1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Best Historical NC - SC High School Baseball Parks

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by GoingGoingGone, Feb 15, 2009.

1. GoingGoingGone

GoingGoingGone Junior Member

I have had the opportunity to visit many of the major league baseball stadiums in my life. Much of the enjoyment is not only the game but also the layout and features of the ballparks. The new stadiums are tremendously well designed and fan friendly with their unique features and entertainment capabilities. However if an alien were to land and ask "Where should I go to see an MLB game?" a popular couple of answers would still be Fenway or Wrigley. These old-time venues are truly treasures.

Likewise, college stadiums are now going through a transition. As college baseball increases in popularity the money is being allocated to enhance the fans enjoyment. I have recently visited North Carolina and South Carolina's new baseball palaces and they are spectacular and will amplify the experience of the game. All colleges are probably drawing up plans to compete. However, there will always be a place for that old historical stadium that has been kept up through the years. I would point to the experience of going to Cape Cod baseball games as evidence of this. Or even the great fields in Wilson or Edenton.

To my question - if a group of us wanted to go to the "Fenway Park or Wrigley Field" of North Carolina or South Carolina high school baseball where would it be and why? I would suspect that the mountain communities have some great fields but... The size of the school (1A vs 4A) has little importance.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and memories...

2. JM15

JM15 Moderator

my personal list
    -Legion game in Cherryville
    -West Henderson HS
    -Rose HS just because of the tradition and Coach RV
    -Orange HS
    -Legion game in Rowan County
    -Really like playing at Lee County and Fuquay
    -Any small town historic ballfield, Legion or HS. Mountains to the coast - there are some great fields in NC.

By the way, Cary HS (POTENTIAL WISE) could be one of the nicest fields around with work and year-round work. Great setting, down in a hole, surrounded by trees, on campus, etc. I am definitely biased to CHS because its where I am from, but I have talked to several baseball folks around the State who rave about the field's *Potential*.

3. SoutherNo1

SoutherNo1 Full Access Member

There you go JM...... a project!!

4. baseball411

baseball411 Full Access Member

Are they still practicing football on the CHS baseball field? If so, the potential will never be reached. Definately *could* be a nice setting though.

5. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Not only football, but now the great sport of lacrosse has taken over the outfield. Along with every baseball man's favorite sport, soccer.

In other words, don't get me started.

6. Diamond Rat

Diamond Rat Full Access Member

Don't get me started either, our football does the same thing. I'm just waiting for lacrosse to step on that field too...

7. PlayLaughLive

PlayLaughLive Play the Game

Sims Legion Park in Gastonia

Not sure why, but I have always liked this ballpark. Old time feel...

8. BaSeBaLlLoVeR11

BaSeBaLlLoVeR11 Full Access Member

agreed my father played there. i would also say rowan county legion at catawba college.

9. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

SJ

Bruce Coats Field at South Johnston HS between Benson and Four Oaks is a nice ballpark.

been there about 38 years. with several upgrades along the way.

Garner HS Trojan Stadium is pretty good as well.

10. shop24

shop24 Full Access Member

Newman Park - Salisbury
    Rich park - Mocksville
    Mcrary Park - Asheboro
    Finch Field- Thomasville