1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Atlantic Coast Baseball

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by ACB, Dec 8, 2004.

1. ACB

ACB Atlantic Coast Baseball

I would like to take a second to introuduce myself. I am the Director of Baseball Operations for Atlantic Coast Baseball, a new elite high school wood bat league. We are based in Wilson, NC. We are modeled after successful NCAA summer collegiate leagues such as Coastal Plain, Cape Cod, Northwood's, etc.

Our focus is providing a league where all teams are in the same competitive boat. By us eliminating long travel and providing stiff competition, we are able to accomplish another goal we set for our league. No more long trips to either play weak teams, have umpires no-show or play in fields that are sloppy. Our league must approve ownership groups, field/stadiums, umpires, etc.

We are selling franchise rights to teams in North Carolina, South Carolina & Virginia. Players can come from all parts of the country granted the team has provided enough host families. Eligible players include current freshman, sophomores, juniors & a select number of seniors.

Teams in our league will play a 28 game regular season followed by an end of season tournament. A single game during the week, double header Saturday and single game Sunday is a typical week for our league.

If you have comments, feedback or questions, please contact our office @ 252-291-6751 or email [email protected]. You can check out our website @ www.atlantic-coast-baseball.com.

Thanks for your time, we look forward to hearing from you.

Where the Elite Come to Compete!

2. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

It would be helpful if you would put a name with your ad so we could have an idea of who you are. This would also allow us to verify the information posted if any of us are serious about this opportunity. Thanks for providing the information.

Steve Evans
    Person High School
    Roxboro, NC

3. PersonRocketDad

PersonRocketDad Moderator

ACB

Coach Evans, His name is Jason Newsham loacated out of Wilson NC. Go to there web link in his article and look at there website. Our Coaching staff (The Carolina Titans) have been talking with Mr. Newsham and we are interested in there league. Call me if you would like to discuss further. See ya soon! :xyzthumbs

4. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Thanks ROCKETDAD--- I just wanted to make sure that there was a name with a group name, not to slight anybody, but many times I ahev seen anonymous ads put on sites that have little validity. Just stating his name would have made the post more inviting to people since it could be easily checked out. That's all. Call me...

5. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

It looks like they are targetting the I-95 corridor and points east of there.

Not much opportunity for the G'bo-WS-Triad thru Asheville I-40 Corridor or from G'bo-WS-Triad thru Charlotte I-85 corridor. Too bad since it sounds like a decent idea.

Good luck on your venture.

6. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

Okay, I'll ask it:

Do we REALLY need another wood bat league in the Carolinas? How many games can the pros scout? How diluted is the talent base becoming?

7. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

He could probably fill his league from the spring HS tryouts at JH Rose alone....Can you imagine having that many players showing up for a single HS baseball team?

I don't know the status of Legion ball in that region so I don't know if it's an option for the players. They don't seem to be in the Raleigh area so there isn't any impact there. The web site states that they want to also bring in players from other (northern) states and place them with host families, which is unusual at the HS level.

I dunno ... It's not anywhere near us, so I probably just won't form an opinion. We'll let the guys in the area near them fill us in on how they do.

On the other hand, it's great seeing you post Prepster !!!!

8. ACB

Info on the league

I would like to answer several questions posed in the above threads.

First off my name is Jason Newsham and I am the Director of Baseball Operations for Atlantic Coast Baseball. I wrote two messages this morning and the one that was deleted had my name on it so I apologize for the mix-up.

As for the number of high school wood bat leagues in North Carolina, I can't answer that. I understand there are a number of wood bat tournaments but we wouldnt be classified under that heading.

College and pro scouts need to select the games they go see live. It is our philosophy and goal to have our league be on the top of their schedule. We can do that by providing the competition we keep talking about. The college and pro scouts will have an interactive page on our website that will let them browse through our team and player information. They will see the probable pitchers for the upcoming weekend, updated player stats, etc.

The areas we are targeting are the three states we mentioned before (NC, SC & VA). We have had interest as far south west as Greenville SC and as far north as Alexandria and Fairfax County (VA). The groups we are meeting with during the next few weeks all are in the central and eastern part of NC, but that is not a true indication of where the teams will be at.

Teams can provide host families for players from outside the area including outside of the state. We are modeling ourselves after the NCAA Summer Leagues and feel that bringing in outside talent will increase the competition within each individual team which ultimately leads to competitive contests.

As for legion ball, many of our coaches will be coming from travel team experiences. With that being said, most coaches have contacts within an area to maintain a competitive edge without dipping into legion teams. We feel that after our first summer, players who hesitated on us the first season will be interested in year two. It is all about the product and the delivery. There are more than two car dealerships in town. And we feel that we can deliver.

And finally, we are attempting something different. This isnt a start up of an already name league. We want to create a minor league experience for these players. We want to minimize travel costs to find quality competition. I can not tell you how many coaches we have talked to that have traveled up and down the coast each weekend playing games. And when I asked about quality, it was less than 20%. One coach claimed to play 65 games and only 15 or so were competitive where his team was challenged and he felt he coached.

This league is going to take a lot of work to not only get up but stay up. We have logged many hours and miles to get to where we are. We will be updating our website over the weekend so check it on Monday the 13th. Keep the questions and comments coming.

Thanks again for your interest in Atlantic Coast Baseball, 'Where the Elite Come to Compete'

9. ACB

Atlantic Coast Baseball Ownership

I have received several personal emails this afternoon in regards to what it takes to own an Atlantic Coast Baseball team for 2005. I am posting the leagues response to everyone in case you had the same thoughts.

We are offering franchises for $2,500. You will secure your location with a down payment of $1,000 (made payable to Atlantic Coast Baseball). The league will run a background check and also approve or deny your field/stadium request. Your check will not be cashed but rather held in escrow until an agreement is signed. If the league denies your request for admittance into the league, you will receive your down payment back.

Your balance of $1,500 will be do upon signing a franchise agreement. If at that time you choose to back out, you will receive the down payment back in full.

As the owner of an Atlantic Coast Baseball team, you will act as a liaison for the league, to the community. As an owner, you will need to budget additional monies for: field rental, manager pay, umpires, travel, uniforms, etc. The league is working with baseball companies on equipment needs, uniforms, etc. to get everyone the best deal.

As the owner, you will also set player fee's (if any), fundraisers, marketing ideas, and other revenue generators. All of these factors will help determine if a baseball franchise will be worth the investment.

If you are interested in the purchase of a franchise or franchise application, call the office today, 252-291-6751 (leave message if no answer). Or you can email me at [email protected] and let me know of the area of interest.

Because of several people in similar areas, we would not recommend waiting.

We look forward to hearing from you in regards to this matter.

'Where the Elite Come to Compete'

10. cc12501

cc12501 Full Access Member

How are you going to stray away college players from other leagues such as the Coastal Plains, the Great Lakes and the New England Leagues? It just seems like it would be difficult to get good players to play for yet another league. There are already so many.