1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2010 NCHSAA Regional Basketball Pairings...

Discussion in 'Girls Basketball' started by bigdan, Feb 26, 2010.

1. scfan

scfan Full Access Member

Dang, Butler must have really turned it on in the 4th !!

2. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

Sorry for the lack of updates, there were some circumstances beyond my control that didn't allow me to post any updates...

As far as the game goes, Butler once again is just the better team. But I am proud of the way our girls played tonight. As has been a common thing (for some reason) for McDowell teams over the years in the regionals...they get down early and is playing catch-up mode the rest of the game. Tonight was no different. Butler took a 12-2 lead 5 minutes in, McDowell battled back to as close as 5. Just as soon as the Lady Titans looked to get a rally going, Butler answered with 6 or 8 points in a row...I bet they did that at least 3 times tonight.

The game, that was in the double figures most of the 2nd half did get as close as 9 points with less than 5 minutes left. But seven quick points and that sealed it for Butler.

Again...the effort given by McDowell was there, it was just too height inside. Xandi Gellman lead McDowell with 17 points, Jami Medford scored 9, Jaalen Corpening added 8. Corpening's ability to drive and pull up was taken away simply due to Butler's length.

This makes 2 years in a row we have played Butler and once again I think Watkins is the key to their winning a state championship. The guard play is average, which compared to last year is a downgrade. But Watkins needs the ball every single possession. She is one of the best women's players I have seen. Vandy got a steal.

Burdick comes across IMO as one who always needs motivation. Burdick 6'2" was being challenged most of the night by a 5'5" guard. I would be courious from the QC crowd if that is a fair description of her?

McDowell will lose a total of six seniors...all six has done a very good job at representing McDowell High and the community. This group in particular is special to me because it's the first group that I have been able to follow as a writer as they came up through the system. Autumn, Jaalen, Jami, Kaitlin, Xandi and McKenzie were 8th graders my first year of contributing to our local paper. Hard to believe they are all done as high school basketball players. It's been a fun ride...