1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Baseball Talk: Hitting, Pitching, Catching Strategy

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NCBBallFan, Jan 30, 2003.

Most Important Ages for Development

1. 8-10 (Winner)

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 11-12 (Also Ran)

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. 13-14 (Runnerup)

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. 15-16 (Out of the Running)

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. 18-20 (No one cares)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

Base runners aren't stealing off the catcher in H.S., they are stealing off the pitcher. Speeds are too close to MLB averages for a lot of our faster guys.

One measure that's easier to take than the pop-time is the unload time of the pitcher. You want it in the 1.15-1.25 seconds. Most HS pitchers (except lefties) are above 1.5

I do believe that you can measure pop times accurately by:
    1. Stand in the in-field.
    2. Don't watch and anticipate for either position.
    3. Go entirely by sound.

Pop-time targets should be based pretty much on grade. A JV player doesn't and shouldn't have the same pop time as a V guy... arm's not as strong.
    Good: 2.0 Vars 2.2 JV

Last edited: Feb 16, 2003
  2. rcbbfan

rcbbfan Full Access Member

I'm going to have to agree with DodgerBlues on this one. Pop times ARE absolutely relevent to who's holding the stop watch. I don't necessarily mean "daddy" as opposed to a coach or scout. I mean do you know how quick .1 sec. is not to mention .01 sec?

I recently attended a pitcher/catcher camp at USC in Columbia. While the catchers were throwing for times a couple of other dads and myself were timing the kids ourselves. It was an eye opening experience for me. While we were always pretty close to what the coach on the field had(+/- .1 sec.) , nobody ever had the same times. There was no set pattern, by that I mean nobody always had a faster time or slower time. On several occassions the other dads had better times for my son than I did and I had better times for their sons than they did. While none of us are professional time keepers I think it proves that it depends on who's holding the watch, whether intentional or not.

I have tried to see how quick my reflexes are by starting a stop watch and as soon as I see 1 sec. on the watch, stop it. It takes a very consistant .3 sec. for me to do so. So that means .6 sec. deviation on the throw. To me that means that variations from one timer to another would be very common. Anticipating the catch on either end of the throw will only compound the variation in times.

I really liked what Coach Tanner said at the camp, "Perception is reallity". No matter what a college coach or pro scouts time is, that's the reallity.

My son once asked a college coach at a showcase camp, "What's a good pop time for D1 catchers"? His answer, "1.8-1.9sec. ,BUT if you can hit that number goes up". So, like most everything else in baseball it's all reletive to what a coach or scout is looking for, a catch and throw catcher, a good defensive catcher who blocks balls well and calls a good game, or a catcher who can flat knock the cover off the ball. And that friends is what really matters.

3. NCBBallFan

Yea - I've heard Coach Tanner make that same statement - he's a great guy.

How important is the pop time? As important as the coach wants it to be....

I agree you will have a variance, but they will tend to average out. You can't take 2-3 readings... Do 10-12 per day over 2 days and throw out the extremes as probably your error and then take the average.

4. rcbbfan

rcbbfan Full Access Member

Another thing to consider is that I believe that some kids actually throw the ball better in game situations than they do when throwing for a time. When throwing for a time they often either rush themselves too much or put so much pressure on themselves and end up with a higher time. In a game it's totally a reaction and they don't have time to think about it. After all, it's how they throw in the game that matters.

5. allrightnow

allrightnow Free

We'll be measuring reaction times at 3B next, and I thought the object of playing ball was to have fun.

My question is, if a kid doesn't meet these arbitrary times, does that hold him back him from the next level . . . or even the present level?

Baseball is getting way too technical for me these days. I liked it better when all you had to do was catch the ball, throw the ball, and hit the ball. Now catchers have to worry about their pop time.

6. NCBBallFan

IMHO, like any other measurement, the pop time is just one of a number of things that scouts look at. They are looking at blocking, framing, leadership, hitting, technique, accuracy, footwork, arm strength, poise, etc.

What I think is the most important (and why players have to be evaluated in person during a game) is game instincts, particularly behind the plate.

Each of these will receive a "number" for what the scout thinks is their present ability and he will try to "project" what they will look like as they mature.

We hear about pop times all the time because it's the one objective (versus subjective) measurement so it's an easy comparison. It's not the most important, but it's not ignored.

A catchers pop time compares to a pitchers fast ball velocity. It's the one thing every one wants to know about a pitcher - how hard does he throw. The FB velocity doesn't give you any idea of how well he can pitch. Ditto the pop time if the catcher throws half of them into right center field.

When they measure pop times, they will, at the same time, measure accuracy and report both. As you go on to higher levels, you find out that everything is important - they want you go be complete players. Everything is important, but not critical. If you don't have a good pop time, they may also see a footwork change that can cut .2 off your pop (they will report that also in your projections). They are pretty thorough.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2003
  7. NCBBallFan

Attributes of a position player?

Here are some attributes for position players. Some are tools and some are skills which is a lot different. A lot of attributes are subjective calls. What are your favorites, or what do you see as the most important?

Tools Categories: Running Speed, Raw Power, Hitting Ability, Fielding Ability, Arm Strength.

Application of Tools Categories: Baserunning, Power production, Fielding Range.

General baseball/personal attributes: Aptitude, Work Ethic, Self Confidence, Agressiveness, Baseball Instincts, Poise, Mental Toughness, Character

8. Up and In

Up and In Full Access Member

Very well said NCBballFan.

One attribute of a position player that goes along with some that you mentioned would be "ability to handle failure". There sooo many good position players who will make an error and hang his head or make another immediately after. One of the attributes that seperates a good position player and a great position player is the ability to pick yourself up immediately after an error and want the next ball. The ball will find you! Along with picking yourself up, you must have the ability to recognize when a fellow position player is down on himself and pick him up. Too many times a teammate or a coach will get on a player for a physical mistake and "chew him out". It is your job as a fellow position player and as a teammate to "pick him up" after a teammate makes a mistake. By doing that, your/ your teammate will make the next play(s), your pitcher will throw less pitches, your teammate(s) will remain confident and your defense will give up less runs.

Just another little thing that can change the outcome of a game.

9. NCBBallFan

Great observation Up ....

Your a pitcher (from your screen name) .... What about a pitcher picking up a position player by bearing down and not letting in that "un-earned run"....???? Another application of the same thing hunh?

10. highntight

highntight North Meck Dad

Attributes

NCBBFAN: One of the hardest one to find is the player who wants to have the bat in his hands or have the ball hit to them in game swinging situations! Do you think this is learned or born with ability.