1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

And you thought they were friends

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by knight time, Mar 23, 2006.

1. knight time

knight time Junior Member

A lot has been made about the friendship, or apperance of friendship between Coach Lambros and Coach Sherrill. Then we get this story today, WOW!!

Glosson shines for Knights
    March 22, 2006, 09:02 AM
    By Jason Queen
    The Dispatch

WELCOME, N.C. - Danielle Glosson insists she's struggling. Try telling that to anyone who's tried to hit off her so far this season.

The junior right-hander from North Davidson has gone 6-0, winning all but one of the Knights' games so far, with at least 10 strikeouts in every start, to lead the perennial power to a 7-0 record. Being dominant is nothing new for Glosson, who was named all-state her freshman and sophomore years. She has fanned 69 batters so far to add to the 575 strikeouts she had her first two seasons, and she's added a new pitch to her arsenal.

Still, like every great player, she wants more.

"I haven't been as good this year as I was my first two years," she said. "And I don't really know why. I had a slight injury, and I guess maybe I slacked off a little bit. Hopefully if I practice some more I'll be able to do better."

If she does any better, she'll be unhittable - or whatever's better than unhittable. Last week Glosson gave up one hit in a 4-0 win over East Rowan, no-hit East Davidson in a 10-0 victory then took a no-hitter into the bottom of the seventh before allowing two hits against Mauldin (S.C.) in a 7-1 win. The run she gave up Saturday was only the second she has surrendered this season, after Randleman scratched across a lone score in the third game of the year.

North coach Mike Lambros remembers the moment that defines the greatness of his ace. In last year's Central Piedmont Conference Tournament championship game, West Forsyth had cut the Knights' lead to 2-1 and gotten a runner on second with nobody out in the sixth inning. He called on Glosson to come on in relief, and when she took the ball out of his hands, she assured him, "this game is over."

Her unbelievable repertoire of pitches and that bulldog mentality on the mound make her an impossible matchup for just about everyone.

"West Forsyth's always been a big rival game, and it just so happened I didn't get to start," she said. "I was real upset. So when I did go out there, I really felt like it was over."

She said she's only felt like that once this season, in the win over Randleman, but she knows she doesn't always have to have her best stuff to win.

"I have a really good team behind me. Defensively we're very solid, and our hitting is better than it has been the last two years.

"As a pitcher it's good to know your team's behind you. That way going out there doesn't stress you out as much."

Lambros knows what he's getting when he pencils her name in the lineup.

"Danielle works real hard," he said. "She and her dad go out and throw a lot.

"And she works with Chief (Billy Gerald, the North pitching coach). She's got a new pitch she's throwing that she's got down over the last two years. She's throwing about 64-65 miles per hour, which is the equivalent to a 94-95 mile-per-hour pitch in baseball.

"She comes in and works extra sometime, she spins the ball real well. And this new pitch has gotten hitters off level."

Glosson said she has tried to perfect the dropball, and hitters have been dropping like flies. Mixing the dropball with the fastball and changeup has made her even more dominant than she was. And at North Davidson, the goal in the spring is always the same as it has been for years: to win an ever-elusive state title.

With four position players already committed to play college softball (Danielle Reese, Tatum Hargett, Ashley Angell and Christine Burrow) and Glosson mowing hitters down like a new lawn mower in the early spring, North has a shot to accomplish its ultimate dream.

"I want to make it to Raleigh for the final four, and I want to beat Central Cabarrus when we get there," Glosson added. "I want to get Lambros a state title. We always say 'state champs' before practice, and we always want to strive for that goal."

2. hispeed

hispeed Full Access Member

that same sentiment is muttered by alot of girls across the state. coaches can be great friends but once you cross the white line, all bets off- see ya after the game!:ylsuper:

3. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

All sports are like that it's in our nature to want to win !!!!:trophy:

4. rangeroo22

rangeroo22 Full Access Member

What's this article got to do with the coaches????

Good article about Danielle Glosson,but what does this have to do with the relationship of the two coaches??? If you think there's ANY player or team that wouldn't like the chance to play Central Cabarrus in the title game ,that's a huge mistake in your thinking...:lalala:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  5. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

agree

rangeroo22 , I thought the same thing when I read the article.

6. softball nut

softball nut Full Access Member

Nothing wrong with good competition between 2 good friends.Everyone knows that CC has a target on their back.But it doesn't seem to bother them.

7. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

ND likes that target on their backs as well!

its great competition and fun for all involved at that level, coaches, players, parents, fans of those teams and fans of the game!!