1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Aflac All American Baseball Game

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Aug 2, 2006.

1. wncfan80

wncfan80 Junior Member

Media Problems in the West

The problem with the players in the Western part of the state progressing is that there is little media attention. All the media attention in this state usually comes from Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Raleigh areas. The big colleges are located in these area as well, so, naturally, the high school players who play around these schools are more accessible to college scouts, etc. So...if a player is to achieve any accolades or attention, he must leave this area - be it in the summer, etc., to get the attention he deserves - which can cost quite a bit of money and can create situations where the player is likely to be advised to play a showcase team, etc., rather than legion ball. Cameron Maybin, Justin Jackson, Sam Runion, and Josh Thrailkill are just a few that smartly went to where the media was that would advertise and help promote their talent.

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

So...you are saying that he reminds you of me?...Thanks u-r-out, you da best!!!!

3. Braves

Although I agree with you wncfan; Clemson sure enjoys the fact that the area is not inundated with scouts.

I'll say something else, Cameron Maybin continues to be one the biggest reason that the players in the mountains have received some of the attention they deserve. The fact that Midland Redskins show any interest in a NC player says a lot about that player's talent.

4. wncfan80

wncfan80 Junior Member

Agreed, Braves,

My point is simply that if talented kids in WNC do not have an additional way to garner publicity from another media outlook, their possibility of being scouted is greatly diminished, and I think the good coaches are accurately telling the kids that. I think the attention to Maybin is changing the limited exposure to an extent, but the Midland connection right now seems to be limited to Southern Buncombe county schools, Roberson and Reynolds. There's no doubt, however, that Jackson is following Maybin's exact same path with the exact same connections. Jackson has been nominated for the same awards, etc. - almost a carbon copy of Maybin's trek two years ago.

5. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Looking forward to watching this game. This might not be every kids dream but will be something they will never forget and to be selected is an amazing honor. Good luck to each kids, especially the ones hailing from NC. :bananalam

6. Braves

I agree with your points. Most people wouldn't believe me if I told them the Charlotte boys get absolutely no attention in the media...we have to share the spotlight with softball, track, lacrosse and any other spring sport (I think badminton, too) and then they only will print something on Tuesday and Saturday.

I'm tellin' ya, the biggest reason I started this forum is to get the name of players that deserve attention out there for all to read....and then to get the college coaches to come on and read those names. So far we have been very fortunate to have accomplished both.

7. Hatfield made rain

Hatfield made rain Full Access Member

It really started with Chris Narveson

8. u-r-out

u-r-out Full Access Member

Braves, now you know that there is no way that anyone could compare to you. Heck I might better hush before people think that I have a man crush on you.

9. SoutherNo1

SoutherNo1 Full Access Member

Braves, I can tell you that your efforts are paying off. For the two years that I have been reading TBR, I have learned so much more about kids playing HS Baseball, especially the kids in the western part of the state(including Charlotte). That's a tribute to the good people from the area who post about the locals. WNCFAN80, your lament about no coverage for kids in your area rings true everywhere in the state IMO. I live in the east, and can assure you that I know of nowhere that gets any pub for high school athletics much. Personally , I would love for all the NC kids who want to play showcase to stay in state. I don't think there is a showcase organization in the state that would turn down any one of the guys you mentioned. I know Midland is an old established group, but we have some pretty good ones here as well. I just wish TBR could gain some additional level headed posters from the EAST!!!

10. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

Pub!

I have kept up with HS baseball across this state for years. I do know more names now because of sites like this and Impacts site as well. I have enjoyed watching showcase ball the last three or four years because it has given me a chance to see kids from all across the state. I will tell you western boys this, you are not alone. I challenge you to pick of a paper from the triangle area and see how much pub HS baseball gets in this area. Very very little. Box scores and thats about it. You have to remember we are in the heart of Duke UNC and NC State and the sports pages are devoted almost entirely to basketball year round. It wasnt long ago that the football coaches in this area were complaining about the sports pages ignoring football during the football season and reporting on basketball recruiting. I for one do not feel that kids from the east and triangle recieve anymore pub state wide than the boys from the west. You might not know it but we in the middle of the state and eastern part of the state are well aware of the outstanding players that the western part of the state has. All you have to do is look at all the guys from the west that have signed already from the 06 and 07 class. The fact is there are alot of very good players from across the entire state and people who follow HS baseball know it.