1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

4A State Championship- South Caldwell vs. Ashley

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by believer, May 27, 2007.

1. Carolina Man

Carolina Man Caldwell County Post 29

I'll put my money on Bobby D and East Rutherford....Bobby D is probably the best 2A coach in the state..He will find a way to win.

Carolina Man :beatdeadhorse5:

2. Carolina Man

Carolina Man Caldwell County Post 29

Sure would like to see a roster and stats on Ashley.

Carolina Man

3. TMJ

TMJ Full Access Member

I'm guessing because Butler beat Ashley 5-0 in the Championship in Wilmington over the spring break that some will think SC should win handily, but Ashley will play SC tough...Butler shut them down and hit the ball hard that night as did SC when they beat Butler, but a best 2 of 3 will determine the stronger team!!
    We'll see!

4. NC Baseball Fan

NC Baseball Fan Full Access Member

Ashley....

Went to their school web page but everything has been removed or never posted in the first place, not even a roster. did find alot of news paper articles from their previous games so that will probably be about all the info we will see. Good Luck Spartans!!!

5. scfan

scfan Full Access Member

4 more days till game day. I'm counting them down. I can't wait for it to start but hate to see it end. We will still have a couple months of legion ball but after that about 6 months of no baseball.

6. 9nine9

9nine9 Full Access Member

Hey South Caldwell fans ----- make sure you guys pull hard for East Surry this weekend since you guys are playing at the same park. Coach Barry Hall is a great guy and he deserves a State title. He's been in the business 30+ years and does it the right way. Our Lexington legion teams and his Surry legion teams have had some great games over the years and I love the way Coach Hall demands that his teams show the utmost respect for the game. Go East Surry, Go South Caldwell!!!

We'll be thinking about you guys on Saturday night as we sit at Holt-Moffitt in Lexington watching the boys from Post 8 take on Rowan. Enjoy!!!

7. TheOriole

TheOriole Full Access Member

Coached there...

for a week the aesthetics and amenites at the stadium our awesome first class. Now the playing surface another question? It was long ago and we were in the midst of a drought BUT I d think it will be in awesome shape as well! Good luck tothe participants! :)
    PS As said before earlier plan on hoteling it a few miles WEST of the park I think Kinghtendale towards Raleigh but the trip is direct and not bad!

8. 75gitane

75gitane Full Access Member

Some news stories on Ashley baseball team are available at the Wilmington Star News site ...

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com

Look at the Sports tab ... and the Area/Prep selection.

Not a lot of stats here though ...

9. nospam

nospam Junior Member

Info on Ashley

Taken from Wilmington paper... Butler won 5-0 using their third pitcher. Note quote about Ashley being a "fastball" hitting team.

Butler takes title in win over Ashley
    By Tim Hower,
    Star-News Correspondent

Ashley was hungry to win the Cape Fear Yacht Sales Spring Break Baseball Tournament after falling in the finals last year. Charlotte Butler wanted to prove it was deserving of the No. 2 ranking in the state.

In the end, the Bulldogs used a strong pitching performance from Brandon Oatis and a pair of home runs to capture the title with a 5-0 victory over the host Screaming Eagles (12-3).

Oatis, who missed all of last year after undergoing Tommy John surgery, pitched a complete game, striking out 10 and allowing just three hits for Butler. He recorded six strikeouts over the final three innings.

"I thought (Oatis) kept them off balance all night long," Butler coach Kim Cousar said. "We knew they were a fastball-hitting team and he kept them off balance with his changeup, which was a great pitch for him tonight.

"He worked them inside with the fastball some and caught them looking, and I think he had them totally confused at the plate."

The Bulldogs (14-1) got on the board in the third inning when Tony Hearrell hit a two-out double to left field. Hearrell came in to score when Drew Gehringer's fly ball to right was dropped by Tony Santilli.

"They are a good ball club," Ashley coach Brian Stewart said. "We just ran into a buzz saw; we ran into a good pitcher and he was on."

Matt Crump, who was named the most outstanding player, hit a solo homer in the fourth inning that gave the Bulldogs a 3-0 lead.

Ashley 000 000 0 - 0-3-2

Butler 001 121 x - 5-6-0

WP: Brandon Oatis. LP: Erik Tello. 2B: Justin Bradley (A); Tony Hearell (B). HR: Matt Crump, Andrew Smith (B).

10. TBA

TBA Full Access Member

Good Enough...