR just couldn't knock them down late in the game. I think Harding would have had a tougher time in the NW4A having to compete AT ACR, AT McDowell, and AT South Caldwell however they would be tough to beat at their place as well. I hope they play South Meck, I want to see that outcome with a healthy Cheek playing, I don't think Harding wins this time.

2. scfan

scfan Full Access Member

reynoldsrock23; I totally agree. I would be suprised if anyone beats SM but somehow Butler beat them so I guess anything is possible.

3. bigdog41

bigdog41 Junior Member

Joy Cheek

Joy can play in the open floor. There is room for improvement but, she can do it. Let me let in you in on a few things about Joy. First, she was a back to the basket post player her entire career until the summer of her 8th and 9th grade year. She could barely dribble a few feet without a turnover. She quickly improved that over the years. She could not shoot beyond the dotted circle in the lane and now she has a very decent 3 pt. shot and deadly from the free throw in. She always had a strong post game. Ask anyone who has played against her in the states in aau and they will tell you that you must bring two or three to cover her because a guard or forward in h.s. can't handle her. She can go to the hole off the dribble and use both her left and right hand effectively. In her early years her free throw shooting was atrocious and now she is the teams best free throw shooter with great rotation on the ball. Don't foul her late in the game with the game on the line because she will knock em down. Now defensively she has locked everyone up this year. Everyone that she has guarded has fallen below their avgs. She takes pride in guarding whoever is the so-called best player and is able to be effective on the other end of the court. Folks, she has done this and avg. closed to 20 per game with 8-9 rbs. In 2-3 quarters. She seldom played the entire game this year. Shamica Boular gets nothing against Joy. SM has played Harding 3 times this year and beaten them handily with Joy in the lineup. They have trouble with our size and get in foul trouble. They no answer for Joy, Betsey or Erica. We lost to them by 4 or 5 and Erica Williamson missed 12 shots from the free throw line. Without Joy that is how they beat SM. Now Butler, it was the confererence championship and SM had beaten them twice by more than 20 each time. Butler was eager, determined and focus. SM played like they had been there and done that. That was the best lost that could have happened to them because it woke a sleeping giant up. Butler is young and talented and will be good in the future but, if we saw them today we would be them like a drum by at least 25-30. SM was embarrassed and the deserved to lose. I give Butler all the credit they deserve. You got to come to play every night and because we are SM every team gives us their A game.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  4. reynoldsrocks23

reynoldsrocks23 1999,2002 4A State Champs

I have no doubts that South Meck is the better team (when completely healthy as they are now), I actually think that South Meck is the best in the state. I was just trying to state that Harding isn't all that much better then any of the top three in the NW4A, not to say they can't beat those teams on a given night, but I also think those teams can beat Harding as well on a given night.