1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Bad Umpires

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Holla, Jun 7, 2003.

Do you think that most umpires are bad?

Poll closed Jun 27, 2003.
  1. yes

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. no

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Holla

Holla Junior Member

You would think that in American Legion you would see some pretty good umpires but no. I am a player and my team has played 8 games and we have had 1 set of good umps in 8 games. We played in Hendersonville last night and no lie the umpire behund the plate was giving pitches at least 5-6 inches off the plate. I consider myself to be a pretty good baseball player but i can't hit a pitch that is 5 inches off the plate. We played 7 innings in under an hour and a half because the umpire was ringing everyone up. Anyone who knows anything about Legion baseball knows that the games are 9 innings and they are usually very time consuming. I could understand having bad umpires if they were doing it for free but these guys get paid good money. If the umpires are this bad then why do we pay them? I know and understand that umpiring by far is not an easy job but the calls I've seen some umpires make this year a blind man could have called just as well. By the way the games last night against Hendersonville was called in the 8th due to rain the score was tied at 1. It seems like to me that umpires shold be evaluated on their job and something should be done with this madness.

2. homerun4

homerun4 Full Access Member

I AGREE THER ARE SOME BAD UMPIRES THEY ARE IN IT FOR THE MONEY.

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I hate to say this because it is an attack on the very few good ones, but most Legion umpires are the bottom of the barrel. The good ones have been snapped up in AAU, showcase and AABC games.

There are some..out of Charlotte...that are ok, but they are far and few between.

Last weekend at a USSSA tourney in Winston Salem, I saw and met the BEST umpire I have ever seen at that level. I was trying to offer him a bribe to move to Charlotte...and to his credit..he asked, "How much?"...no, no, no, just kidding. He turned me down

4. Rampage_Maintain

Rampage_Maintain Member

All they need to do is Pass a Vision, Motor Skills, Speech, & IQ Test!! Oh yeah...... they have to at least play the sport...that their a ref or umpire.

And I have seen my share of bad, stuped, &..... some other ones but ya'll get my point.

MAINTAIN!!!!

5. fatman

fatman Full Access Member

Usually the umpiring really isn't too bad, remember, umps usually have day jobs and are umpiring in order to keep a connection to the game.

However, I saw one of the worst calls ever last week in a college game -

Bottom of the 7th, Wilson Park. WCU vs NC State. Score tied 4 to 4. 2 out, runners on 1st and 3rd. Western up to bat. Runner from 1st breaks to 2nd. Catcher throws to shortstop covering 2nd. Runner stops 3/4 to second, 3rd base runner takes off for home. Infield yells to ss who is trying to chase down 1st base runner to throw the ball home. SS reacts and throws home. 3rd base runner is sitting on home plate when the tag is made. Ump calls him out.

Result - State wins in14 innings. The fix was in?!? Homer umps? This happend in the regionals last Sunday. I wonder if the NCAA was worried that State wouldn't make it to the super regionals. It had already been known that GA Tech had been beat Saturday.

The umps in the regionals were paid $1,500 plus $50 per diem to work the tournament. Boy, were they terrible.

6. Rampage_Maintain

Rampage_Maintain Member

7. Dynasty07

Dynasty07 Full Access Member

i've noticed the black umpires are always the best ones...

8. Papabear

Papabear Full Access Member

This spring I saw the worst umpiring in college baseball that I've seen anywhere, including youth, high school and Legion baseball. The calls were consistently bad behind the plate and in the field. The calls went both ways, but you would expect the quality of the umpiring crews to improve at a higher level of play.

9. ACHSfan

ACHSfan Junior Member

SOMEBODY HAS A PROBLEM (holla)

This criticism of umpires sounds like its coming from a hitter who can't hit low curveballs. A breaking ball 6 to 8 inches off the plate should not prove very difficult to hit. For proof of this, watch the Yankees play once; Derek Jeter can handle it EVERYTIME!:D

10. Chisox17

Chisox17 Resident Niners Fanatic

someone call the wwhhhaaaambulance. holla, quit complaining. both teams have to deal with the same ump.