1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Baseball Talk: Hitting, Pitching, Catching Strategy

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NCBBallFan, Jan 30, 2003.

Most Important Ages for Development

1. 8-10 (Winner)

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 11-12 (Also Ran)

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. 13-14 (Runnerup)

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. 15-16 (Out of the Running)

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. 18-20 (No one cares)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

Your Favorite Aspect

What do you love the most about the game?

What do you watch at a game?

Anything in particular you concentrate on?

How do you watch a game?

Pick one (or more).....take off.

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

The cheerleaders

3. rcbbfan

rcbbfan Full Access Member

Cheerleaders would be nice, but since there aren't any, I watch the pitcher and catcher.( like most everybody else) I try to think along with them and see if I can guess what they'll offer a batter next.

I really like to watch a good catcher. The way he sets up behind the batter, the way he gives signals, the way he returns the ball to the pitcher, and to watch a catcher that is really good at framing a pitch to see how much it helps his pitcher.

Since I don't get to play, I enjoy the mental part of the game as much as the physical part. Thinking what I'd do on each play as a coach. No, I'd never second guess a coach.(sure I would, but as long as I keep it to myself, who does it hurt)

I love baseball!!! Often people I know look surprised when I show up at a game and ask "what are you doing here?" I just tell them that I'm just liable to show up at any game at any time at any level. It's still America's favorite pastime and being one of thousands(millions?) of people that feel the same way can't be bad for ya.

4. Wufman

Wufman Full Access Member

What I watch and what I love about the game...

....Is all the little things that go on during a baseball game that decide whether a team scores or does NOT score a run. What kind of lead the runner is getting, whether he steals, whether he advances on an out, or simply whether he makes a bonehead decision. Does the team do a good job of bunting or hitting/running. And of course coaches make the wrong calls too, so does your coach usually "cost" you runs, or does your coach routinely help manufacture runs with good basecoaching?

Its fun to watch good pitching, catching, defense and hitting,,,, but I truly enjoy watching all these other "little" things that some people don't realize factor into games SO MUCH...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2003
  5. catamount36

catamount36 Full Access Member

I WILL HAVE TO GO WITH THE 15-16 YEARS OF AGE. THIS IS WHEN THEY HAVE FINALLY HIT THEIR LAST GROWTH SPURT AND THEIR BODY HAS TO CATCH UP WITH THEIR MIND. I HAVE SEEN MANY GREAT BALLPLAYERS BECOME AVERAGE AFTER THAT LAST GROWTH SPURT. THEY HAVE A TENDENCY TO LOSE COORDINATION ETC. DONT FORGET THIS IS ALSO WHEN THEY GET THEIR LICENSE AND MAYBE SOMETHING ELSE (REMEMBER IT IS UNDEFEATED) SO NOT ONLY THIER PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT IS IMPORTANT BUT ALSO THE MENTAL DEVELOPMENT, AND DEDICATION. NEURO MUSCULAR PATTERNS (MUSCLE MEMORY HAS TO BE RELEARNED OR FINE TUNED AFTER THE ADOLESCENT GROWTH SPURT. THIS IS WHY SOME NOT SOG GOOD ATHLETES BECOME GREAT ONES AND VICE-VERSA JUST A THOUGHT

6. Chief

Chief Braves Assistant

reminiscing or however you spell that word

7. EF-fazball9

EF-fazball9 Junior Member

What I watch and what I love about the game. . . .

While watching a game, I pay most attention to the pitcher, looking to see if he “has it” or not. I love watching a good pitcher. To see how he pitches, how he goes at each batter, how confident he is with his pitches, and to see how he reacts, and carries him self on the mound.

I love everything about the game. I love being out on the mound, the feeling you get after you let the ball go, and the next thing you hear, is the mit pop, there is no other feeling like it.

8. Eagles 1313

Eagles 1313 Full Access Member

When I'm watching a game I watch the pitcher and the catcher and see if they get into a rythem or anything like that, but first I check to see what pitches the pitcher has. After I find out what a pitcher has I sit and try to call pitches along with the catcher and pitcher on the field. Trying to call a game from the stands is a lot harder than on the field because you don't know all the batter's tendencies or hitting abilities.

The best thing about baseball is that if you screw up one day and go 0 for 4 with 4K's, you know that you can turn around the next day and go 4 for 4 just as easily!!

9. Up and In

Up and In Full Access Member

I have always enjoyed watching someone who is a "gamer". I enjoy watching the kid who shows up to the park before any other teammate, coach or scout. Someone who prepares for the game because he refuses to be beaten or unprepared the slightest bit. Someone who is not afraid to be that guy who does the things that other guys know they should be doing. The guy who refuses to not be the first one on and off the field everytime. The guy who wants the rock with the bases loaded and nobody out. The guy who picks up a teammate no matter what the physical mistake he may have made. The guy who competes and respects the game day in and day out because his drive and passion for the game pushes him too.
    There are some good ones in the Charlotte area. Some who guys would say are worth the price of admission by themselves.
    That is just one of the many things that I enjoy watching at a game.

10. cc12501

cc12501 Full Access Member

This sounds a lot like the guy who just said all of that. And look where he'll be going this fall. Spending the extra time on the field pays off in the long run.