1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2008 VOLLEYBALL SCORES & DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Volleyball Forum' started by cheeze105, Aug 18, 2008.

1. vbdad

vbdad Full Access Member

standing

as of september 22 the standings are as follow

NW 4a..............conference......overall
    AC.......................6-0..............12-0
    A.C. REYNOLDS......4-1
    WATAUGA.............4-1
    E. BURKE..............2-3................3-3
    McDOWELL...........1-4
    FREEDOM.............1-4
    S. CALDWELL........0-5

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. vbdad

vbdad Full Access Member

EB vs MH

E. BURKE BEAT McDOWELL 3-1, thus anybody knows WH vs ACRH results?:operator:

3. topdog5532

topdog5532 Full Access Member

Watauga v AC Reynolds

Watauga defeated Reynolds 3-0 in Asheville last night........

4. vbdad

vbdad Full Access Member

thanks

Thanks for posting the scores on WH-ACRH

:policeman:

5. 2upthemiddle

2upthemiddle Full Access Member

Question

New to the volleyball scene, you can tell from my username. Looking into club volleyball (DD is a freshman), but she still wants to play school softball in the spring. Is it possible to juggle both along with schoolwork? Are there any clubs that cater to this situation? Any advice about club volleyball - she's played travel softball for years. Thanks for the volleyball forum - it's a great sport!

6. PersonRocketDad

PersonRocketDad Moderator

Person Rockets/PAc-Six Conference update

Last night the Chapel Hill Tigers swaggered into Rocket Gym and took a bite out of the Rockets and swept the Rockets 3-0. The Tigers were very sharpe and played as a team with nothing to loose and were very effecient against the Rockets. The Tigers payed the Rockets back from there early season loss to the Rockets 25-19/25-22/25-19. The loss by the Rockets dropped them into second place in the Pac-six.
    Other action in the Pac-six:
    League leader East Chapel Hill had there hands full at Riverside but pulled out the win 3-2. 23-25/26-24/25-19/20-25/15-11.
    Jordan was at Nothern Durham and swept the Knights 3-0. 25-17/26-24/25-10.
    Standings as of 09/24/2008:
    East Chapel Hill: 7-1 PAc Six 10-5 Overall
    Person: 6-2 Pac Six 12-3 Overall
    Riverside: 5-3 Pac Sic 9-5 Overall
    Chapel Hill: 5-3 Pac Six 5-9 Overall
    Jordan: 5-3 Pac Six 11-4 Overall
    Northern: 2-6 Pac Six 4-9 Overall
    Southern: Unknown
    Hillside: Unknown

With 5 teams making the playoffs this year from the Pac-Six Conference there is going to be a battle for that top spot for the conference champion as home team advantage is BIG during the Playoffs. Will update again after THursday night games as the Rockets have a crucial home game against Riverside in Rocket Gym.

7. hotsundad

hotsundad Full Access Member

2 sports

2upthemiddle, it will be difficult to juggle both JO volleyball and travel softball. Both happen in the spring. If you were the one in control of practice and tournament schedules for both teams, you could make it work. Otherwise somebody gets cheated somewhere. Same with basketball. The AAU and YBOA seasons are in the spring. Trust me, I would like to see athletes play everything, but sometimes it can't work. Good Luck!!! I hope it works out...

8. PersonRocketDad

PersonRocketDad Moderator

Club Volleyball and softball

2upthemiddle, I'm going to offer my opinion (and it's just an opinion plus some experience).
    First I think it is great that an student athlete plays more than one sport. But also if a kid is better in one than another they may want to start specializing in that sport and refine there skills in that sport. Not to mention the cost to the parents and time commentment. But that should be up to the student. If they want to play two sports I think it is great. Now if you have a legtimate athlete with college potential in a sport......I would concentrate on that sport.
    Now back yo your original question. And I am going to address this from to perspectives. One as a coach and one as a parent.
    Coaching Perspective: What kind of club ball are you considering? I ask this because of cost and time for you as a parent and what kind of committment will I get as a coach. There are different levels of competition for club ball and vastly different levels of money you can spend. if she is looking just to play the sport do a local club team (ask around your area for who is good) and be upfront with the coach about softball. Most will work with you about the schedule. One advantage you have is the Carolina Region Volleyball Tournaments are already scheduled for 2009 as probably most softball tournaments so you can look at potential conflicts. All Carolina Region tournaments are usually on Saturdays only unless there is a exception for some reason. Now if your daughter has the potential to be a stud volleyball player you may want to try out for a club team that plays more on the national level and travels more out of state to the top tournaments and will see the best competition. These tournaments are also already scheduled and you would need to be upfront with the coaches going in if there may be a conflict. Most coaches will work with a kid if they play both. I know I have in the past.
    Parents Perspective: Money, Money, Money!!! Unless you daughter has the desire, committment, and skills to play college volleyball OR softball don't waste your money with travel teams so much. Having already been through and experienced recruiting for my son and highschool baseball and currently with my daughter and volleyball and seeing the recruiting process in both sports one thing is a constant; if they are good they will come and see your kid! I truly believe money is best spent if a kid wants to be seen by going to schools and attending there camps!! Especially the ones that have other college coaches working the camps. And in volleyball the big out of state tournaments are where the coaches visit to see recruits and like other sports the coaches are a close knit family and share information on players.
    Volleyball IS a great sport and a great experience for kids! I didn't mean to get long winded and this is just my opinion as I am sure other people have some information to share also.
    I suggest you go to this website for tons of great information for our state region volleyball association called Carolina Region Volleyball. The schedules for the 2009 season are already posted with tentative dates. Also there is a listing of all clubs in the state.
    www.carolinaregionvb.org
    If you have any questions or want to discuss more drop me a private message. Good luck to your daughter!
    Bruce Moore

9. 2upthemiddle

2upthemiddle Full Access Member

Thanks

Thanks for the information. I kind of figured travel softball and club volleyball were not a good mix, but wondered about high school softball mixed with club. Sounds like the best bet is to be upfront with the coaches about scheduling difficulties. As for potential, the coaches think she has some, but I'm new to this thing, so who knows? I looked at the schedule on the link - does it really end for most players by mid-April? What do the summers look like for those committed to volleyball? Attending camps and summer practices with the school team? One more question - sorry - is it best to try out for an older club team and be told you're not good enough, then fall back on one of the younger teams?

10. vbdad

vbdad Full Access Member

club ball

The best thing for a player is to play on theyr own age bracket, I do coach travel volleyball, and on years past have girls that play up and also that play sofball, on my personal opinion is firts: stay as much you can witing your age group, is more fun and enjoyable second: on my personal and humble opinion, stick with whetever sport you love the most, it hurts a team to loose a player in the middle of the season and is hard to find a replacement later on