1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Bobby Murray Results

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by cbsconsult, Apr 4, 2008.

1. edp102

edp102 Cary Resident

This game was played yesterday -
    Leesville 10
    Apex 8

However, that game was a regular season scheduled game, not part of the Bobby Murray tournament. When all the rainouts happened, Leesville was unable to play on their makeup day (last Saturday) with Athens Drive, Northern Durham just dropped out of the tournament, so Apex had no one to play. Since Leesville was already scheduled to play Apex this week, that game was added to the tournament, and also a Millbrook-Athens Drive game was added, which was outlined in my first standings post.

But for some reason not known to me - and I'm getting all of this info second hand - the decision for the Apex-Leesville game to count for the tournament was reversed - so Apex won by forfeit over Northern, putting them in the championship game.

If the other post is correct, and Millbrook is playing #3 Fuquay, then I assume that the Millbrook-Athens game counted, and by the rules, # of wins counts first (even though Millbrook played 3 games to every elses 2), then least amount of runs (Millbrook has 12 while Wakefield 13), so Millbrook would actually be in 4th place and Wakefield in 5th place.

That would be my explaination, but at this point, I'm not sure of anything. Hopefully I haven't muddied the waters even worse than they already are.

2. playball08

playball08 Junior Member

your right. i was informed of this today. thanks for the info.

3. Connie Mackeral

Connie Mackeral Full Access Member

This tournament is BS!!!! I hate to sugar-coat my opinion, but does anyone in this Bobby Blurry group have any idea how to run a baseball tourneament?????????

First Apex is playing Leesville Rd. & after the loss it didn't court! Really!!!!

Does Mr. Blurry's son play for Apex????????????????????

4. edp102

edp102 Cary Resident

Ok - to be fair to the BM organizers, they had reversed the decision BEFORE the Leevsville-Apex game was played. If it had counted, maybe Apex would have played the game differently (personnel wise), maybe not.

Also with all the rainouts, that put any makeup games conflicting directly with scheduled conference games, which is why some teams have chosen not to continue in the tournament (not to use up their pitchers). Remember, this was suppose to happen during spring break when there was no conflict with scheduled high school games. The Leith tournament which was to be played that same week was simply cancelled after several rainouts.

Getting the chance to play at Mudcat stadium is a once in a lifetime opportunity for most of these players - the vast majority who won't be playing in college - I'm sure that cost is burdened to a great degree by Bobby Murray (don't know for sure). Of course this year, that won't be happening, but that's beside the point.

I believe Fuquay did get a little unfortunate here, and certainly they are the class of schools participating, but I don't think they were treated unfairly. Northern forfeited to Apex, so by the "book", everything worked out like it should have, it's just a bad break for Fuquay. It's tough to run a 3 day tourney with more than 8 teams - I remember that a couple of years Green Hope went undefeated, yet never won the event because (like Fuquay this year) they didn't get into the championship game (based on runs allowed).

Anyway, this is the final's day schedule (note some teams have dropped out - and some consideration made to have teams play teams they don't play in their regular schedule).

Day 3 Schedule (April 19th) (Home team listed first)
    Millbrook High School

11:00 am Person Co. vs East Wake
    1:30pm Lee County vs Wake Forest
    4:30pm Fuquay vs Millbrook
    7:30pm Apex vs Green Hope (Championship)​

Wakefield High School
    1:00 pm Garner vs Leesville
    4:00 pm Wakefield vs Athens Dr. ​

5. playball08

playball08 Junior Member

sometimes stuff like this just happens. you cant predict the weather and you cant fault these guys for what happened.

6. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Gary HArris has done a great job considering the circumstances of weather, which we cannot control. Schools choosing to drop out made the decision for their own reasons. We stayed because I committed to it and if we have used up pitching we will play with what is available and get those guys experience. FOr me its a win-win situation!!

7. playball08

playball08 Junior Member

congrats to apex for winning the whole thing and to all the teams that participated. there were a lot of great teams and players involved.