1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

ASA rule only.....

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by marlinfan1, Jul 25, 2009.

1. scal

scal Full Access Member

My DD said she was always taught by her coaches the look left and right upon breakdown, but to turn right and out of play once the play is considered over and a coach does not tell her to advance. But I guess according to the rule as stated or not, a DD can turn in any direction as long as she does not make an attempt to go to 2nd. BUT, when that happens it leaves it up to the discretion of the umpire for interpretation on the rule? What happens if DD is considered in play and gets hit by the bouncing ball? There's got to a line in the dirt to cross somewhere.

2. chachacha

chachacha Full Access Member

I believe the ASA difference is this. Once you cross first base you can do the following.

Turn to the right...once you turn to the right you cannot advance to second base..you must retreat straight to first base.

Turn to left, but stay in the so called runners lane...you can then advance to second or go back to first, but it must be done immediately.

Now, if you start back to first base you cannot feint or fake towards second or advance to second. If you do you can be called out by the umpire without a tag. I believe this is where the rule is a little different in ASA.

3. NDSB10

NDSB10 Full Access Member

Still don't understand

This was a play Involving our younger Attitude Team The Ump just blew it Never did get a good explanation We teach our girls to turn left after running strait thru the bag Gives them a better view of the field This girl was walking back to the bag Not rounding First no attempt to advance to second We had another one this year in Burlington The ball tipped of the firstbasemans glove and hit our runner They called her out said she was running in fair territory She was only a step off of first

4. chachacha

If she was heading back to first base with no hesitation then the ump did blow the call.

5. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

.....Our 23u team was waiting to play on the field occupied by your team, the Attitude team. i came up after the play but stood and watched as the "call" was determined and the coaches tried to make their points to the umps.
    Its been killing me to understand this "ASA rule only" #1 because I didn't see the play and in the end, the call made no sense to me.

BTW, PROPS to the Attitude coaches, players and fans for handling this on the field oddity with class.

Fish

6. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

...does the pitcher have to be in the circle?
    Fishpappy

7. WndMillR

WndMillR Full Access Member

yes

Correct... we teach our kids to turn left, stay in fair territory, and walk back towards first... They can view the field, and if there is an opportunity to take second, they will. They are taught to watch for the 2b/ss collapse to slap hands with the pitcher and leave 2b exposed. (See Dancing Dollies)

8. chachacha

I agree that we teach it that way, but the ASA is a little different. If she starts heading back to first base she can be and should be called out if she attempts to head towards second base. Once you start back towards first base you can only go to first base.

9. betterbatter

betterbatter Full Access Member

I don't know what the ASA rule is, but colleges teach staying on the line, pivoting left, and going straight back to first. The reason is that if the ball is overthrown, the runner is closer to second than if she peels off to the right. The high school rule states that the runner can be tagged out only if she turns left, making an attempt toward second. This of course is in the judgement of the umpire.

10. cmmguy

cmmguy *

An umpire's perception of intent is what makes the difference. If they view the turn as an attempt to advance then you can get rung up on either the look back rule or be eligible to be tagged out. Some umpires are cut and dry on determining intent and automatically look at the turn toward 2nd(in fair territory) as "not abandoning" your advance. Some umpires will watch and determine your intent.