1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Baseball Talk: Hitting, Pitching, Catching Strategy

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NCBBallFan, Jan 30, 2003.

Most Important Ages for Development

1. 8-10 (Winner)

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 11-12 (Also Ran)

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. 13-14 (Runnerup)

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. 15-16 (Out of the Running)

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. 18-20 (No one cares)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. al_bundy

al_bundy Full Access Member

I saw a legion game where a kid threw over 200 pitches a few years ago. No joke. They were keeping a chart on him, and the dugout got all pumped up when he threw pitch number 200 (it was the last batter of the game, thankfully). He pitched the whole game. The game was a barnburner, and they won like 14-12 or something like that, but it was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. Don't remember what teams were playing or who the pitcher was, though. It most likely wasn't the only time he'd been pushed excessively hard, though.

Personally, any pitch count approaching 100 pitches for a high school pitcher is too much. Mechanics go to pot when the pitch counts get high, and not only if the pitcher less effective, he may either develop bad habits or injure himself. What makes it even worse is that the next night he may be playing short or outfield and be forced to make all sorts of throws on defense. These young arms can't handle all that, and college or pro careers are ruined every season because of it.

2. LakeNormanFan

LakeNormanFan Full Access Member

Thanks for the input!!!!

"This Board Really Does Rock"

3. gonzo

gonzo Full Access Member

Check out the threads on HSBASEBALLWEB on this. There a as many different opinions on this as there are fingerprints. I have talked incessantly with coaches and scouts on this (my son is a pitcher, playing in college) and his maximum pitch count ever was 127. The things that are always forgotten when you discuss pitch counts (a point made to me by Greg Clewis) are bullpen before the game (usually 20-40), 4-8 pitches every inning, how throws to first? So it is conceivable for a 120 pitch count pitcher to throw 180-200 pitches in a game.

The thing I see most often is the pitcher and his own ego. They get up over 100 pitches and at the moment their arm feels OK. So they convince the coach (against everyones better judgement) to leave them in. The injury is not immediate. As often as not, the wear and tear shows up months or years later. I know of one pitcher from West Meck, who in his very first outing last year threw 147 pitches. I have known this young man since he was 6 and I was crushed to be talking to him halfway through the high school season last year complaining of arm problems. By the way, he told the coach his arm hurt, but the coach made him go back out.

4. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Stinky

5. Up and In

Up and In Full Access Member

I threw 59 pitches versus Hopewell last Saturday.

My pitch count for this afternoon will be at about 80-85.

6. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

"Up and In" is big, strong, in great condition, has been throwing over the winter, has outstanding technique and is an upperclassman. If he is on a pitch count, you KNOW a freshman, 14 years old, without his experience, technique or arm strength should also be on a pitch count!

Thanks for the input Up..... as always, I knew we could count on you!!!!!
    :D :D :D :D

7. Up and In

Up and In Full Access Member

Your very welcome NC!

I am always glad to help if I can.

8. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

By the way, Up, I will be at your game today. I'll be the one wearing green:)

9. gonzo

gonzo Full Access Member

I see you have finally agreed to show a little taste in your attire
    :drums:

10. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Aw Gonzo, you should have seen me

I show up in a South Meck letter jacket that I stole from some kid and underneath the jacket was a flaming chartreuse ( Green for those who are color blind ) sweater shirt that was 2 sizes too small ( it belongs to my wife ).

I was afraid that some of the older MP crowd was going to have a heart attack with my fashion statement...but leave it to Mrs. Woodard and Mrs. Wilson to make me feel at home. Once I had their blessing, the rest of the gang tolerated my presence. I don't think Ol' Braves was too welcomed in the Mustang corral, but that's okay...I sure had fun

..oh by the way, Myers Park spanked Independence.