1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Area I Legion playoffs

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by spacedawg, Jul 11, 2004.

1. jda

jda Member

Wake Forest 13, Chapel Hill 1. Wake Forest wins 2-0.

2. hsbbfan

hsbbfan Member

North Raleigh beat Apex last night 1-0. Winning pitcher Jessie Lewter loosing pitcher Alan Deratt. North Raleigh plays Wake Forest at North Raleigh for the 1st game of the second round. We split in conference play. Funny that we have to continue to play the teams in our own conference to win the area

I know three teams in the second round
    North Raleigh
    Wake Forest
    Garner

Who is the fourth team?

3. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Garner advances to the Area 1 West finals against the winner of North Raleigh/Wake Forest.

Wake Forest beat North Raleigh 14-5 in Game 1 on Friday night. Not sure about tonight.

Tonight, Garner eliminated Fuquay 2 games to 0.

Garner - 6
    Fuquay 5

Garner had a 2-1 lead headin into the top of the 9th, then it got excited. Fuquay (visitors) went ahead 5-2. In the bottom half, Garner scored a run to make it 5-3. Then 2 base hits and 2 outs later, Mark Carver (UNCW) hit a 3-run HR to win the game and win the series. Awesome game.

Good luck to Garner, they got one heck of a Coach over there :applause: :xyzthumbs

4. ballplaya22

ballplaya22 Junior Member

Wake Forest defeated North Raleigh last nite 7-1 winning the series 2-0. Winning pitchers were Drew Taylor in game 1....(6 2/3, 4-5Hits, 12k's, 1BB, 2ER.) He left b/c of blister in the 7th. Josh Dowdy went the distance in game 2 last nite....(9 in, 6-7h, 1er, 10K's, 1bb.) Wake Forest will go as far as their pitching takes them. They have some hitters but pitching is their strength. Should pay off big time for them in a 5 game series against Garner.

5. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Garner - Wake Forest for Area 1 West will be a great series. Garner may not always have the best team in the area, but you can almost guarantee they will make noise come playoff time.

Garner has a decent hitting lineup, pretty good defense with pretty good pitching. Jeff Hatcher (rising FR at UNCW) and Leif Baker (redshirt-FR at Lenoir CC) are their top two pitchers. Mark Carver (Catcher, UNCW) has been hitting very well over the last few games for Post 232, and no one has been running on him either.

I am not sure about Wake Forest's pitching outside of Dowdy and Taylor. Those 2 are very good, but I don't remember a real strong bullpen, or #3 guy. I think they will be low scoring games in this series, but you never know. Neither team impressed me offensively, but hitting is contagious.

Good Luck to both teams.... but I am going to have to pull for the family in this one... Go get 'em Post 232.

6. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Wayne County beat Pitt... who does Wayne play for the Area 1 East?

7. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Area 1 East - Wayne vs. Wilson (no report)

Area 1 West - Garner beat Wake Forest, 14-4 (in Wake Forest).

Garner leads 1-0 in the Area 1 West series.

8. ballplaya22

ballplaya22 Junior Member

Garner 14 Wake Forest 4. Game was 3-3 in the 7th. Wake Forest fell apart in the 7th/8th innings to turn it into a blow out. Garner went with Hatcher who pitched very well. Wake Forest went with their # 5 starter (Name??). I do know that Drew taylor goes tonite for wake Forest and Josh Dowdy Thursday nite. Zach Quate is the Number 3 starter....I believe he is in relief both nites. I think it will be a long series. Tonite will tell alot.....Wake Forest needs Taylor to throw well. I saw him at State games and again against North Raleigh last Friday. When he's got it going your in for a long nite. But its baseball.......you never know from day to day what will happen!!! Good luck to all!!!!!!!!

9. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Game 2:

Garner - 8
    Wake Forest - 7

Mark Locklear of Garner hit a game winning homerun in the bottom of the 13th to put Garner ahead 2-0 in the Best of 5 series for the Area 1 West title.

Mark Carver (Garner/UNCW) pitched 9 innings of relief in this game, and he also hit a game-tieing 2run HR in the bottom of the 7th.

Game 3 is tomorrow night @ Wake Forest.

10. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Garner swept Wake Forest 3-0 by winning Game 3, 4-2.

Garner - Area 1 West Champs
    Wayne County - Area 1 East Champs

Game 1: Garner @ Wayne County, Monday Night

Congratulations Garner and Wayne, they have qualified for the State Tourney in Shelby.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2004