1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2008-09 Northwestern 4A Predictions: The end of an era

Discussion in 'Girls Basketball' started by bigdan, Oct 12, 2008.

1. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the last year of one of the most prominant basketball conferences in the history of the NCHSAA. If you look at the Conference, you got schools like McDowell, Freedom and East Burke that have been the core members going back to the 1970's. During the late 70's and 80's you also had schools such as Alexander Central, Asheville, Hickory, Ashbrook, Watauga, South Caldwell and others that were or still are a part of the NW4A. Then in the 90's, Crest joined. And at the start of the current decade, AC Reynolds joined the list of programs that have been a part of this great conference.

As we go through this last season of the NW4A, I will have to select some different topics so we can all talk about some of the great memories that each and every one of us has had being members of the Northwestern 4A Conference.

Now with that all said...we are two weeks away from the first practice of the 2008-09 season. It's time to start talking NW4A girls basketball. Who are the favorites? Who are the individuals to watch? Who could be a suprise team this season? Do we have any teams in conference that are a legit regional and state title contender?

2. dribbles

dribbles Full Access Member

All-Time

OK I will start with something we ended talking about last season that is pretty signifigant:
    (bdan and M.Queen supplied stats)

Career Points Scored

NW4A Women
    Kurrie Washington - McDowell (06-08) 1,975
    Ali Ford - Freedom- (06- 09) thru Jr yr- 1,857
    Christa Hull East Burke (84-87) 1,784

Men:
    Jenis Grindstaff had 2,102.

With a season left to play it is likely Ali Ford will end the NW4A era as the all time leading scorer, men or women.

I'm sure Anna Atkinson (McD) will remain the all-time assist leader.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  3. tonync55

tonync55 Full Access Member

Thanks for starting this thread BigDan. First off I think Freedom should be a legit state contender this year. They have several good players returning to Support Ford and I believe they also got a good player from East Burke's team to transfer over also. Ali Ford should finish her career out as the leading scorer in the NW4A. Although I don't believe her overall shooting percentage compares to Washington and others before her. I'd like to see BigDan or someone find those stats. But points are points and that's all that counts. Ali was lucky to play for a program that allowed her to shoot the ball as often as she has. And when she's on we all know how she can score from behind the arch.
    One of the things I will remember most is the past 3 years were the one on one match ups between McDowell's Washington and Freedom's Ford. It seemed like Washington always managed to find a way to help the lady titans win. I know this was frustrating to Dribbles but the record is what it is.

This should be Freedom's year to shine but I wouldn't count out the Lady Titans. Coach Franklin is a great coach and he will get the most out of the talent he has to work with.

As for the rest of the conference I look for Reynolds to rebound and be strong. They may challenge Freedom for 1st.we'll see.

South Caldwell could be the sleeper team this year. I believe they had a lot of good young talent last year and if they come together they could upset some teams.

I'm afraid things don't look so bright for East Burke. They lost several good players from last year to Draughn and 1 transfered to Freedom. I believe they were all starters last year.

Watauga should be more competitive this year if their fans will get behind their coaches and players.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  4. Wildcat Fan

Wildcat Fan Full Access Member

Who came to Freedom from EB?

5. bigdan

If you go to the Freedom Athletics website, Keonna Lewis must have transferred from East Burke to Freedom because she is on their roster for this year.

6. datadiva

datadiva Junior Member

Keep in mind, when Hull was at East Burke (85-87) it was still a Senior High School with only grades 10-12 and she wasn't shooting 3-pointers, they weren't yet a part of the high school game.

7. NW1Fan

NW1Fan Full Access Member

Does anyone have the stats on Kerrie Gardin (spelling?) from Freedom. She was named Ms. Basketball the year they won states (not sure what year), also played at Virginia Tech and is now in the WNBA. I would think she would have some pretty impressive stats, if Freedom has them from that era.

8. JammersFan

JammersFan Junior Member

I have to agree with Dribbles on this one, his daughter is about to set the scoring record in one of the best conferences in the state. A big accomplishment. She deserves alot of credit for her hard work. She is a great athlete. And this year she will fefinately win some championships this year, something that she has not been able to do in the past. Im predicting no more than two loses the entire season. This team is loaded.

9. bigdan

It seemed to me that Gardin finished with like 1800 pts for her career. IF you go to the WNBA website, this is what they have posted for her days at Freedom... Averaged 18.4 points, 13.1 rebounds, 4.4 assists, 3.9 steals and 2.0 blocks

She being a post player had more solid all around stats (rebounds, blocks, etc...). And even though the offense was focused around Gardin, she had more options on her team, Kerri was an unselfish player but when it came to late in the game the ball was in her hands.

10. dribbles

dribbles Full Access Member

From FHs website: http://www.burke.k12.nc.us/fhs/sports/index.html

Ali Ford career- (thru junior season)
    pts -1857
    FG% 52
    3pt %- 38
    FT% 82

currently ranked 3rd NC player all time-- in made 3 pt shots