1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

4A State Playoff Bracket

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by mincmi, May 4, 2007.

1. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

Fewer Teams and a 2 Out of 3 Series

Why 64 teams and "One and Done?"

Why not 16 solid teams playing 8 separate - 2 Out of 3 Series Matchups. This way the eventual State Champ would have to win 4 "Best of 3" Series in a row. Now they have to win 7 games but aren't afforded a loss until the Championship..............right? Or why not do like the NCAA Super Regionals and have 4-Team Double Elimination Matchups to get down to the Final 2 Teams?

Please don't use the $$$ excuse. If they want to save money don't allow 64 teams to play in the first place. That's a lot of bus rides with little or no chance of winning for several of the teams.

I'm just not in favor of having so many mediocre teams (some with losing records) playing in the State Championship. Tell them they didn't make it, use it as one of life's many lessons and move on.

2. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Since the football playoffs were watered down years ago... other coaches have wanted the same treatment. Well the NCHSAA finally decided to do that, while I will not turn down a playoff berth, I do believe the playoffs are watered down. this new system makes Conference Tournaments practically meaningless. I was in favor of Conference Tournaments until this latest expansion.

3. BulldogFan3

BulldogFan3 Full Access Member

Mainly because of time i mean there wouldnt be enough tiem and rest for pitchers and stuff if they played 3 game series and honestly lets face it west meck probably isnt even close to the top 16 teams in the state and they won their conference so what would they get at the end of the season nothing i think it gives plenty of teams a good chance to start over and i like to see the upsets

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I'm going to go out on a limb and take Watauga

5. SoutherNo1

SoutherNo1 Full Access Member

I think conference placing comes in to play only "within" your conference. For example, a 6th seed in conference "A", with a better overall record than their 5th seed , cannot gain entry as a wild card over that 5th seed.

6. BulldogFan3

BulldogFan3 Full Access Member

i agree because some teams play easier teams than others and you should be rewarded for doing well in your conference but the wild cards work too because that doesnt make non-conference games meaningless

7. dpa3401

dpa3401 Full Access Member

Thanks for the jinx!!!

8. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

one and done is best

these are STUDENT-ATHLETES you know. but I too think NC HS sports has been watered down at playoff time.

& I agree that conference tourn's are not needed; talk about a waste of $$.

9. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

jinxs? hahahahaha.....ok

10. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

I'm a Hillbilly from Kentuck. Up there every team is in the baseball & basketball tournaments. Season play admittedly does lose a bit of importance, but you play for seeding. And in a single elimination tournament, pitching matchups are everything.

The positive: every team has a reason to keep working right up to the last pitch. A young team can set as their goal making the regionals (2nd level of tournament). I personally favor NC's setup in baseball (with the conference tournament preceding the State), but there are some positives to letting more teams in.