1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Bad Rules

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by reporter, Mar 12, 2005.

1. vtchic818

vtchic818 ~!~Slick~!~ #7

From a high school players point of view: (Will start off with the face masks) I personally can't stand them. My freshman year I got hit in the face by a bad pitch and had a swollen face for quite a while, but still could not stand to wear a facemask. My coach is trying to get the underclassmen to go ahead and start wearing the facemasks to get used to them for next yr, so as a senior I thought I would step up and do the same to set a good example. I don't necessarily think it should be mandatory but I think it's good that it is, b/c it will cut down on a lot of doctor bills and hurt players. And one thing else, it's not always b/c you're coached the wrong way to bunt... sometimes things happen and the ball breaks at the last minute, you can't exactly help that and it's not b/c you were poorly coached.

(The orange base) Again, don't personally think it's needed but I think it's a good idea. I've seen way too many accidents on the ball field b/c a 1st baseman got knocked out or the runner got hurt. Yet again it's not always b/c of bad coaching. The 1st baseman could be reaching for a bad throw, the runner could hit the edge of the base wrong for once, and so many other reasons. It's just preventing players from getting too hurt.

Basically my point is that I sometimes we may not always like these safety rules but in the end I think they'll help a lot of girls. I hate the fact that guys and girls have double standards and they have a lot nicer equipment and fields, but hey... if the guys want to be cool and not have safety rules then they're just the ones getting hurt. (Not that I want them to get hurt). I just think the argument b/w the double standards for equipment/money and for safety are 2 different things. Sometimes, I wonder if us players are the ones here to actually play the sport or just to allow our parents to have something to argue about.

2. ladiesbballfan

ladiesbballfan Full Access Member

Hey, pretty good reasoning for a young lady! :ylsuper:

3. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

she is a Player for sure and we gotta another chance to see her play(finally meet her this time)!!

Ashley, adjustment is part of this Game, ain't it?? :wink:

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

This has been an interesting thread. I have really enjoyed it and have become more informed. I commend all posters for discussing a "hot topic" in a civil way.

5. Bucsoftball1

Bucsoftball1 Junior Member

How about the new rule this season no one has mentioned. If a batter is awarded a walk and runs to first inside the baseline, the catcher can throw the ball to first and if it hits the batter she is out. Obviously when a runner is on third alot of us will have our catchers throw to first to keep the batter from advancing to third. However, even with no one on or a runner on second, this is still in effect. I am sure that there will be coach somewhere who will try and use this rule to thier advantage by walking a good hitter and instructing his catcher to throw down the line to hit the batter. Since it will be an interference call no one can advance. Obviously all batters should run in the runner lane but I even see the major leaguers get lazy on this. We are talking about 15-18 yr old girls and unfortunately not all of them have their heads in the game. I would hope this I never see it happen but I am sure somewhere along the line it will be done.

6. jnwta

jnwta Faded away.

I must be missing something somewhere.....I played baseball a long, long time ago, way before t-ball and the mix of "everybody wins and safety first" rules took over youth sports.....but I guess I am incorrect in thinking that the ball was dead at the issuance of a walk.....hmmm, maybe next the powers that be will decide to have the uniforms painted with dayglow orange targets for the catchers to hit too?...... :thud:

7. Bmac1

Bmac1 Full Access Member

The ball is LIVE when a walk is issued. Batter/runner can continue on to 2nd base as long as she doesn't stop while the pitcher has control of the ball in the circle. If the batter/runner does stop, she must immediately return to first or will be called out for being off the base while the ball is in the circle.

As for the orange targets, please don't give them any more ideas!

8. jnwta

jnwta Faded away.

:bananalam