1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2007 JV thread going into confrence play

Discussion in 'Girls Basketball' started by tman, Dec 24, 2006.

1. tman

tman tman

Freedom JV loses to Mcdowell

McDowell took it to Freedom 49-30 in a one-sided contest. This was not the Freedom team that generally takes the court. Maybe it was the crowd or the fact that it was McDowell but they just never found their game tonight. Turnovers really killed them as McDowell took advantage of Freedoms mistakes and blew it out pretty early. One thing I have noticed is Freedom will start trying to do to much if it is a big game.. they don't take care of the ball and instead of running the offense and looking for the good pass they try to make the big play. I have to say McDowell was ready to play and when you play a solid team like that you can't be sloppy or this will be the result. Like in the last game the defense didn't rotate well and allowed the post player with the red hair to eat them up inside. Also McDowell guards picked off all the bad passes to get alot of fast breaks. No one on Freedom had a great game and a couple of times they just didnt give the effort. One thing Freedom needs to remember is the fact they played a very sloppy and uninspired game tonight so if they play like they generally do they can hang with them next time. Coach Gregory tried alot of different line-ups and maybe that was part of the reason it was so frantic but sometimes as coach you try to find someone to step up and be a spark. Only thing i would have liked to see was Shannon on the floor more as she is calmer and makes better descisions with the ball but it was more than one player or position tonight. Hats off to Mcdowell for a well played game but they didnt get Freedoms best. Hopefully Freedom will get back to playing team ball as Freedom has awesome guards but like I have said before they need to work it inside if they want to open it up outside. East Burke is up next and they will be ready to play so freedom needs to just let this one go and get pumped for this one.

2. mtnman

mtnman Full Access Member

Does anyone have the current standings for the JV teams?

3. tman

tman tman

JV standings

I dont know all the teams but i know that in conference play Mcdowell, Freedom and East Burke all have one loss each.... dont know about others... maybe someone can help with the other teams

4. NW1Fan

NW1Fan Full Access Member

EB vs Freedom

EB jvs beat Freedom by 7 in OT. EB had an 11 pt. lead at the half. Freedom made a good run in the 2nd.
    I think EB and McDowell jvs both have one loss.

5. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

McDowell beat Reynolds fairly large margin last night. McDowell has one loss in the JV's that coming to East Burke.

6. tman

tman tman

Freedom JV loses to East Eurke 52-45 in OT

This was a great game to watch as both teams were fired up the whole game. Except for the turnovers it looked like a totally different Freedom team than the one that played at Mcdowell. It appeared EB was going to make sure Brittiany didnt beat them and it led to her having a off game. She tries too hard to carry the team because she wants to win so bad but that leads to turnovers and some wild passes but she will be fine and prob. score 25 next game. Anyone that watches her knows she will be a solid varsity player but just needs a little seasoning which is what JV is perfect for. I was impressed with some of the sophmores stepping up though. Saudia along with Sherrane, Shannon and Brittany Harrell done a nice job of running the offense by committe so in the long run it may have been good for others to carry the load. I am a bit surprised that Keona isn't playing varsity for EB but she wasnt as big a factor as I thought she would be as Brooke and Mandy worked well together to slow her down. Mandy was also handling the ball more than normal and got a couple of three's I think. Overall Freedom's defense was MUCH better as the rotations were better and they didnt allow many of the easy baskets they have been giving up. They don't really have a go-to scorer except Brittany and sometimes Brooke if she is on so Mandy needs to keep scoring three's and they need more defense like they showed here. It was a hard played game and both teams should be proud of the effort.

7. tman

tman tman

Freedom JV loses in OT to Watauga 45-42

Well they are really working hard to win but just coming up short. I missed some of the game stuck in traffic so I don't know how things started but saw how it played out. Freedom got up by 7 points but allowed Watauga to tie it up at the half so it was a new game coming out of the break. Freedom has some talent but they play with their heart and forget you have to use your head as well. Bad passes are flat out killing them every game as it did in this one. It seems like they are looking to make the spectacular pass instead of the one good one to set something up. They also need to mix up the sets they run and someone please go left every now and then. I saw them run the same set to the right over and over , I think it was triangle and Watauga started breaking on the passes and getting easy points. Last week they did a player swap with the varsity . Shimika wasn't happy with her playing time so she wanted to came back to the JV team and Coach Fox wanted Kelly for depth and to get experience going against varsity players so they basically swapped players. Shimika played well in her debut and had a good game on the boards and didn't get into foul trouble but she needs to watch the outlet passes. I will give Freedom credit on defense though.. since the McDowell game they have really stepped it up and are playing some tough defense. I am not picking on any one player as everyone from the guards to the post was throwing the ball all over the gym. If they take care of the ball a little better and mix things up they will be fine as the talent is there. No one should look past Watauga though as they are solid and play smart basketball. I know they beat East Burke as well so they may be tied with McDowell in the JV standings. Freedom is playing hard and the wins will start coming soon, the breaks are just not falling their way right now. Brittany had a better game and Mandy has found her three point shot but they have to get more in the paint and everyone needs to run the sets right. this was a tough one to lose as this is the 2nd OT game in a row they came up short but they played with heart and thats the main thing.

8. tman

tman tman

Freedom JV gets a win over AC Reynolds

Well they finally got the breaks they needed to get a 38-35 win last Friday. It was another back and forth game and I thought it may be ANOTHER overtime affair but they made the stop when they had to and Brittany got a tough basket that buttoned it up. Coach Gregory should be praised for the difference they have played on defense, just a few games ago they couldn't stop anyone but now they have stepped it up. On offense they still are a little to dependent on just a couple of sets but they are doing a better job on the boards and that is leading to more opportunities. Since coming down from varsity Shimika is banging the boards but needs to stop picking up cheap fouls slapping at the ball. A good straight up block without fouling is better than a highlight block with a foul , but she is playing hard and having fun. Mandy looks like she has accepted playing wing and has started handling the ball more. She is finding her shots as Freedom needs another scorer to open up the inside for Brooke and Shimika. Sherrane ( may have misspelled her name) has gotten more playing time as of late and has done well except for the turnovers, but Freedom as a team needs to take better care of the ball. One player that has not played as much is Shannon and she tends to not be as flashy but she is smarter with the ball but for whatever reason she isn't really in the mix that much. This was a much needed win for them as they have lost some tough ones, now to finish up well.

9. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

McDowell beat East Burke 36-32 in double overtime last night. The Lady Titan Jayvees are now 7-2 in conference play.

10. tman

tman tman

Freedom gets a win over South Caldwell 50-35

It was a nice win for them as everyone got into the mix. Brittany got to play with the varsity tonight so Saudia handled most of the point but Sherrane and Brittany Harrell also ran things alot tonight. It was good to see the girls having fun and taking advantage of the playing time they all got . They played really good till half-time with the scoring coming from everywhere and everyone being active on defense. They were ahead by double digits most of the 1st half but almost blew it in the 2nd half. They came out like the game was over to after the break but give SC credit as they kept fighting the whole game and cut the lead to about 5. Freedom got lazy on defense and was soft on the boards and SC was getting it going till Mandy made a 3 pointer that took the steam out of them right before the buzzer in the 3rd. No one player took over for Freedom but Mandy was feeling it and scored around 15 or so and hit a couple of big shots. She can play post on the JV but really needs to embrace playing wing on the varsity level . They have post players but could use a player like her that likes to step out and hit the 3's. If she will work on her ball-handling she can be really valuable on varsity the next couple of years. One thing that I have noticed is none of the guards except Brittany really looks to drive the ball to the hoop. Saudia is a decent ball-handler and Sherrane and Tierra have enough quickness to get inside but they seem hesitent to take it strong to the hoop. Even if they don't score it makes the other team respect the drive and opens it up inside. This was good win for Freedom and one they needed to keep them up.