1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2008 Conference Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Girls Basketball' started by bigdan, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Bunky

Bunky .

too many missed high percentage shots by east meck. butler kept their cool and drilled key baskets at the very end of the 3rd quarter.

2. tonync55

tonync55 Full Access Member

I agree with you 100%. I also believe if a sign is picking at an opposing player it can backfire and fire that player up. That happened at McDowell back it the 90's when the Holland girl played for Freedom and came to the titan dome and the fans picked on her.

3. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

I would like to chime a few comments after having a few hours to reflect...

This was about as good a Freedom/McDowell game that we've had in a while. I would like to congratulate Coach Fox on the job she has done in the three games against us this year. My initial guess is that this may be the last time we will face each other this season. If somehow we do cross paths for a 4th time there would be a heck of a lot more at stake than just a conference tournament championship. I hope that your team makes a good run in the playoffs.

As far as the game goes...there was great effort from just about everybody. Autumn Ward make some big 3's early in the game. Kelsea Greene played her tail off once again. She only scored four points but she dished out 10 assists and most importantly she played exceptional defense on Ali Ford. Ebonique played well but Freedom did a good job especially in the second half doubling on her and making the other players make the play. And then in the end Kurie, for the third time (this year) in this series, made the big plays at the end including the game winner with 6.5 to go.

Freedom has nothing to feel bad about even in a losing effort. Jasmine Conley contributred for the Lady Patriots on the offensive end. Freedom also got some good play in the interior from Olivia Surratt, Jewel Walker and others. Collectively they got a lot of second-change points.

But as far as the two main threats on this team goes...I've seen them play now numerous times over the past two months. I know I'm taking the chance of pissing off one of our fellow message board members by saying this but with tonight's performance I feel like Chelsea Connelly means as much to this team as Ali Ford does. Chelsea is a very good player who can create off the dribble. She has a good range. And BTW she can defend. On the otherhand, Ali...yes she is a good player, she can score. But all it takes is a couple trips down court early in the game with no good looks to get her frustrated and then she starts forcing things. That was pretty much Ali's first half in a nutshell. Meanwhile Connelly (after receiving two early fouls) just kept her cool and kept playing her game. Ali never got in any sense of a rhythm until it was too late.

As far as the final play went...if you are both teams you better get used to the style of calling that you saw tonight. The refs will not bail you out in the playoffs.

4. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

Wasn't Butler and East tied in the season standings? If so does that put Butler as the #1 from the SW4A?

5. carouselambra

carouselambra Member

Triangle Area Conference Finals

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/preps/

Triangle-8
    Athens Drive (1) 59 Apex (2) 57

Greater Neuse
    Southeast Raleigh (2) 61 Garner (1) 47 Garner retains #1 seed

Piedmont Athletic Conference (PAC) 6
    Hillside (1) 68 Jordan (3) 51

Capital 7
    Wakefield (1) 51 Millbrook (2) 37

6. obxbb

obxbb Junior Member

Northeastern Corner

Finals

Albemarle Conference (1A)

Camden County 49
    Manteo 42

Northeastern Coastal Conference (2A/3A)
    2A #3 First Flight 54
    3A Bertie 50

Atlantic Conference (1A)

#1 Williamston 61
    Roanoke 57

Top ranked Williamston goes into the state tournament undefeated.

http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Te...Varsity_Basketball_Winter_07-08/NorthCarolina

First Flight's only loss was an OT loss to Pasquotank at Pasquotank during the regular season. In the semi-finals of the conference tournament, First Flight rolled over Pasquotank holding them to only five points in the first half.

7. TitanFanForever

TitanFanForever Full Access Member

I believe sings are allowed during regular season, it's when you get into tournament and sectionls and so forth. In fact at the championship games you aren't even allowed to wear t-shirts with anything written on them.. go figure, I agree let the fans show school spirit especially if they've made it to the championship game, few years back when the Lady Titans made it to the big game a player's dad bought a case of pom poms for the fans and he wasn't allowed to bring the box inside. It was quite a picture to see him walking in with about 50 of them tucked into his pants and everybody else carrying them...