1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

All Conf. and POY selections

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by CardCoach2, May 4, 2014.

1. CardCoach2

CardCoach2 Full Access Member

We just had our conf. meeting to select All Conf. and POY.
    I'm gonna open a can of worms.

I'm not a big fan of these awards. I stated that at our conf. meeting.
    FYI, I'm not a big fan of the politics of HS sports in general.
    I, as a HS coach, nominate, pump the player up, I help get the kid an award.
    Deserving or not, at times, I hate to admit.
    I think the entire system needs revamping.

I think that the "opposing" conf. coaches should nominate players from the "opposing" conf. teams.
    How well a player did against their conf. peers...Would that not be a better gauge for the All Conf. player or POY?

If a kid is deserving of All Conf. or POY in our conference, wouldn't I or shouldn't I know it as an opposing coach? I know who the real, all conf. players are, and most definitely, the POY type player.
    There is still way too much "daddy ball" or "softball politics" in the HS ranks that have kept deserving players without the proper award.
    Thoughts?

2. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

I don't believe opposing coaches can know players better than the players' own coach. When the players' coach nominates them for an award then the opposing coaches would remember them, hopefully, and be able to vote in accordance.

Even then the opposing coach might be tempted to vote against a player due to possible intense rivalries. I've seen this happen.

The system that is in place no doubt could be better but it is what it is. I doubt that it is possible to have a fair system in HS ball.

We just do the best we can to make the HS memories as good as possible for everyone. Second only to the real life lessons that they learn the memories are really all that is valuable.

3. Fp parent

Fp parent Softball parent

I agree with to much daddy ball in high school.

4. jsherrill

jsherrill Full Access Member

LOL:laugh1:

5. stickwolf

stickwolf Full Access Member

Not to derail the thread but would love to hear the "daddyball" stories. Seems that's cried every year and IN MY EXPERIENCE its just jealously because a kid works her rump off year round and gets the accolades for it and just happens to be a coaches kid and some can't stand it. I've been out of coaching for 3 years but some of you better be damn glad that "dads" take the time to help out at your high school.

As for All Conference, when I was coaching your darn tootin I knew who the "all conference" players should be for the opposition. Its another part of coaching, knowing the opponent. I say yes, let the others pick. If they are doing their job, the other coaches will know who they are.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  6. CardCoach2

CardCoach2 Full Access Member

My take on "Daddyball"

Let me be clear on my position on what I consider "daddyball".
    I believe there are those who can and do coach their daughters, just like any other player on the team. They are the true coaches with a passion for the game and the kids! They understand the meaning behind the word "coach". I had my kid play HS ball for me as well. We both came to an understanding early on that once we hit the field it was a coach and player relationship. And I think if you ask her, she would tell you it was just that.
    We could do that.
    Some cannot. When you place your kid and your ambitions above the "team", then you are in it for the wrong reasons!
    I have dads that help me with all my teams. But they are handpicked and understand their role. If they can't fill the role, they don't coach. That simple.
    I'm not knocking dads that spend tireless hours helping their kid and everyone else's kid to get better at the game and become better people.
    "Daddyball" is a frame of mind. It's all about me and mine mentality.
    JMO

7. Bone15

Bone15 Member

AMEN:):) "When we truly understandwho Christ is, our Pride and Self Importance melt away"

"the world will not be destroyed by those that do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything"~albert einstein

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  8. PiedmontSB#6

PiedmontSB#6 Senior Member

our coaches

I agree w Cardscoach and bet he knows who his opposing players are.....
    I know for a fact that our coaches know who the opposing players are. We even try to know some non-conference players too. So many of our girls play TB with the other girls or our parents know the girls from TB. We ask the girls do you know her or have you played with/aganist her in TB. Soooooo. we know who is who. If a new girl shows up as a freshmen and did not play MS ball or move in to the conference. Folks, with a smartphone or WIFI and a Ipad we can find out where they come from (HS) and what TB team they played on if they play, maybe before they have their 1st at bat. Its not that hard w Maxpreps, Gamechanger, Twitter, Facebook and the TB teams having websites. If a head coach is not sorry/lazy and takes the time they can find out almost anything about a new or current opposing player.

If a HS coach were to vote aganist a HS player because of rivalry or some vendetta aganist the school or player. Shame on that coach. Especially if that girl really has shown all conf stats or POY stats. That player should have earned the respect of that coach for her showing. That coach should have no other choice than vote for the player. If the coach really is a COACH.

9. tarheelmm

tarheelmm Full Access Member

Hmmm...

Your assuming all girls play travel ball. As it sounds, you are also making the assumption that only the girls that play travel ball are the good ones. On top of that, you are assuming the HS coach cares about the other teams/players.

From the outside what I have seen is that HS and TB are very different and the rule to play TB and HS ball together is more enforced but the HS coaches that know of travel or their daughter plays it.

More of what I have seen from the outside but that is my opinion from what is happening from some 3A schools that I know about.

There is no way to keep good stats, trust all coaches to watch opposing players, or too really know what, etc

Is there a fair system, only if all of the coaches were hired on the same status. That doesnt happen in girl sports.

Nor does it happen anywhere.

You have to work with the system you have until enough people get upset with it to change it.

Just MHO

10. cougarsoftball12

cougarsoftball12 Full Access Member

Crazy

Our conference meeting was this past weekend, and was told that one of the coachs that came to the meeting did not bring his stats , however he argued for each girl that he wanted to make all conference. And yes 1 of them was his daughter. ( there is a reason he did not bring his stats)