1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Acceptable scouting techniques

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by hispeed, Apr 27, 2005.

1. hispeed

hispeed Full Access Member

how does most coaches scout teams that they will play? what is enough or too much of the way the coach represents himself or herself at the game to be scouted?
    example: i know of a coach that showed up one hour before the game with assistant and set up behind the fence at home plate with radar in tow. i would wonder if coaches should be less noticeable to not impact the game being played.

2. CCHSvikefan81

CCHSvikefan81 Full Access Member

you pose a good question

3. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

scouting???

The four college coaches that I know would never think about taking a radar gun to scout another team, too conspicious. Instead, they use a stop watch and timing chart which is really effective and inconspicious. A good friend of mine scouts teams from the outfield and doesnt miss a thing. Maybe these two should have worn neon shirts and hats to bring more attention to themselves. lol. scouting should be on the q.t., then ya see it all. :twocents:

4. hispeed

that's funny you mentioned the neon shirts. these two were emblazoned with their green team hat and shirt with the gun pointed right at the pitcher.
    most hs coaches i see sit behind the fans and try to inconspicuous.

5. Bmac1

Bmac1 Full Access Member

John Wooden said "Why do we need to scout our opponents? If we play hard and take care of our own game, then it shouldn't matter what the other team does"

I see his point, but it sure is good when you aren't surprised by the other teams plays or pitches.

6. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

inconspicuous, dam, i knew i spelled that wrong. . . you wonder if they were trying to scout or impress people??? or maybe they didnt want anyone to doubt they were real scouts. . . lol :umno:

7. hispeed

from my understanding it was a statement because he was the former coach for that school. :imagestor
    it really screwed with the team because they seemed to be all thumbs during the game. it makes you wonder what else that coach or his assistant would do during their own game?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  8. HSFAN

HSFAN Full Access Member

scouting

A good coach can see one inning and tell if they can play with the other team. Radar Gun never used one ,it can't measure movement. Just play your game and don't get caught up on making adjustments,it only changes your game.

9. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

exactly HSFAN!

10. hispeed

is it unheard of to have a designated place for scouts or rude to tell them not to be such a distraction to the game at hand. with playoffs around the corner i would imagine there will be alot of scouting of teams to be played.