1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2006 STATE PLAYOFF DISCUSSION FORUM

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by CometFan, May 23, 2006.

1. curverise

curverise Full Access Member

Rise ball

Wouldn't you need to start the rise ball lower?:banginghe

2. Dukedog4

Dukedog4 Full Access Member

Sure but

its a tiny adjustment. We're only talking about changing the pitching distance less than 10%. Most good pitchers have a "sixth sense" for this sort of thing. The adjustment will come very quickly, especially if she's already used to throwing the fastball at this distance. The most important thing . . . . don't make a big deal out of it. If the girl hasn't worked any at 43' and feels like its a long way split the difference (41.5') for a few workouts.

As for the riseball in general I've seen very few kids in HS or college that throw a real riser (if, in fact it really exists but that's another story). Most are really throwing high fastballs with bullet spins. This includes some of the pitchers who have been identified on this site as having excellent risers. Its extremely difficult to throw the "counter spin" rise. Look at Ernie Parker's videos. He will compliment the students on throwing the correct spin but if you slow it down you'll see it's still a bullet and not a counter spin. It really doesn't matter, though, if they get batters out.

3. curverise

curverise Full Access Member

Agreed

Agreed Duke. The true backspin rise seems to "hit a parachute" right in front of the plate and actually slows down very quickly. I radared a real good rise ball pitcher and got 61 MPH right out of the hand and when I held the gun down until right before it reached the plate, I got 55 MPH. Just my observations...:blah: :blah:

4. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

5. EnkaJet04

EnkaJet04 Full Access Member

You are talking about programs that have such luxuries. Unfortunately thats not the case for most hs teams. I think it would only help the strong teams get stronger. Way too many teams with 1 suspect pitcher at best is too often the rules. Do I disagree with your opinions? Not at all just based in reality in too many cases to be feasible

6. EnkaJet04

EnkaJet04 Full Access Member

7. EastOfRaleigh

pitchers

I think in many ways the very good softball pitchers are taken for granted. You come to expect them to pitch scoreless games, no hitters, one hitters, etc, as a routine part of the game. You come to really expect the scoring to be low & go to the park expecting extra inning games. It's just the way that skilled fastpitch girls softball is.

8. goducks

goducks Full Access Member

40' vs 43'

My dd pitches @ 40' in HS ball but trains @ 43'. She has done this since her freshman year. The adjustments are relatively minor for her. It has helped her movement pitches greatly and has forced her to work harder to "pop the mit". She pitched last summer in tournaments at both 40' & 43'; she prefers 43' because her junk is even better. All three of the pitchers from her TB team made the adjustment easily, however they are all "serious pitchers"(have pitching coaches and train year-round).To say moving the rubber back 3' is going to help the batters totally depends on what the pitcher has. If a pitcher relies on the fastball the majority of the time it is a definate advantage for the batters. The pitchers with good junk will be even harder to hit. If batters trained like serious pitchers the hits would come, but then again the serious batters already know that and so do the pitchers! :twocents:

9. EastOfRaleigh

batting

agree ; practically speaking it is more difficult to "train" for batting than pitching. think about it.

10. Dukedog4

Dukedog4 Full Access Member

Correct

All you need to train for pitching is Dad on the bucket. Hitting is very different. The truth is T-work, soft toss and even machine hitting only gets you so far. You must see live pitching to improve. In truth, I suspect most great hitters are born that way. They have a gift of great eye sight quick hands (see Ted Williams). I bet 70% of all hitting practice makes little difference.