1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Bets qualities & ...

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by The "O", Dec 6, 2004.

1. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

Best qualities & ...

styles of coaching at the HS level? Hope this sparks some interest as well as discussion. I NEEEEEEEEEEEED to learn as much as I can! :huh: :thinking: :scared2: :xyzthumbs

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2004
  2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Tough, fair but approachable...maybe because those were the type coaches I had. :D

Some people say that todays kids are different. That it takes a different type of coach to coach them compared to 10-15-20 years ago.....I say NO!!!

Players are the same every year. They may have more distractions but coaching wise...they are the same. The only thing a player wants from their coach is " do you care about me:. If they feel that you do..they will do anything for you. Not any different than any other era.

The one thing that has changed during this time is the parents :)

I'd love to hear from the players about this....Good thread!!!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  3. homerun4

homerun4 Full Access Member

good point what kids need today is more disipline and the parents need to step back at the high school level.

4. Spartanfan

Spartanfan Full Access Member

Braves,

It is not often, but I will have to disagree with you on this one. Today's kids are different then when I was growing up (30 years ago)or even 10 years ago. I have been coaching youth baseball and basketball now for twelve years. I know that twelve years is not really a long time but it seems that kids today feel like we owe them something. I see it in the workplace everyday, the youth have too much going on, they don't want to put in the extra effort (at least not without getting something out of it) and they just quit when things don't go right for them because there is someone (usually Mom and Dad) making excuses for them. I was expected to do things above and beyond the normal 8 hours, sometimes without overtime pay or recognition, and I did them because I wanted to keep my job or I did it out of respect for my employer. That is one of the problems of our youth today. Lack of respect. I think the problem started with youth recreational leagues, everybody played because you payed your money, but that is not how it is in real life.

5. jnwta

jnwta Faded away.

AMEN, AMEN......although I am more of the basketball follower here, I agree with Spartanfan...as a high school player I played because it was fun, knowing full well I was not going anywhere with my talents, but because it was fun. Now the kids, even mine, is expecting something to come of it, whether it is recognition or scholarships, which some have been offered to her. I coached rec ball and think it is has it's merits but the biggest thing I did not like as a coach and/or parent was the foregone conclusion that everyone was going to get a trophy. Hey you don't win, you don't get the gold. BUT, we don't want to hurt anyones feelings.....please......

Back to the original question, the one thing I learned from my coaches was first, you work hard to get achieve, second that once you MAKE the team (not get there because mommy/daddy paid) that we were ONE, a unit, family whether we win or lose (and we lost alot, haha) but we rode TO the game together and then we would ride BACK from the game together. Even today, high schools allow kids to ride from games with parents instead of the bus back to the school.....that tells me we go as a team, but when we leave we are individuals not a team. Sad really. I'll be quiet now.

6. catamount36

catamount36 Full Access Member

i don't think there is that much difference in the kids... the big difference is in the parents. i don't know if i have ever had a situation where i couldn't work, explain etc. to where the kid and i where on the same page. the parents are a different story. this is where the feeling of being "owed something" comes from. you don't like my kid, you play favorites etc. this is where i see the big difference is at, in my 20+ years of coaching

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  7. Braves

:rofl: .....thanks Spartanfan. You are in the majority in disagreeing with my posts.

Actually, all I ever give is an opinion.....knowing most of the time, others won't agree. But that's what I like about this board. People can disagree with me without attacking.

Parents are a different breed....and one sense you can't blame them. If a parent is paying 1-2 grand for his kid to play on a team...then he better be playing and that is where a lot of coaches/parents conflict.

That's why "O" has such a problem with "pay for play". He just wants to coach the kids. He doesn't want to get involved in all the politics. It rubs against his grain to have to play a kid ( a certain position, a certain amount of innings) simply because the parents paid for him to be on the team.

I believe most coaches love to teach....but they don't want to be politicians.

I agree, Spartanfan, that many kids don't even want to be playing but feel they have to because of their Dad...especially up to about 14 yo....but the one's that enjoy playing when they are 15 and up seem to commit to the sport to try to get better and these are the one's that I feel are very coachable and want to work hard....as long as they feel the coach cares about them.

I may be wrong...my wife will attest that I am everyday...but I find the HS players in general are great kids to coach...and they seem to enjoy discipline as long as the coach is fair.

Let me make an analogy. When many of us were in school...if we screwed up the Principal brought out the paddle and than you had another one facing you at home. Nowadays, if a student strikes a teacher, the parent is up in arms wondering what the teacher did to provoke their poor child. That's an environment that has really changed...the parent.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  8. The "O"

Probably...

parents but certainly NOT all parents! Braves for example the Dunning's, Mason's, Cutler's, Walker's over at Providence are a great example as well! Quick story had a parent: I did not even know at all met etc. before a season even started officially and said QUOTE: "I have only one criticism at this point Coach and that is you making it mandatory that your players ride the bus to and from games!" Whatever I told them it is my policy and we are a "team" you may do what you want on your own time with your child yet he is one of my players to and fro! Unbelieveable example yet dead true and many similar stories to share at a later date! True kids are essentially who and what they are based on what their parent s have taught them! If you wanna pay fine this is your choice. Your best coaches are in FACT your best teachers period and vice versa believe it or not IMHO and experience this is WHAT I KNOW! As for the story above probably one of the several arguments made as to why I got fired................Jellyfish everywjhere where you would LEAST expect it!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Braves

There are many, many great parents supporting their sons, their teammates and their school. The vast majority of parents want to do the right thing...but...it only takes one to poison a team.

This is still my favorite picture:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  10. The "O"

great cartoon...

not a lot needs to be said after seeing that! Yet I do agree with Braves that most if not ALL parents WANT to do the "right" thing in reference to their son's, but their love for their kids and the following and investment put into his game and would be career literally clouds their minds and emotions! 2nd quick short story: Asked to be in on a meeting with a parent of mine who's son was not playing alot, He had been given several quality & significant opportunities to win a starting job! Quote: "I don t know why nor understand why ***** is not playing enough or starting?" He had started three games in a addition if my memory serves me right??? My reply! "Your son isn't good enough or better than who I have out there now, Period! Ms. ****** 'What do u not understand about that?" End of story meeting conversation ONLY to have an AD console her as she wept out the door and eventually to scold me! What a jellyfish! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: