1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

An Honest View About Athletic Scholarships

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Prepster, Mar 10, 2008.

1. jd05

jd05 Full Access Member

my son's experience...

As a scholarship soccer player (not enough money to make a real difference) my son choose to try to walk on to the baseball team in college. He was fortunate to be kept and saw early significant time on the mound over the scholarship players. As the season has gone on playing time has been very much in line with the players effectiveness.
    College baseball and Soccer gets the equivalent scholarship amounts equal to 3 to 8 full scholarships. Spread over 28 to 40 players does not leave alot to give to any one player. Tell your son's and daughters there is alot more money for grades than for athletics. If you can combine them you can get a good deal and still play a sport you love.
    ......Hit the the books as much as you hit the ball.....

2. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

Well said JD.

As to who coaches will play.They do this for a living. They are paid to win, among other things like graduation, compliance, respected program and such. But they need to win. If my job counted on it I would play the best players, regardless of who is on scholarship. And I suspect they do the same.

3. itslife

itslife Full Access Member

This could be right on.