1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Advice for parents of "college prospects"

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Low & Slow, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Low & Slow

Low & Slow Full Access Member

I know there are a lot of folks on this site who have been around the barn a few times and have experience, knowledge, and perspective about the right ways to support your son when it comes to putting them in the best position to be recruited to play college baseball. As the season is nearing the halfway point, I thought I would pose a question that may generate a little head-scratching and will surely be of value to those who are new to the process. Here is the question:

What are two things a parent can do that will help their son secure an opportunity to play baseball in college and what are two things a parent should not do in that regard?

Examples: I 've heard folks advocate attending camps at the school(s) the player is interested in...I've heard folks support the distribution of custom-made recruiting videos or the use of a college baseball placement service, etc. I'm guessing there are some strong opinions about the "don't do's" as well. What are some of the things well-meaning parents do that really turn off college coaches and assistant coaches?

I was thinking of specific actions, not softer things like telling them to "have fun", etc.....it would be interesting to many on this site to learn from other's experience.

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

This is a timely thread that should produce lively discussions. I'll bring back some other recruiting threads that are pertinent as well

3. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

Don't say "No" until you have a "Yes" in your pocket!

4. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

When it gets down to it, dad back off. Let the discussion be between the kid and coach. They are the ones that are gonna be dealing with each other the next 4 years. Stick your nose in too far and guess what, your son will not be playing there. Trust that you have trained your son the last 18 years to make good decisions.

5. baseballfanforlife

baseballfanforlife Junior Member

Emphasize the grades

It needs to be said....academics are important in the process.

6. itslife

itslife Full Access Member

This is a statement that you hear all the time and I agree with it to a point. Where do you draw that line? Should a parent never have a conversation other than "weather talk" with the coach? Everyone knows that dad that is just pushing and annoying. But can you go too far off the other side?

7. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

No...at some point the coach will want to sit down and speak with the parents. It also depends on the coach. All coaches are different. Some are reserved and some are outgoing. If they get a feeling that you are not one of the pushy one's they are more prone to have discussions with you. But at some point they all want to get an idea of who the parents are. Usually, after they have a strong desire to recruit your kid.

It is important to let your son do most of the talking at first, including all phone calls. As a parent, you will play a major role...just not Top Billing

8. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

Have a plan... if your kid is in his senior year, you are waaay behind the curve. It starts BEFORE he steps foot into high school. It's been listed here before and sites like HSbaseballweb.com have detailed lists of what a kid should be doing each year to prepare himself to be recruited.

Be honest about your son's talent. Better yet, let someone else evaluate him. This will help you target the right level schools where he has the best chance to get offers.

Get out and play where the college guys will see you. Showcase teams/events, school camps and the State Games are some of the best ways to get exposure.

Talk to people you have met over the years through baseball. It's not hard to find someone that knows about the college programs your son is getting interest from. Get both parents and players perspectives.

After an offer is made, don't be afraid to ask for a little more! If they'll bump it up, say 500 bucks a year, that will pay rent for a month. Don't make it a deal breaker though.

9. NCbsbller

NCbsbller Junior Member

Grades?

I have heard and seen this many times but unfortunately have not seen it practiced much. If a kid can play and get by the clearinghouse then they will not be turned away. IF the kid can play. It is the kids on the bubble that their grades put them in a better position.