1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2011 All State teams

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by big, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpectus6

xpectus6 Full Access Member

I do not know the stats of most of the players on the list, but its quite possible that their stats are better. And if your response is that they aren't, then I'll submit a second possibility.

The only two teams with multiple players making 4A All-State were Holly Springs and T.C. Roberson, with 2 players each. Considering this player was in the championship series, he would have been from either HS or TCR (and I'm guessing TCR since I don't know anyone with 11 HR's on HS). Considering TCR already had 2 players make All-State, its likely that the selection committee did not want to add a third player from the same school, especially since HS, the state champs, would justifiably deserve a third member as well. This would have left 6 out of 29 players (over 20%) represented by 2 high schools. All-State refers to the best players representing the entire state, not just two teams.

Personally, I'm one of those people that gets annoyed when the Yankees and Red Sox make up half the AL All-Star team.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I have no specific idea of the credentials used. However, the Conference POY's seem to always be automatic. All of the players selected are deserving. The problem lies with the number of quality players versus the number of selections.

I know it's never easy to do these type selections--there will always be deserving players left off, but here is another puzzling situation in a selection process. A kid was named All State POY last year. This year his numbers were even better as he led his team to the regular season and conference championship. He, also, is the only HS player in NC drafted this year in the 1st round....yet he didn't get selected as his conference POY...go figure!

But I believe a player on a State Championship series team should be in the criteria.

I love these awards...and I cringe every time they come out. The players that make it get minimized in their accomplishment over the players that don't get selected.

3. 2Seamer

2Seamer Full Access Member

2A Team Posted

More to honor and discuss!!!

2011 NCBCA All-State Baseball Teams - 2A

August 4, 2011
    North Carolina

[​IMG]
    Click to view image
    2011 2A All-State Baseball Team

J.D. Chaplain, Owen

Derek Deaton, East Rutherford

Kyke Britt, Fairmont

Eddie Hawkins, South Lenoir

Gary Ferguson, West Davidson

Dylan Richardson, Randleman

Jeremy Null, Bunker Hill

Clay Lockaman, Roanoke Rapids

Wes Sowers, Greene Central

Peter Hendel, Cuthbertson

Zach Cooper, South Granville

Tucker Coward, Eastern Randolph

Caleb Brawley, Forbush

Justin Leatherwood, Pisgah

Kevin Van Asch, West Stanly

Josh Cochran, West Stanly

Matt Ashorn, Farmville Central

Steven Linkous, North Brunswick

Gus Fesperman, North Stanly

Chip Helton, East Rutherford

Lucas Owens, East Rutherford

Brad Elwood, Piedmont

Joel Booker, Polk County

Roberto Taft, Polk County

Evan Dixon, Northwood

Jacob Shepherd, Bunker Hill

Saquan Johnson, East Bladen

Parker Hills, East Lincoln

Wiley Jackson, East Duplin

Curtis Linthicum, Randleman

(Note: No Player of the Year was released)

4. JM15

JM15 Moderator

What an honor. Congrats to all those guys.

5. 9strikes

9strikes Junior Member

Weddington had one in 3A and 4A Good Job!

6. baseballx3

baseballx3 Full Access Member

They play in a mixed conference of 4a/3a teams. Maybe that is the reason. don't know for sure, but could be why.

7. sportsnut

sportsnut Junior Member

For those of you that are "in the know" here are some stats to consider:

9-1 with a .74 ERA in 75 innings pitched
    9.6:1 strikeout to walk ratio (only 7 walks in 75 innings)
    9 complete games including a 9 inning shut out

and a complete game one hitter vs 4A state champs Holly Springs (one of only 2 losses on the season for them)

NO players on the all state team from this HS team.

Any guesses as to why these stats weren't good enough? Not sour grapes, just curious????

8. big

big Member

Just a thought, if all-state is to be the best players in the state it should not matter if one team has 1 or 3, if these are the best then they should be given the honor.

9. karlrocket

karlrocket Full Access Member

Just like the State Game selections, some good players are being missed. Congratulations to the All-State players & congratulations to the ones who were good enough to make it also. Sometimes, there's just not enough spots to take everybody.:cheers2:

10. xpectus6

xpectus6 Full Access Member

According to Newsobserver.com, that player only had 63 K's in 75 IP, translating to 5.9K/7IP.

To put that into perspective, Carlos Rodon (4A All-State POY and 3rd Team All-American by Baseball America) had 112 K's in 62 IP, translating to 12.6K/7IP. Dillon Maples (4A All-state Selection and 1st Team All-American by Baseball America) had 139 K in 67 IP, translating to 14.5K/7IP. Benton Moss (3A All-State Selection and 3rd Team All-American by Baseball America) had 148K's in 64 IP, translating to 16K/7IP.

Those stats are from the Baseball America website and I do not think they included high school play-offs, as Rodon finished with 133 K's according to Newsobserver.com stats.

So it probably had something to do with his low K numbers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.