1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Best Legion Umpires Area IV

Discussion in 'American Legion' started by TGIF, Jun 26, 2007.

1. 9nine9

9nine9 Full Access Member

I'm unfamiliar with Area IV, but I consider Cecil Mock from Area III to be one of the best in the state. Extremely knowledgable and professional. I know he has be selected to work at least one World Series.

Another that stands out to me, is a guy I saw at the 2005 State Tourney. I don't know his name, or what area he was from but maybe some of you guys know him. He was a short guy with a shaved head - ex-Marine I think. He was behind the plate for at least 2 of Lexington state tourney games and he was a great ump.

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

The BigDipper is one of the best. Area IV is lucky to have him

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Are you kiddin? She's the 1st one surveyed. I saw one mom get upset because the umpire only allowed 3 outs..her son was coming up to bat next.

Mom's rule!!!!!

4. west boy

west boy Full Access Member

Dirk Swing in Area III has to be the worse!! Ask anybody who has seen him more than once. Most people know who he is especially around here. He likes the pitches a foot off the plate. Most umpires really aren't that bad, they are just inconsistent. It's hard to find a consistent umpire. It makes it hard on the batters because they swing at stuff they would never swing at because they don't want to get rung up looking. Just consistency is all I'm asking.

5. BigDipofCope

BigDipofCope Full Access Member

Ya know, I've read some names that I've never heard of that people say, he's the worst or he's so inconsistant. Let me tell you how I got into umpiring.

My first experience umpiring was at a 15 & 16 yr old game that I was coaching in. The umpire's didn't show up, so a coach for the other team went behind the mound to call balls & strikes. I really thought he was struggling, so I asked him if I could borrow some gear and go behind the plate to call balls & strikes. That was my first plate game. No training, no people to help me and no Navy blue shirt. I loved it. The next year I registered with the NCHSAA, paid my booking fee, went to three 2 hour clinic's, bought some umpiring gear and all the sudden was in my first scrimmage. I was taught at the clinics to be loud and confident with my calls. So part of the way through the first inning with a ball hit down the left field line I hustled down the 3rd base line and yelled "Fair" and pointed fair. After that inning I was told by some more experienced umpires that we yell Foul and only point Fair.

I called about 15 high school games that first year (1998) and after the season was over, called every recreation dept. in the area asking if they needed umpires. I continued to get better by picking the brains of the older umpires I worked with, reading books on umpiring mechanics and working alot for very little pay. This year I umpired almost 60 high school games, over 20 college games including my first Division I game, and 30+ Legion games. In 2004 I went to Jim Evan's Academy for Professional Umpires - a 5 week course in Florida because I want to be the best umpire I can be. I hope I am still improving.

When you talk about Joe Schmo who is the worst umpire you've seen and that is inconsistant and doesn't know a strike from a hole in the ground, ask yourself this: Have you ever umpired? If the answer is no, then I suggest you try it a couple times.... If the answer is yes, then shame on you for knocking someone publically when you know how hard it is.

I think this thread is Best Legion Umpires in Area IV, not "Hey let's knock umpires who we think are bad" So here are some names of the best Legion umpires in Area IV (of the one's I have worked with):

Dave Brown
    Charles Henry
    Brad Levine
    Dave Mabe
    Phil Tate
    Wayne Yount
    Scott Stilwell
    Kevin Bumgarner
    Tim Curtis
    Rick Curtis
    Eddie Taylor

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007