1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

(Apr. 30) Observer Sweet 16 poll

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Cliff Mehrtens, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Cliff Mehrtens

Cliff Mehrtens Member

Sweet 16 Baseball Poll

Rk. Class Team Rec. Prev.
    1. Ind. Charlotte Christian 23-3 2
    2. 4A Providence 16-4 1
    3. 3A Lake Norman 16-1 4
    4. 2A West Stanly 17-1 6
    5. 4A Northwestern, S.C. 22-3 5
    6. 3A Marvin Ridge 17-2 3
    7. 3A Kings Mountain 15-2 8
    8. 4A South Caldwell 15-3 13
    9. 4A Ardrey Kell 16-6 7
    10. 2A East Lincoln 16-3 15
    11. 4A Watauga 15-6 9
    12. 3A East Rowan 15-4 10
    13. 4A Hopewell 16-5 NR
    14. Ind. Providence Day 18-4 11
    15. 2A West Lincoln 15-2 NR
    16. 4A Myers Park 16-6 12

Also receiving votes: 3A Mooresville (15-4); 2A Lenoir Hibriten (14-5); 4A Rock Hill (17-5); 3A Belmont South Point (15-4); 2A Mount Pleasant (15-3); Ind. Grace Academy (12-1).
    To correct a record, or nominate a team, call 704-358-5121 or email [email protected].

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Dang, Cliff---you must have read my comment about Charlotte Christian :jumprope:

Seriously, I appreciate you posting this in here. I hope people will start commenting, but I would hope they will temper their opinion based on why a school should be ranked higher moreso than why another team doesn't deserve it.

They should make their case for their school, but not at the expense of another

3. blackjackwally

blackjackwally Premium Member

Well...I know it's the Observer's sweet sixteen, but I never understood why they mix the classifications like that - even in fooooosball. By the way, my school isn't ranked (and shouldn't be). We're out of the area anyway.

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Yeah, you bring up a good point, but for two years East Rutherford was the best team in the West--and they are 2A. Sometimes the smaller schools hit the jackpot in a cycle of talent. But most years, the larger schools are stronger.

If Richmond County were in the Observer's area---and I always thought they were-- they definitely should be ranked. That team can hit!!!!! and have a lot of quality wins.

5. newcoach42

newcoach42 Full Access Member

Can someone explain to me how South Caldwell is above Watauga? Watauga did sweep them this year right? Won the conf right?

6. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Actually I think Cliff does one of the better polls around, especially given the fact that he must combine all the different classifications together and you have so many teams that will never play each other. In order to do his poll, one must no doubt do their homework and get as much information about these teams as possible on a weekly basis in order to keep up with who's hot and who's not. Of course everyone has an opinion, which makes any polls good for discussion.

p.s. to Newcoach, if Watauga beat SC twice, then who beat Watauga 6 times? You know the 6 L's is probably the answer to your question.

7. throwheat22

throwheat22 Full Access Member

Call me captain obvious , but comparing Charlotte Christian to a traditional high school is not exactly apples to apples...just sayin.

8. Low & Slow

Low & Slow Full Access Member

Just sayin' what?

Just sayin' what?

9. jd05

jd05 Full Access Member

5 th year players??

Does Charlotte Christian Have 5th year Seniors.
    it is hard to compare teams that don't have the 4 year rule in place.

Independent schools in some ways serve as Prep schools that allow an extra year to Students that need an extra year for Grades or whatever.

Schools that use this extra year for thier teams should not be included in any of these poles but should be encouraged to play anyone and everyone. The better the competition the better you get.

I know FCD and Calvary in WS have used 5th year players for years.

When they play in county sponsored Tourneys I dont believe they can use the older players. They do use them in head to head competition.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Full Access Member

Charlotte Christian

Charlotte Christian has no "5th year Seniors." The CISAA has had a 4 year rule in place for at least the last four years. I believe that is one reason the Charlotte private schools have been invited to the Jack Sink Tournament the past two years.