1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

2013 Dirtbags baseball committs

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by LOLLIE, Jul 11, 2012.

1. LOLLIE

LOLLIE Full Access Member

It's all Buttermakers fault. He became weak for putting the subs in at the end of the game against the Yankees.[​IMG]

2. catcoach

catcoach Full Access Member

To your first quote, thank you for proving one of my MAIN points. These signed DI kids would have signed without any Showcase teams in existence. If they are being "recruited" by the showcases and being given "better deals" (uh, kinda sholarships?) then they didn't need them - and they weren't necessarily made better by them skill-wise.

To your second quote, well, that's what the good old High school coach is for. To HELP kids who aren't "showcase material" or who can't afford it - though their HS stats/60 times/velos may be superior to some of the showcase guys. We (we average ones) make calls, send emails, etc. - not just sit around and wait for big-time coaches to call us about one of our "all-stars".

On the last quote here, I would ask you to define talent - and another poster (90) to define "how you play the game". I can NAME, but will not - wouldn't - two players who graduated HS in 2009 from the triad, both CF. One was a showcase (big name - all on here would know) and one was "mine" and didn't ever play one inning of showcase. The big name was an all-everything and schollied to an SEC team. Mine was just 3 time all-conference, but "unknown". Stats were NO DIFFERENCE in all-area/conference converations. They were same size, stature and speed. I never understood why my guy was not on equal par as a name recognized - well, I did. It was Showcase factor. Anyway... big name is now home and looking, at least I think looking, to play. "My guy" went juco, then DII and has been all region/conference in both situations, top 3 in the order hitter on any team ever played for, and "plays the game right". Your talent guy didn't talent out - and I have heard didn't play/act "the right way".

Guys, call it what it is. Business. Showcase folks have capitalized in a business venture. Good. Great. I am a free enterprise guy. But it is about money. Guys they have on their squads, for the most part, are excellent and would have been excellent and signed without them - or, they are names or even marginal but can pay and get the opportunity.

There are many examples, but again, I will not name mames. Can't. Won't. I'm good with anyone calling me jealous or bitter or whatever. My shoulders are big enough. I will never say showcase doesn't do just that - showcase - and that it has gotten kids "seen". It doesn't get all kids seen. It doesn't get any kid seen without a price - or in the case of those receiving "discounts",without benefit to that showcase team.

Will all you guys be singing these same praises if/when the new flavor replaces your showcase mainstays?

Again, my shoulders are big (metaphorically) so feel free to discuss...

3. emptybullpen

emptybullpen Member

Catcoach...what is the price paid?

Cat coach, what is the price paid by SCP parents? It seems to me there is a major advantage monetarily for SCP FAMILIES. What is criteria to play for them? Seems to me they are every bit as competitive as DB. Ihave heard that character and integrity are selection criteria as well as skill.

EMPTY

4. throw 90

throw 90 Full Access Member

Discount

Discount is for the players who want to play the 5 or 6 tournaments in the fall. It cost 1500 to play all year jerseys cleats hat bat bag shorts and what ever else AP buys them. Free is for those players who can't afford to play legion or showcase that AP and families like me let them play and stay in a motel with me for free. Give to the people in need! I will always help a kid no matter what it is be showcase legion or LL Respect is running on the field as hard as you can and making singles into doubles! Yes sir and no sir is part of respect for the game

5. LOLLIE

LOLLIE Full Access Member

Lets take a look back in order to move forward.
    1. THE EXPLOSION OF AAU BALL IN THE 90'S.
    2. THE BEGINNING OF SHOWCASE BALL.
    3. WATERING DOWN AAU BALL BY ALLOWING DIFFERENT DIVISIONS.
    4. WATERING DOWN SHOWCASE EVENTS BY LETTING ANY OLD TEAM PLAY.

What is the next thing that will happen?

To me , seeing the large number of high school picks in the first round of the mlb draft means that college baseball, just like college basketball will suffer the conciseness.\\

It all starts here today folks....[​IMG]

6. catcoach

Mike,
    I can tell you the player who went SEC and came home was not yes sir/no sir. He was arrogant. His own HS teammates made comments that he should cut back on the mustard on field - and other teams hated his antics. But he had talent; I just felt not much more than others around. But he was a player for the premiere showcase group.

Again, as stated earlier, you personally are great to kids and would help in many ways. But as for financial help, I can promise you as a fact that in one of my first years I was contacted by one of the "Showcase Powers" and told," coach, just get him to come with us. He won't pay a thing." It wasn't poverty, they just wanted his bat and daddy was against it.

Look, I just need to let this go. Culture has changed. Work is still work - but even you guys are admitting, to an extent, that better/more oportunity can be afforded (bought) via showcase. And when I say culture has changed, I mean WAY more than just baseball.

To close, if I, in any way, appeared to be denegrating the young men on the list/roster that was linked to begin this discussion, I apologize. If anything, one of my main arguments is that players with talent (ie, them) would succeed even without showcase.

I will now try to stay away from the subject. I'm not proposing anything, just complaining about something I don't like. And the last time I checked, me not liking it doesn't make it a sin....

7. 1down22go

1down22go Full Access Member

Gentlemen, change is coming to our beloved sport. As one poster ( I believe is a HS coach) commented earlier, he had at least one player get signed with out ever speaking with the College coach. All was handled through his "Showcase" team.

Well, a recent article in the Charlotte Observer (June 15th) discussed the Club Soccer programs. (think Showcase baseball). Here the Elite teams are requiring their top players to choose between HS ball and Club ball. If your going to play with them, you will NOT be playing HS ball. The assumption is that the College recruiters do not come to HS games as they wish to see their recruits against the top tier players. They prefer to not see top tier players dominate against a lesser quality player.

Yes I understand that this is Soccer, but do not think it can't happen in baseball. While this is just another reason for me NOT to like Soccer, it does make me pause a little to think that HS baseball may not look the same in a few years.

I don't like it, but being on one of these teams DOES make a difference if your son desires to play in college or beyond.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  8. throw 90

throw 90 Full Access Member

Correct me if I'm wrong

I think a lot of the Elite teams in the south and maybe other places you have to be home schooled to play which makes me believed that they are not playing HS baseball now!I know at one time the Cobb teams you had to be home schooled to play! I love HS baseball and what it's about!But I agree with who knows what is next !

9. catcoach

Ending with irony -

My kids .......

ARE ...

HOMESCHOOLED!!!!!!!!!
    :roflmao:
    We are officially ready for the elite of the elite.

Have a great rest of your weekend!

10. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

CC- It's quite obvious you have a strong dislike for showcase..and I understand it. There are many in your position that don't like the concept "pay to play." Unfortunately, I don't know of any place (outside of the SCP organization) that doesn't have that...including many Legion programs. Let's understand that most Legion Posts no longer have much or any money. The Vets are "aging" out and there is nobody replacing them. So many Post programs are being funded by a Daddy.

If I happened to prove your point, then great. I'm glad I did. However you proved one of my points in a later sentence.

"Stats were NO DIFFERENCE in all-area/conference converations. They were same size, stature and speed. I never understood why my guy was not on equal par as a name recognized - well, I did. It was Showcase factor"

Bingo! See, you do understand why so many venture into Showcase. It presents opportunities that they may not have received without it. What a kid does with his opportunity rests on him.

You are assuming that most HS coaches are like John Fowler. While many will tell you, "calling coaches is not my job."...and that's a fact. There are some great HS coaches across our state, but there are many that are not. They would prefer to be back coaching golf. They don't care about field maintenance, fall workouts, or anything else it takes to put pride in a program. They certainly aren't going to spend extra time helping a player go beyond his HS years.

I don't believe anyone will argue about that. It is a business. However, the business is not run by inexperieced, non-baseball businessman. All do it because they love it...every aspect of it. And the fact that they were able to make a living while doing it is envious.

The Showcase "mainstays" will always be there. They've been there 10+ years and counting. The concept may be tweaked, but those teams will always be around.

The other area that shouldn't be confused are the academies. Scott Bankhead in Greensboro, The Hill's and Schaeffer in Charlotte, etc. that provide unbelievable year long training for their players. This is not showcase, this is player development. The work that the Hill family and their quality staff, Jeff Schaeffer (Jake Robbins) and staff have provided the players in the Charlotte area is priceless. And if a family can't pay the priceless----then they will offer scholarships.

I look at Showcase baseball teams and the academy's as two different businesses. The academies are all about development. It doesn't matter what team a kid plays for. The teams are about development and assisting with exposure (and the connections and credibility with the college coaches.)

The one thing that has never been mentioned is the credibility of the coaches at the "elite" teams. If Coach Shmoe from East Bugtussel HS calls Coach Fox about one of his players, he will not get a return call. If Andy Partin, Jeff Petty, Ricky Keith, Don Hutchins and others I already mentioned call Coach Fox. He will immediately contact them (or text.)