1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Bad Sportsmanship or Hard Nose baseball??

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Low & Slow, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Low & Slow

Low & Slow Full Access Member

Running it up, IMO.

2. Kevin11

Kevin11 Full Access Member

gamesmanship etc.......

My take on a couple of these.

Coach in the box, probably gamesmanship and that is okay as long as he isn't talking to my pitcher/player directly. Besides, I am going to be sitting in my dugout yelling to my pitcher to blow it by the hitter.

Having been on both sides of blow out games, all I can say is win with grace, and lose with grace. The sun don't shine on the same dog's arse everyday and one day the shoe will be on the other foot. I have been in games where we were clearly overmatched and down 15 runs in the third inning and the team beating us was bunting for sacrifices and hits. I didn't like it but I told my kids, even though it pisses me off, it is your job to stop it! Don't like it, work harder and don't let it happen again.

Now my pet peeve, base runners clapping their hands while they are on base with their lead! I can't stand that and I think that is BUSH. Some may disagree, but I never liked that.

3. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

First of all

I have never understood how talking to one of your hitters as they were trying to hit actually helped them? And if your trying to coach them up between pitches isnt it a little too late for that one as well?

Im with Kevin I have always hated the clapping while running the bases. Im not much on all the hoolaganism's "you like that word" from the dugout during a game. Pull for your team mate's all that other stuff is pathetic.

I dont believe in throwing at anyones head for any reason. But if someone throws at our guys heads I will take that up with the other coach not his players. I dont believe in running up the score on a team that can not defend itself. But I dont have any problem at all beating the absolute hell out of someone that can, but disrespects the game and my team.

If a player or players disrespects the game I dont look at the kid as much as I do the coach or coaching staff of the team he is playing for. Its no different if your out at the mall and a kid is acting like a jackass. "Dang I guess his parents didnt raise him worth a spit did they."

Players will respect the game if they are taught to respect the game. They will play hard and they will win and lose with class if they are taught that is the way its supposed to be done. If they dont and there are no consequences then only look as far as the coach or coaches. Now if the coaches are acting like clowns then take it for what it is. Clowns teaching kids how to be clowns.

Just play the game. Play hard , compete , pull for your team , and win and lose with class.

4. Diesel1

Diesel1 Stay Strong, Uncle Sam.

Above reference to player slapping glove and "fake" tag... bush. Have seen at least TWICE where runner is rounding second, second baseman or SS pops glove like he is receiving the ball and makes a tagging gesture towards the runner, which in turn causes the runner to pull up. Field ump catches it, immediately awards next base due to defensive interference. Impeding the advancement of a runner. Right call or not? I dunno, but works for me.

Respect the game, don't embarrass yourself. Your "big league"antics in your eyes and in your team mates eyes are bush to everyone else and makes you, your coach and your family look like complete fools. Play to win, but bush league crap just tells everyone you are simply not a gamer and gotta try anything to stay in it.

5. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

Oh yes. Player has nothing to do with that. I do not think there is acase at this level anyway for a head throw at a kid. Even at the plate.

6. Plate Dad

Ok

Guess I wrong. The pitcher should go over and tell the third base coach. "Save your breath, I'm striking him out so just shut your pie hole."

7. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

The Coach that teaches, and prepares his team, in a classy way won't have to worry about his guys handling such situations. The players will know what to do... and most likely, they'll be the ones leaving with a W!

Reminds me of when my son was 11 playing AAU ball. The team he had been on the year before had split, basically forming two teams. In a tournament we were playing them when my son came to bat. The asst. coach for the other guys was sitting on a bucket just outside the dugout on the third base side, yelling out to his pitcher "Throw it by him! He can't hit!" G was a little guy then, but had a "big guy" heart. First pitch G turned on it and knocked the bucket out from under the coach, dumping him on his ass! There were never anymore comments after that.

8. Plate Dad

That's one way to throw it at his head. Use the bat.

9. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Hard nose baseball should never be confused with poor sportsmanship, bush tactics or gamesmanship.

I believe hard nose baseball is just that----playing hard on the field. Gamesmanship is something else entirely. What RV of Rose did in the last inning against Providence (going to the mound) was gamesmanship. The old school guys know what I'm talking about.

- It's the coach that knows how to handle umpires to get their best effort
    - It's the coach that is two steps ahead of the opposing coach; forcing the coach to make a decision he didn't want to make.

There's games inside the game---and that's where you will find the gamesmanship being played. It has nothing to do with bush plays or bad sportsmanship. It's an art....just not one that is played as much as before.

10. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Speaking of gamesmanship by coaches THAT WORKS,,, the better coaches know WHEN and HOW to argue calls.

Lesser coaches will charge umpires not even realizing how this can be perceived by BLUE to show them up,,, same category, how many times do you see less experienced coaches making an ass of themself by arguing calls when the game is clearly out of hand.