1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

3-0 count ; hit away?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by EastOfRaleigh, May 6, 2007.

1. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

Ever give guys the green light on 3-0?

2. matos23

matos23 Full Access Member

I've seen 2 players take a hack at a 3-0 pitch this year. One fouled off the pitch only to be walked on the next one. The other hit a go ahead homerun. Depends on who's at the plate obviously, but 90% of the time, i'd say no way. However, every team has that one or maby two players who they have the confidence in to allow them to swing away.

3. Rock N Fire

Rock N Fire Full Access Member

3-0

Crush it! What is there to lose?

4. TriadMan23

TriadMan23 Full Access Member

I'm a strong believer in not swinging at 3-0 pitches. Theres a low percentage chance that the pitcher can throw 3 strikes in a row and keep you off base.

If you take the 3-0 pitch and its a strike, so what? You're still in the best hitters count of all, 3-1, and the pitcher is still at the hitters mercy.

Baseball is a game of failure, you're only going to get a hit about 30-40% of the time even if you're a good hitter. You can easily swing at a 3-0 pitch and rip it right at someone for an out. The percentages say that its smarter to take the 3-0 pitch because if you go 3-0 theres an excellent chance you will draw a walk.

5. Baseball7690

Baseball7690 Member

Baseball is a game of failure, you're only going to get a hit about 30-40% of the time even if you're a good hitter. You can easily swing at a 3-0 pitch and rip it right at someone for an out. The percentages say that its smarter to take the 3-0 pitch because if you go 3-0 theres an excellent chance you will draw a walk.[/quote]

30% of statistics are false. I bet ya didnt know that. haha

6. 1Cannon0

1Cannon0 Headhunter

I would have to say it depends a lot on the pitcher. If your facing someone that has really good command of all of his pitches, swing it 3-0. If you take a fastball right down the middle, a guy with great control of his curveball or changeup might come back with that 3-1. Most of the time I would say go ahead an take 3-0 but there are occasions when giving the kid an opportunity to swing it right there can be very beneficial

7. jccunc1

jccunc1 29ers Fan

Madison Bumgarner from South Caldwell almost always gets the green light on a 3-0 count.

8. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Depends on the player... rarely do I give green light on 3-0, the percentages dont favor it. (when I find my percentages, will edit). My experience has been players swinging on 3-0 are swinging for the fence thinking at worse, they could be 3-1. The problem is IMHO, that swinging at 3-0 pitches results in fly outs because of swinging for the fence (the "grip it and rip it" mindset). It takes a special, very disciplined player that is willing to only swing at "his pitch in his spot" for me to green light him 3-0.

9. 23109shelby06

23109shelby06 Junior Member

A couple of things happen when the count goes 3-0, the pitcher knows he needs to throw a fastball for a strike, and the hitter knows the pitcher knows he needs to throw a fastball for a strike. Especially with runners in scoring position I definately think swinging away 3-0 is a good idea with a solid fastball hitter at the plate because if he walks then that leaves it up to somebody else who is not guarenteed to get a fastball. Walks could lead to big innings but when you have a solid pitcher on the mound take your rips when you are in control of him.

10. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

It depends on the situation

It totally depends on the situation. First of all the hitter. Do you have confidence in him being able to be selective and only swinging at his pitch if he gets it? And is he the type of hitter that if he gets it and he is looking for it he will do some serious damage if he does. We have two guys that have the automatic green light on 3-0. Usually they dont get anything to hit on this pitch. But when they have the results have been very good. The second situation is what is the score of the game? If we are way up let them have the opportunity to swing away. Give them a chance to learn. Giving the green light to a hitter that does not have serious power is not a good trade off imo. If he is probaly only going to hit a single anyway if he gets that pitch he is looking for then the choice is a no brainer. If he usually crushes a grooved pitch then let him the opportunity.