1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

4A Scouting Report: 2004 Season

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NCBBallFan, Nov 25, 2003.

1. MVaughn

MVaughn Full Access Member

NCBallFan/Braves; Walt Himes was one injured Hopewell player that is reportedly going to need TJ’s surgery. He is a senior and a good player and even better person and had been working very hard in the off season. I wish him a speedy recovery. I believe the other player (with an ACL injury) was named Osborne, or similar, and is a junior or sophomore and was hurt playing football and was expected to move up from the JV. I could be wrong on that as I don’t know that player personally and my son is having exams, and therefore studying occasionally so I haven't had a good opportunity to talk in detail with him this week. I also heard from my son that there was a JV player with a fracture, don’t have any idea about his name, but that he should be OK by the time the season starts.

2. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

Ben Beard, batting 3rd. Slasher with good power and good speed. He's a senior and will play probably either SS or 3B. Can pitch some too. He rakes the ball to the gaps very well.

Dan Woodall, batting 4th. Good power and solid approach at the plate. Another senior who caught for Hopewell last year. Very good step&throw receiver with soft hands. Hits for average and can clear the yard on occasion.

The injury to Walt Himes is critical to this team. He didn't have as high a batting average as Beard/Woodall, but he has good power (doubles kind), soft hands in the IF (1B/3B player) and was projected as one of their main guys on the mound.

Derek Osborne is a sophomore who is expected to contribute. He swings a good stick, is an excellent backup catcher (and may assume that role full time after Woodall graduates), has decent speed and can pitch also. Decent velocity off the mound and a nice change. Beginnings of a good HS curveball the last time I saw him. Bright future.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Thanks for the feedback, guys. That's terrible about Walt Himes. I have seen him play before and he is indeed a talented player and glad to know he is a good kid, too. I hope he rehabs quickly and can put himself in position to attract colleges. Good Luck Walt!!!

4. rjr4dad

rjr4dad Full Access Member

Any truth to the rumor that Andrew Flynt of East Forsyth has decided not to play baseball this year? If true, it's a shame.

5. EF-fazball9

EF-fazball9 Junior Member

Only a rumor, Andrew will be in a Eagle uniform this year.

6. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Raleigh Area Note

One Raleigh area team that shouldnt be overlooked this season is Wakefield. Granted, they lost several key players, but they return Alex Burt (OF) and they have added I believe Josh Dowdy who transferred I hear from Wake Forest-Rolesville. Josh has a strong arm and can play anywhere. Their JV team was loaded with several players that probably would have been varsity starters on many varsity teams, so I hear. That will make them tough.

Apex, Green Hope, Lee County, and of course Fuquay will have excellent seasons this year. They all have quality players returning.

7. clemfan

clemfan Junior Member

In the Cap 6 Conference (Raleigh), I believe it will come down to a 2 way race between Wakefield and Millbrook. Wake-Forest Rolesville's loss of Dowdy hurt's, but they still have a quallity lefty in Andrew Taylor. Wakefield will throw seniors Jesse Lewter (Elon), Kalani McKay and now likely junior Dowdy. Capable Wakefield support in the field will come from Alex Burt (Charlotte), and Brandon Ausley, both seniors. Millbrook will counter on the mound with right handed sophomores Sam Brown and BJ Dail, both Cap 6 All Conference as freshmen. Senior Lee Keith will also pitch and play third. He carries a big stick as well. Support in the field will come from seniors Daniel Smith (Campbell), Griff Jenkins (Harvard), and Nat Goode, as well as junior Jacob Allen. Other good area teams will be Lee County and Green Hope.
    All in all, it should be a great spring!

8. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

First of all, I want to thank you guys for giving us updates of the Raleigh area.
    I always wanted to know about the schools up there and who the players are. I sure hope you keep us posted on the scores this season, but just as important, can you give us a capsule of each game that you post?

Sometimes, I am amazed at how much further along we are for the High School season, but of course this time last year TBR Preps was just a "seed in the mind".

Thanks again for your contributions!!!!

9. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

The recent additions at South Meck (Cody Drake, LHP, Junior) and Jonathan Ratledge (OF, Junior) change the balance of power, IMHO, in the SW4A and shift the advantage away from Providence to South Meck.

South Meck now has a dominating RHP in TJ Worrell and a strong LHP in Drake. Drake will complement the efforts of Kevin Spain on the bump and give SM a strong (abeit slightly young) rotation. JRat will provide the "big bat" in the middle of the order. These two, along with college-bound Kyle Shelton (UNC) and Elliot Arrington (UNC-A) and promising new-comer Wes Borden.

Providence answers with a 4-pack of their own in Kevin Dietrich, AJ Mason, Alex Martin and Joe Cutler. Though Providence may be slightly deeper and have more senior leadership, South Meck has the edge in talent. You have to choose South Meck as probably the #2 team in the state (4A) pre-season (behind JH Rose). And you can't pick Providence any lower than #4, pre-season. It's going to be a fun year in the SW4A.

(obtw: Tryouts are only 2 weeks away. First official practice date: Week of 3/15.)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2004
  10. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Good Luck to all HS teams this Spring. Especially you senior's... you'll miss it even though you may not think so right now. It flies by, trust me.