1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2007 Senior Legion State Championship (Garner, NC)

Discussion in 'American Legion' started by JM15, May 30, 2007.

1. west boy

west boy Full Access Member

sounds like a good idea

2. superwright

superwright Full Access Member

Is this how's it's been run in the past?
    I feel the Area II team of Scotland County has been short changed. Especially, if New Bern wins the tournament and Garner doesn't win a game at all. Nothing against Garner, but Scotland was under the impression that if they won their division they would be going to the state tournament. They didn't find out until a couple of days after they won the west division.
    If a team is going to host a tournament and they didn't win their division, then there should be nine teams in the tournament. The eight deserving teams and the host team. This should have been explained before season started. If it was explained then I guess Scotland didn't get the message for whatever reason. A lot of very deserving players are sitting home that should have still been in contention for a title! JMO

3. legionguy17

legionguy17 Full Access Member

this is the way it's been in the past... last year, High Point-Thomasville hosted the event and didn't even qualify for the playoffs in their own division but they were given a berth while Area III runner-up, Randolph, didn't qualify

4. JM15

JM15 Moderator

I agree with you superwright, but we (Eastern NC) need to start putting the money into legion ball before we can complain. If it wasn't for Garner ('01, '07), the State Tournament would have been in the West ever since it started in 2000 except for Fayetteville ('03?) hosting one year.

It's a shame Post 50 has to stay at home, thats just how things go sometimes. I feel for those guys.

And about Garner... They finished 2nd in their half of the Area 1 West during the regular season and won the first two rounds of the playoffs before losing to a good Durham team in the Area 1 West Championship. Much different that Thomasville's story last season.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  5. GoBraves1978

GoBraves1978 Junior Member

Pretty decent contribution for a first post, I feel ...

State tournament pairings
    N.C. American Legion officials released the N.C. State tournament pairings for next week’s tournament in Garner.
    In the August 8 opening day, Area II champion Morehead City will play the Area III runnerup (Rowan County or Randolph County) at 9:30 a.m.; the Area IV runnerup (Caldwell or Cherryville) will play the Area I champion (Durham or Wayne County) at 12:30 p.m.; the Area IV champion (Caldwell or Cherryville) will play the Area I runnerup (Durham or Wayne County) at 4:30 p.m.; and host Garner will play the Area III champion (Rowan County or Randolph County) at 7:30 p.m.
    The eight-team, double-elimination will continue through August 12.

Courtesy Freedom News Service

6. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Pretty sure games 3 and 4 are at 3:30 and 6:30. opening ceremonies will be wednesday between games 3 and 4. i'll have to check on that.

7. Capsbaseballlhp

Capsbaseballlhp Full Access Member

Is it just me

Is or anyone else ready to hit trojan field at 9:30 next wed. and just sit there for the rest of the day

8. JM15

JM15 Moderator

ill be there from about 7am-midnight each day. feel free to join.

9. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

sign me up. I need some free tickets

10. tools

tools Full Access Member

Same thing happened last year in area III with High Point, I don't believe they even qualified for Area III tourney, but was the 2nd seed for that Area. I agree the host team should make the 9th team.