1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Baseball Talk: Hitting, Pitching, Catching Strategy

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NCBBallFan, Jan 30, 2003.

Most Important Ages for Development

1. 8-10 (Winner)

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 11-12 (Also Ran)

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. 13-14 (Runnerup)

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. 15-16 (Out of the Running)

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. 18-20 (No one cares)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I don't like it for the reasons already stated. I don't like even more at the HS level for this reason. HS kids are always developing. Each at bat, each game, each year. The signal it sends to the position player that he can't hit and the less he gets the opportunity to bat only sends a negative reaction to his confidence and self esteem.

Maybe the reason the position player is not hitting is because he doesn't get enough chances to improve.

2. LakeNormanFan

LakeNormanFan Full Access Member

Braves,

The reason is this; there's nothing wrong with the game of baseball-----but there's plenty wrong with the MLB which unfortunately is all that a lot of folks are exposed to. Bob Costas documented many thought-provoking reasons why the MLB is going "down-the-tubes" and what could and must be done to fix it in his book Fair Ball: A Fan's Case for Baseball (i.e. revenue sharing, salary caps, rule changes, radical realignment, frequent roster changes, fan-friendliness, long games and late starts in World Series games, just to name a few).

Let's face it, Major League Baseball is baseball's best marketing tool for the game itself but for some reason the powers that be in MLB just don't get it (they should look at the NFL and take notes). That's what has sent many fans, frustrated with MLB and thier high-ticket prices and inflated egos flocking to minor league ballparks in recent years (for anyone that hasn't been, the Durham Bulls have a fantastic AAA ballpark). True, as mentioned before, interest in all professional sports have recently been slowed because of the terrible condition of our economy, but baseball has been steadily going downhill since 1994, the year of the strike.

Times have changed and baseball is no longer the only game in town, but in spite of this change it's encouraging to see the number of youth teams growing and that's a good sign that the game will still be around for years to come.

PS - I wish someone would tell me this: Why is baseball so popular in some counties and not in others??!! Sounds like a subject for a new thread........

3. Braves

Good post and a good idea about the thread

4. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

Dernit ....

Thought we could get a discussion going - I don't like it either - in any shape, way or form.

Guess we are all "old school" - go National League!!!!!!

5. fatman

fatman Full Access Member

I think that it sucks! When my son played Babe Ruth ball, he always hit in the 3,4, 5 position. When he began as a starting pitcher in JV, he didn't even take batting practice any longer. He's now a sophomore pitcher in college, and I don't remember seeing him at the plate since BR.

Gesselein at Indy was mostly a DH until his senior year in HS, and got a pretty good deal to go to LR.

6. fatman

fatman Full Access Member

Other than the obvious, several MLB teams have high dollar rosters while others are basically farm teams for them, constantly changing rosters, and the cancellation of the series several years ago, I wonder if the lack of popularity of the game is due to the present state of youth ball.

When I was a wee lad, though we played in organized leagues, they were only for a short time each year. Now, baseball goes year round with spring ball, all stars, fall ball, travelling leagues, AAU, select teams, etc.

I observed more than once a coach in the under 13 leagues stretch the rules so that the bench players only made token appearances; it was important to win at all costs.

Children who are mediocre or poor players don't get a chance to play much, and this contributes to their becoming non-fans. The more talented ball players move to the big field at 13 are fans who will more than likely stay fans.

Rec ball and select ball have kids so organized that players (and their parents) expect umpires, uniforms, nice fields, etc.

When was the last time you saw kids playing a pick-up game with less than 9 per side, playing in a pasture, field, or street, with a toss of the bat to choose sides, imaginary runners, and rules made up as the game progressed, and children imagining that they're Derek Jeeter, Sean Casey, Ken Griffey, Tom Glavine, etc.?

What happened to the love of the game? Have demanding parents and coaches reliving their youth ruined it?

Most fans of basketball, football, etc., are not gifted players, but do play pick up games and learn about the game. They enjoy watching games on TV because they understand the rudiments of the game. I'm not so sure that this is the case with baseball.

Sorry about the ramblings, but as much as I love the game, I see so much causing the decline of the Grand Old Game.

7. Braves

No ..don't worry about that. All opinions are valued and all rants are acceptable. That was the purpose of my thread.

Quite honestly, I miss Rec ball and all the different levels of players. For me, I derived more satisfaction to watch a kid grow from where he started to where he finished in a season, than any kid picked for an " All Star" team. I hope as I have.. hhem, matured, the purpose of youth teams have become more clearer to me...and that is to have fun playing baseball.

8. LakeNormanFan

LakeNormanFan Full Access Member

well said Braves

even though my son has made the school team and plays AAU he still plans on trying to fit in some Rec League games because it is so laid back and fun. (especially for his MOM)

the AAU intensity has my wife so tainted that she refuses to go to them now

9. Braves

My wife goes to games but she won"t watch...she gets too excited. Rec ball was perfect for her

10. playme

playme Full Access Member

ok i will finish this thread...everytime i have run this play it has worked to perfection..once even a double play...

as soon as pitcher comes set, ss moves up even with 2b runner and slaps his glove, (not behind the runner, in front), and breaks for 3b; 3bman breaks for home, 1bman breaks for home, everything happens in front of the runners; 2bman,(key player), breaks for 2b....pitcher wheels for 2b pick-off....runner is usually like a deer caught in the head lights...he is dead...momentum shift...dp still in order....

this play has to be worked on everyday by every pitcher and every infielder...if the coach makes a trip to the mound, the play is blown...if a pitching change occurs, the play is blown...this play will take an agressive base running team out of its game in any inning...