1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

3A Scouting Report: 2004 Season

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NCBBallFan, Nov 25, 2003.

1. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

Here's some more wild guesses. Have fun with them.

CLASS 3-A
    1, Ashbrook, 27-4
    2, Smithfield-Selma, 23-1
    3, Tuscola, 23-3
    4, Ragsdale, 23-4
    5, C.B. Aycock, 21-4
    6, West Rowan, 21-4
    7, Glenn, 17-6
    8, Kinston, 19-6
    9, Manteo, 21-5
    10, Piedmont, 17-7

Teams that will remain in contention:

Ashbrook (27-4) When the entire team returns from a state championship, you have to leave them on top of the heap. Ashbrook had a great season last year and return everyone. They are going to be difficult to beat.

Smithfield-Selma (23-1) When a team only has two key losses, you look at them as returning to form the next season. One one of those players is someone of the caliber of Jay Cox, you have to wonder. Still, SS should be strong again this season. Key Losses: Jason Evans, Barton, Jay Cox, UNC

West Rowan (21-4), Paul Link will be tough to replace on the mound, but WR has a great all around team returning. Look for them to repeat as the champs of the NPC, even though they will be pushed hard by AL Brown.

Kinston (19-6) A few losses here and there, but they should return to form and be solid again this season. Key losses: Chris Hatcher, UNC-W, Jordan Eubanks

Manteo (21-5) Manteo will be strong again. I’m not sure how deep of a run they will make, but it should be a good one. Key Losses: Chris Defago, Elon

Piedmont (17-7) Piedmont should come out of a relatively weak SPC again and repeat as champs. Though they have lost players, they also picked up Morgan Tyson from Anson by way of transfer. The 6’7” Lefty should keep them solid on the mound. Key losses: Matt Foard, Charlotte

Teams that should slip a bit:

Tuscola (23-3) Tuscola was hit fairly hard by graduation and is playing in a very tough conference. They may finish behind TC Roberson this season. In fact, Tuscola may have difficulty in reaching the playoffs. I look for them to slip down a bit. Key losses: Blake Murphy, WCU, Eryk McConnell, WCU, Steven Reinhold, USC, Dennis Downey

Ragsdale (23-4) Ragsdale suffered a few key losses with the graduation of Hicks and Whited. They still have good talent but will be pushed hard to repeat last year’s performance. Key Losses: Kunta Hicks, Louisburg, John Whited, UNC-A

CB Aycock (21-4) Aycock needs to find pitchers and very quickly. Sasser and Wooten were the heart of the team and will be difficult to replace. Key losses: Dustin Sasser, ECU, Rob Wooten, UNC

Glenn (17-6) Glenn is going to struggle a bit. They have some talent, but they lost way too much. Key losses: Cory Lane, Charlotte, Ryan Marion, Chris Lane, Charlotte

Teams that should break into the Top 10:
    TC Roberson (d’oh), AL Brown, Eastern Randolph, Northeast Guilford, Southern Alamance

2. NCBBallFan

I forgot about Hickory when I was doing 3A. That team is going to be stout this season.

3. jda

jda Member

Orange goes from 4A to 3A this year and should be very good.

4. NCBBallFan

Hillsborough Orange was tough last season. Do you know why they went down to 3A? Do you know how they are going to replace Austin and the Braxton's?

5. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

TC Roberson returns everybody and has a new pitcher that moved into the district. A lefty that I was told was throwing high 80's to go along with Thrailkill. Look for Franklin to make some noise. They are all a year older and have a solid coach.

6. jda

jda Member

Orange moved to 3A because a new high school, Cedar Ridge, opened in the county in 2002. They were able to petition for the change ahead of the general realignment that is coming in a couple years. They will play in the Five County Conference.

Their key guys will be Josh Horton (UNC) and Daniel Hargraves (UNCW).

-jda

7. NCBBallFan

I saw Josh Thrailkill ('05) pitch. The lanky righty is the real deal and has to be considered one of the top '05's in the state. TC also has the power to go along with him. He's very impressive.

I saw the young catcher from Franklin this summer. He looked solid too. Tuscola may struggle in that conference with all of the losses they had in personnel.

8. NCBBallFan

About Orange

That should be enough to make them a power in the state this season. Orange, along with Ashbrook, West Rowan and TC Roberson have to be considered the favorites in 3A this season.

9. NCBBallFan

come on guys .... you're acting like I know what I'm talking about and accepting this junk as gospel......

Lets hear some reactions, rebuttal.

10. Gbball86

Gbball86 Junior Member

Although Glenn will be quite young with only 3 seniors this year, I still think they will be a contender. Dont count them out!!