1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

American Legion Area III

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by tj21, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Village Idiot

Village Idiot cloud of dust

did the runner at second tag up?

2. rcbbfan

rcbbfan Full Access Member

Intimidator Coach, here is the rule directly from the MLB rule book along with some coments from a MLB umpire.

"So, the out was an "appeal" out. And yes, it's a timing call - if the runner from third crossed the plate before the ball was received at second base the run should be counted. It's not a force play, by rule, even though it seems like one."
    "When a fly ball is caught, the runner is supposed to be on the base. The minute the ball is caught and he's off the base, a potential appeal situation arises. Any throw behind him is an "appeal" to get the out called. If he doesn't tag up, and the defensive team never throws to the base, he's still safe at the next base, because he's not "out" unless his failure to be on the base is "appealed." It's not a "force" situation because he will be safe if he stays at his new base and no appeal is performed. There's no difference between a live ball appeal and an appeal performed after play has stopped. I know it seems the same as a force out, but it isn't. In a true force out the runner has to get to the next base before the ball gets there - and he has no other base to stay on. He literally is "forced" to get to a base. With a tag up he can be safe at the base he's on unless an appeal throw is made behind him to the base he left. He's not "forced" to go anywhere, but he is vulnerable to being called out on an "appeal" of his failure to be on the base when the ball was caught."

3. Intimidator Coach

Intimidator Coach Premium Member

Then that would satisfy my curiousity,,, thats all ive been wanting was the interpretation.. it makes it more clear now..

I guess we know now why TBR pays RC the big bucks...

4. rcbbfan

rcbbfan Full Access Member

I can't take credit for it. I actually got the information after posting on the message boards at HSBBWEB. I put the question to the umpires there in the "ask the umpire" forum. I just copied and pasted some of the responses. If you'd like to read the whole thing or are just interested in visiting the wedsite here is the link: http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/

5. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

You got that right, Coach...and they just gave him another raise...not enough though

6. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Final Area 3 Regular Season Standings....

Southern Division Record/ Overall Record

Kannapolis 12-4, 18-6
    Rowan County 11-5, 17-13
    Mocksville 11-5, 15-8
    Stanly County 8-8, 11-10
    South Rowan 8-8, 12-12
    Concord 8-8, 11-12
    Mooresville 8-8, 14-13
    Lexington 3-12, 4-15
    Wilkes County 1-15, 1-21

Northern Division Record/ Overall Record

Greensboro 14-2, 17-2
    Burlington 12-4, 20-4
    Eastern Randolph 10-6, 11-10
    Surry County ?
    Winston-Salem ?, 12-10
    High Point ?
    Asheboro 7-9, 13-12
    Kernersville 4-12, 10-14
    Yadkin County 1-15

***Playoffs begin Tuesday July 6 for top 8 teams in each division.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2004
  7. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Area 3 playoffs....

As far as the upcoming playoffs are concerned which begin July 6,,,, I've heard 3 different possible scenarios and quite frankly I'm a bit confused as to why this isn't decided already. I understand there's a scheduled meeting for coaches and athletic directors on July 4 in which a vote will take place, but this is crazy,,,, because a decision like the playoffs should be so simple and automatic that a plan is already in place.

To me, scenario #1 is a "no-brainer" (which I understand most coaches also support) in which the top 8 teams from each division (North & South) play each other "within" their respective division for the first several rounds. This would reduce travel expenses which is huge for teams struggling to survive. The best teams from each division would face each other obviously in later rounds, WHEN THEY SHOULD.

Scenario #2 is that the top 8 teams from both divisions will be all grouped together and seeded 1-16, which will obviously have some southern teams playing against northern teams in the first round. This is ok I guess, because they did it last year; however, because of increased gas prices this year, it would be helpful to the teams to reduce travel expenses if possible,,,,,, and this situation doesn't help in this area as much as scenario #1.

And scenario #3 (and I can't understand what idiot suggested this, but I understand its on the table),,, is that all regular season records be thrown out and the top 16 teams will "DRAW" to see who they play in the first round. In other words, the top teams from each division could conceivably draw each other in the first round. This is stupid. If you do this, then why even bother with the regular season? The regular season winners should be rewarded with "something", and getting homefield advantage and drawing a lower-seeded team should be the reward. This idea obviously came from a lower-seeded coach who's only trying to get out of traveling to Greensboro or Kannapolis for a 1st round matchup. Hopefully, there will be enough sensible coaches in the league who will ditch this suggestion when the vote takes place.

Anyway, I guess we will find out soon.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  8. Village Idiot

Village Idiot cloud of dust

Wilkes Co.?

Word at the ball park tonite was that Wilkes Co. had to forfiet a game this week due to a lack of players and has to pay a $200 fee or they're done for the season. Anybody got some reliable scoop on this situation?

9. K-Town-Yankee

K-Town-Yankee Full Access Member

Wilkes County did forfeit to Kannapolis today.Wilkes could not field enough players to make the trip.Wilkes was already mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs...so there season is over for all purposes.

Kannapolis lost to Mocksville 15-6 in the nitecap.Dan Poindexter beat the Wojans for the 2nd time in four days.Kannapolis is now tied with Mocksville in the loss column with 4 losses.Mocksville has Rowan Co. and Concord remaining and Kannapolis ends their regular season at Mooresville tomorrow night.

10. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Area 3 playoffs....

Ok, so the official word is in. The Area 3 playoffs will begin Tuesday July 6 and every round will be a 3 out of 5 game series. The top 8 Southern Division teams playing each other (seeded 1-8) in Rounds 1 & 2. The top 8 Northern Division teams will also be seeded and play each other the 1st two rounds as well. The winners from these 1st two rounds will then begin playing across divisions in Round 3. The last 2 teams remaining will both qualify for the state tournament which is being held in Shelby.

It appears that the top 3 teams from the Southern Division will be Kannapolis, Mocksville and Rowan Co.; however, we will not know the final seedings until after the final reg.season game with Rowan/Mocksville on July 5. The top 3 teams from the Northern Division appear to be Greensboro, Burlington and Eastern Randolph.

There are some tiebreakers among the middle teams, so I will post the playoff matchups as soon as I know them.