1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

A disturbing trend

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Jul 31, 2007.

1. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

Coach 27, bad choice of words on my part. I was in a hurry when I typed my response. I can see why the "hiding' would bother you. Sorry.

Now back to my question. At football we sit in our cars or beside them and watch whatever practice is left until they finish. the kids never look at us so I don't think we bother them. Seldom does anyone approach the football coaches after practice. At baseball we watch whatever practice is left until they finish. We sit beyond RF and 60 feet foul under a shed. Most kids can't even see us. Our coach doesn't mind as long as we stay way out past the outfield. If anyone ventures forward he lets it be known to move away, WHICH NOBODY HAS A PROBLEM WITH AND EVEREYONE UNDERSTANDS.

I see Yankee's point of view, as well as yours. I just don't know why football coaches don't share this opinion.

One more thing. All my life I looked forward to being a Dad. I try to be at all the boys games and practices when I can. I make all school academic events and teacher conferences. As my oldest has entered HS I've backed off the practices, only showing up a little before it is scheduled to end (they never end on time). My son's love me being there, love the rides home, love giving other kids a ride home, laughing on the way home. It's usually some good private time before homework starts. The but chewings are over. If tey goof up they know what they did. They don't need me telling them. We try to focus on the positive. My oldest leaves the house in 3 years. I have no family alive. My kids are my best friends, along with my wife. I'm not going to look back and regret not spending more time with them. These days are passing too fast.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  2. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

One Putt

I was not offended at all. I was only trying to get others to express their opinions on this topic.

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

As a parent, I guess I was fortunate. Coach Hal Bagwell at SM/Ardrey Kell has always had open practices. His practices are run like a clinic. Each day they have goals and the drills he sets them through have time limits. They run on and off from each area the drill is being co-ordinated. The players don't have time to watch who is there. They are too busy.

Of the 7 years of watching Bagwell's practices, I have never, ever seen a parent interfere. But then again, if you want to see how a great practice should be run, come out and watch...it's amazing! When it comes to organization, preparation and execution of practices, I have never seen any better...including colleges. The guy is a master!

But that's his policy. I can understand why other coaches may feel different.

4. heels0710

heels0710 Full Access Member

Diificult question

There are positive and negatives in both open and closed practices. It has been my practice during my long years coaching high school and legion that there should be no reason to close a practice. During tryouts especially so parents may see all players that their child are competing against for a spot on the team. Make sure that a rubric is used to show parents at the end of the tryouts why they did or did not make the team. As any other parent, they will compare their player to another and that is something that you as coach have no control over. Be prepared as a coach, be professional in the evaluations of players, and embrace your parents to help improve the program through fund raising and field improvements. Make them feel part of the program to an extent.

5. TheOriole

TheOriole Full Access Member

Braves

My practices have ALWAys been open and run much like, if not better and more organized, than Hal's YET i don t really care if they are their or not I don t see them and as far as the admin how bout standing uo0 from behind your desk...tell the parent...Coach so and so is my coach it is his responsibility I trust him and value him he is the rofessional AND I SIMPLY DO NOT DISCUSS these issues with parents...You need to speak with the AD and inturn the AD should repeat the same as the HEad Man...IT IS THAR FREAKIN SIMPLE, PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beatdeadhorse5: :beatdeadhorse5: :beatdeadhorse5: