1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2006 STATE PLAYOFF DISCUSSION FORUM

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by CometFan, May 23, 2006.

1. Bmac1

Bmac1 Full Access Member

Everyone associated with the Cardinals is very excited about this summer's team and things have come together extremely well. These young ladies have tremendous potential and could do some amazing things this summer if they continue to work hard. With Gina and Faith in the circle (and other talented pitchers contributing), a great defense with plenty of options, along with the big sticks everyone knows about, this will be an exciting team to watch.

Every player on the team is experienced and big game tested. Last fall this team won a very competitive tournament in Roanoke (with mainly the younger players) and also defeated 2 Japanese All-Star teams in Washington, DC. The only thing IMO that could hold this team back is the coaching (LOL!) We just need to stay out of their way and let'em play!

However Coach Chandler's Cardinals is by far not the only highly talented 18U team in NC. The Blues, Curve, McHone's Cardinals, Challengers, Mixed Forces, Southern Explosion, On Deck O's, 16U Cobras, 16U CV Storm, 16U NC Rockers are just a few of the teams in the central and western parts of NC that will be loaded. I'm certain there several teams from eastern NC that will make this summer very competitive and challenge these teams from the west.

I predict this will be the best summer ever for the NC teams as they compete against other teams from the south and across the country.
    PLAY ASA.

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  2. EnkaJet04

EnkaJet04 Full Access Member

This depends upon the competition you are facing and then you can judge how competative a team is or is not. You have to go to the big tournaments and play against the best around to find out where you place among the top teams in N.C.

3. Dukedog4

Dukedog4 Full Access Member

N Pitt

I'm not sure about the circumstances in the EPC. Don't follow 2A ball that closely. I do know that if Sutton is "on" (which is most of the time) that North Pitt will hard to beat. I thinks she's surrendered 3 ER's all year. That said, NP has few travel ball players. Maybe only two besides Sutton. Last year's pitcher, Tiffany Shaw, is now the catcher as she was the only girl on the team who could really handle Sutton's stuff. Shaw will play @ ECU next year as an invited walkon. She's plays SS for her summer team . . . now the Hurricanes (I think) after the Carolina Diamonds dissolved. I'll be surprised if any 2A team can score more the two runs of Sutton unless they play "small ball" very effectively. The question will be whether NP can garner any runs.

4. Pop44

Pop44 Full Access Member

Thanks for the info... As usual, I think it will just come down to who makes the most mistakes. We've been hitting fairly well, but not against oustanding pitching. Small ball is an option... we'll see. On the way now down east.. more at 12 tonight. Good luck to all.

5. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

any "good" hitting?

does anyone / anywhere hit "well" against outstanding pitching? seeing a lot of 1-0, 2-1, 2-0 , (etc) scores posted in these playoffs, including no-hitters, near perfect games, strikeouts in double figures, etc.

seriously are there any teams / players out there that can really get base hits consistently against "outstanding" pitchers?

6. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

we're working hard at that....outstanding pitchers facing good hitters/players.

its coming around though. just my view.

7. Dukedog4

NO . . . .

not in HS. The few pitchers who are true D1 prospects (Ward, Glosson, Sutton, etc) will not be hit at 40' by high school hitters. Most HS teams (even in the playoffs) have only two or three girls capable of hitting these girls. Smart coaches will simply pitch around these girls. If you want more offense move the pitcher's rubber back to 43'. This would give the hitters a chance. It should be done anyway. HS baseball pitchers throw from the distance as college and pro pitchers. The girls can and should do the same thing. It will eventually happen. The move to 43' in ASA Gold (and some other showcase tournament) is a precursor for this move.

8. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

hit at 40'

excel at 43'

jmo

9. Dukedog4

2A scores from East

S. Lenior over Croatan 4-0

N Pitt and Graham are tied 2-2 after 10 innings. A thunderstorm forced suspension. Game will resume @ 5 PM Monday @ N Pitt.

10. Dukedog4

Hit at 40' . . .

I don't disagree but the reality is it just doesn't happen. Look @ the CC/ND game. Look at Emily Pierce's stats posted on another thread. Something like 11 hits surrendered all year against 4A competition! And, if I'm not mistaken, this kid signed with a D2 school. I do agree that hitters are getting better (and so are the bats) but they are still far behind the best pitchers. Look what Gina and Mendy did in Raleigh last year.