1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Alexander Sluggers

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by homerun, May 5, 2004.

1. acfan

acfan Full Access Member

4bagger, don't think any player or parent of AC's hr hitters have posted on this. Just a couple of AC fans who are proud of the individual successes by our seniors and other team members. I myself hate to lose as much as the next but I keep in context that this is just a game and if there is a loss those individuals will probably forget that loss later but will forever remember what they themselves have accomplished. Plus you don't have to be fast to strike someone out or slow to be hit on you just can't let one slip down the middle.
    Funny how the pitchers get the credit for the wins or losses but the hitters here are getting no respect.

2. 4bagger

4bagger Member

Hey ACfan I'm a fan of the program myself. I'm just being realistic in my opinion based on what I have seen on the field this year. Also as you probably know, the most successful pitchers in college are the ones who can make the ball move and make their pitches look like strikes to the batter and keep her guessing. Everyone at that level has a good fastball and probably doesn't use it that much because the hitters at that level can and will hit the heat.

As for pitchers getting most of the credit, it takes 8 others on the field and how ever many more you have in the dugout (to their credit, I think N. Davidson has about 20 sub's in the dugout!) to contribute to a teams success or failure. But it has always been the princess in the circle getting most of the discussion and ink, both positive and negative. It's just the way the game is, I guess.

3. acfan

acfan Full Access Member

You're right and let's hope AC keeps working hard!

4. playme

playme Full Access Member

:applause: :applause: CFBall

good pitching usually stops good hitting...or good hitting usually hits good pitching???

Keep up the good work girls... :applause: :applause:

5. xpert_88

xpert_88 Member

Don't you just love this game.
    The best move N.C. ever made in girls sports is going to fastpitch.

6. acfan

acfan Full Access Member

I enjoy it alot especially in travel season when you get to meet some of the girls and their families.

7. 4bagger

4bagger Member

Fastpitch- Baseball for Girls? No Way!

Although fastpitch has come along way in NC, those of us who care about the game need to continue to make our voices heard. If it wasn't for people like Ray Chandler, we may still not have fastpitch softball in NC. The NCHSAA did not want to have fastpitch and fought hard to keep it out. The NCHSAA and many high school athletic directors in my opinion, look at fastpitch softball as "baseball for girls". Many of the rules and fundamentals of fastpitch are the same as baseball, but the game is played much differently.

Go around the state and compare the baseball facilities to softball. Many softball fields don't have bathrooms or concessions, many do not have lights, and some softball teams have to play on the baseball field! Teams like Alexander Central, North Davidson, Northwest Guilford, Central Cabarrus, (and I'm sure there are a few others) are blessed in the fact they have excellent facilities to go along with their excellent programs. I'm sure they way these programs are able to have such nice facilities is mainly due parent involvement along with supportive school administration. There are some schools who actually discourage parent involvement due to the fact they feel if parents get involved, it will cause issues for coaches about playing time. This just a lame excuse for weak coaches and administrators who are afraid that a parent may actually have some knowledge about the game. The coaches should encourage parent inolvement in all off field activities, but should always make it clear that decisions that occur on the field belong to the coaches, period.
    I guess the bottomline to my rant here is that those who care about fastpitch softball need to continue to press to make sure the game is treated equally as any other sport as well as work to improve the game. It's fine to have an opinion, but getting involved and making sure the girls are treated equally is how things get done.

8. fence

fence Full Access Member

4bagger

well said

9. CometFan

CometFan Moderator

I agree gentlemen. fence, I enjoyed talking with you at the West Henderson/Pisgah game yesterday.

10. playme

playme Full Access Member

to the best if my knowledge the ACHS softball field was a community effort. many folks from the community donated money, booster club members, parents and coaches worked togewther to bring their ball park together..many hours were spent by many parents trying to raise the money needed for this program...many folks who did not have anyone playing softball gave in order for the girls to have a place to play after so many winning years... :applause: :applause:

keep up the hard work girls, it builds winning teams....Go Lady Cougars.. :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: