1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2009 travel ball tournaments

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by SC-ASA, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

not trying to stir up anything... just have a question...

... the tournament is labeled "Best of the Best" and says "Invitational". Does that mean that teams will have to be truly one of the top teams to get in, or can a team be entered by sending in the fee?
    I hope it is the former instead of the latter. That way it could really draw the recruiters for the 16u and 18u teams. That's something we need here and Brooks is the perfect location!

2. softball247

softball247 Full Access Member

GMan -

We are trying to attract the best (hence the name). We are sending out some invites, and if teams are up to the task, they can contact me for more info if they feel they truly are "top notch." Does that clear it up?

3. erms

erms Full Access Member

So the entry fee will be accepted until the brackets are full invited or not?

4. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

Who are the best teams? In each age group? Ballpark guess--doesn't have to be anything but opinion.

5. trooper

trooper Banned From TBR

So if softball247 feels a team is not the "best of the best" they do not get in. You may (this is just my opinion) have some outside help in choosing teams. WndMillR would be a good choice to help out as we all know of his softball knowledge. I also believe he has played a few games in his younger years. Just a thought. Wish you guys the best.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  6. WndMillR

WndMillR Full Access Member

Ugly Dark Road

we are walking down......

Let's play nice..........

I can't see anything positive coming out of this....
    The concept is great.....but everyone will have an opinion on who is deserving or not...

This could get ugly and hurt some feelings....

Settle it on the field

7. Blue one

Blue one Member

Right

You are right Charlie! One solution might be to have teams fill out a form or write a letter covering tournaments played over the past two years, qualifier attended, showcases attended, records, kids recruited for college in 18U division, reference letters form college coaches, etc. Five years ago when we started in Showcase circuit, these type of things were required to get in the mix.
    Younger groups could also show tournamnets attended, states, regional or national qualifiers, records and teams played, etc. A committee could evaluate on a point system, Ex: 3 points for finishing top five in states ASA or NSA and other organizations, 2 points for .600 record or better, 4 points for Nationals top 10, etc.
    Just a thought, have fun! I am sure the Challengers mean well and will be fair!

8. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

Be the Best

Maybe they need to change the name of it to "Be the Best Invitational". At the end of the tournament we will know who is Best. You ain't gonna know if you don't show!! You've been Challenged!!

9. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

247, I truely do hope ya'll can get the best teams there and I applaud you for trying to! I'm sure there are some knowledgable folks right here on tbr that could list the top teams in the state. I live 10 minutes from Brooks and would love to go see the "Best of the Best" battle it out... and there are probably some college coaches that would like to see that also.
    Good luck and look forward to seeing who is going to be there!

10. Stingray12

Stingray12 Full Access Member

NC Challengers, best of luck on your tournment. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. I work with an organization that runs a tournament with the same format as yours. Remember, college coaches want to see prospects playing against good competition. If it is promoted as such and you do iinvite the best available to the tournament, then the college coaches will come.

But, no matter who you invite, someone is going to voice their opinion that so and so was not invited or why was so and so invited. Here is what we have posted on our applications and our website:
    This seems to have worked well.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009