1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

American Legion Area III

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by tj21, Jun 11, 2004.

1. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Now that the teams have been playing a couple weeks, lets hear some predictions for the top teams in both divisions (North & South).

Kannapolis is the defending Area III champions and they seem to be pretty deep in pitching, hitting and defense,,, so they will make a strong challenge to repeat as champions again. Also expect Rowan County to seriously challenge once all those West Rowan boys return to their lineup. Rowan has already played some very tough competition with a bunch of young boys, and they've done pretty well. The addition of Adams, Moore, Waller & Graham will make them instant contenders. And of course Mr.Poindexter will also have Mocksville in the top 3 of the Southern Division.

As for the Northern Division, I'm not as familiar with those teams so it would be nice to get feedback from posters in that area. From what I've heard, it appears that Asheboro, Kernersville and Burlington seem to be the top 3 teams. I expect Eastern Randolph to make a strong run to the finish also.

Any comments???

Last edited: Jun 11, 2004
  2. NSRCarolinasbaseball

NSRCarolinasbaseball WNC Area Scout

McDowell is definitely the class of the bunch out west after beating Hendersonville in a classic last week. There are some serious college prospects on that team. McDowell pasted Burke, which beat Cherryville. Cherryville doesn't appear to be as good this year without Mason. For that reason, Hendersonville is a good contender for second place. Hickory could be strong, although I'm not entirely sure if rising seniors Wil Boyd and Isaac Harrow are playing Legion ball; both are excellent prospects but I know Harrow spends a lot of time playing AAU ball in Charlotte with the Sox. Asheville is young, since J.D. Hinson apparently took a lot of his son's teammates from Reynolds HS. They may be a couple of years away from contending on varsity and Legion levels if that's the case. Look for Taylorsville to make a second-half run with Payne and others back from their graduation trip to the beach. Bryan Corbett told me he doesn't think Kinnaird is going to play, which is a shame because it takes a potential pitcher off the mound and a definite stick out of the batter's box. Still, I like Scott Hall (despite his misplay of Daniel Cook's line drive to left that led to Independence's win over Alexander Central in the West Region semis). He has excellent size and can motor. Zack Orrin has a very good arm in right field, although he's undersized. Taylorsville should be tough by playoff time. Burke has a very good shortstop in Alex Chapman of Freedom HS. Still, I look for it to come down to McDowell and Hendersonville for the top spot.

3. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Area 3 discussion....

NSRCarolinabaseball,,,, I agree that the teams and players that you mentioned are all very good,,,,,,,,, but they are NOT in Area 3.

Also, since you're speaking of western teams, I noticed that you didn't mention Caldwell County. Caldwell County has already beaten Rowan County twice and lost a close game to Kannapolis,,,, those Caldwell boys can definitely score some runs. And don't count out Cherryville just yet either,,,,, they're always tough in the playoffs.

Btw, there's a tournament in Kannapolis at Fieldcrest Cannon Stadium that begins today which pits Caldwell County vs. Rowan County at 4pm,,, and Hickory vs. Kannapolis immediately following. Winners play each other tomorrow.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2004
  4. cougardad

cougardad Full Access Member

I would have to agree at this point that Caldwell is the best in the west at this point. They can really hit. Teams to watch are Rutherford Co. when the East Rutherford players return, Asheville which is getting stronger with each outing and playing almost all seniors and college freshman at this point in the field, Taylorsville with the central players back and Hendersonville which has some great talent. It should be a great playoff season!

5. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Area 3 discussion....

If we can get back to discussing Area 3 teams,,,, I mentioned before that Kannapolis, Rowan Co. and Mocksville were probably my top 3 picks for the Southern Division. And personally I think Concord and South Rowan will be next.

However with that said, Concord and South both are very capable of beating the top teams on any given night and I notice that Concord beat Mocksville last night by a 9-7 score. Congrats to Post 51!!!

----------------------------------

Are there any Northern Division posters out there???

6. K-Town-Yankee

K-Town-Yankee Full Access Member

Look for Burlington to be extremely strong in the northern division.

Kannapolis beat Caldwell Co. for the second time this season 8-1 on saturday night to win the Gene Benfield Memorial Tounament.This was Kannapolis' 9th consecutive victory.Caldwell Co. dropped to 11-2 this season.Once again both losses coming to the Wojans.

Kannapolis is extremely deep in pitching.Expect them to make another deep run in the playoffs this season.

7. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Area 3 Standings as of 6/22/04...

Southern Division Record/ Overall Record:
    Kannapolis 7-2, 13-4
    Rowan Co. 4-2, 10-10
    Mooresville 5-3, 11-8
    South Rowan 4-3, 8-7
    Concord 4-3, 7-7
    Stanly Co. 3-4, 4-7
    Mocksville 2-3, 6-6
    Lexington 2-7, 3-10
    Wilkes Co. 1-5, 1-11

Northern Division Record/ Overall Record: (from what I have,,,,,, need info from posters in this area)
    Burlington 4-0, 12-0
    Greensboro 6-1, 10-1
    E. Randolph 4-2, 5-6
    Asheboro 3-3, 9-6
    Kernersville 2-4, 7-6
    High Point ?
    Winston-Salem ?
    King ?
    Surry Co. ?
    Yadkin Co. ?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2004
  8. tj21

tj21 Moderator

:bump:

9. tj21

tj21 Moderator

:bump:

10. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more

Greensboro is now 9-1 after saturday night's win over Yadkin. I think they played Kernersville last night but I haven't seen a score yet.