1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Bringing in Players

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by maggie, Jun 28, 2007.

1. maggie

maggie Junior Member

Why do these top organizations bring in other players to win certain tournaments, like the Qualifiers, etc. Is this not fair to the girls who practice each week, but then have to ride the pine all weekend just so the team can win. Seems to me that it is then not a team accomplishment, or helping the girls play competitive ball, to get better themselves. To me it is saying that the coach does not have enough confidence in his players, by bringing in a couple of ringers for the weekend. If I were a coach , & I couldn't win with my regular girls, then suck it up, practice more, & try to win with MY team. You cannot get better by watching your team win without you !!
    Guess that's why I'm so glad my DD is not on one of the big org teams, & has a coach who plays his girls only, even if it means taking a loss every now & then.Any other input on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

2. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

To be the best you have to beat the best

Maggie, I know what you're saying here. And I agree with you in principle. There should be chemistry and allegiance to a team. GOOD coaches can take players and make them better. Coaches who THINK their good are a different subject. As for qualifying stuff, 18u ish A. or GOLD, requires lots of talent and $. You don't want to bring a knife to a gun fight. My experience with DDs moving up in age has gone from trophy hunting to showcase to recruiting and then back to trophys. My DD is 17, I want her to face any and all the best. If that means a deserving younger player gets less playing time in the BIG game so be it. I know my opinion is not universal to say the least. But to me, "RAISE THAT BAR". Good luck, and encourage all to be the best they can be.

3. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

Maggie, marlinfan1 hits hard here and to the point and i think you also understand it's; been practiced for 10 + years by some 18u's and even younger groups but it's paved the path NC Softball is currently on! u think its working?

4. Abbey fan

Abbey fan Full Access Member

Not Sure

Just a comment! It is so critical to get to the ASA Nationals in A and Gold because of the volume of coaches that attend. Almost every NC, SC, Va, and Tenn college attend one or both of the tourneys. Also, these coaches see how we compare to western and mid-western players and teams.
    Another advantage is being seen by schools that may have not attended Dynamite, Cardinal tourneys, Bandits, etc.
    Lastly, build reputation of organization to help attrack coaches where ever U play.

5. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

Abbey fan

build and they will come.....Great info and its working folks!

6. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

So What Are We Saying ???

Okay so to be the best you play the best...is that what I'm hearing ?? Agreed to a point,but lets make sure that we are playing the best..not mentioning any teams or organizations...hey I'm getting better about this CHEEZE--LOL, I have seen some ball players that I would not consider "GOLD" players,but they are there by the key word "POLITICS---or SUCK UP to the coach ", I know of (4) kids right now that are not "GOLD PLAYERS", but ask their parents,and man you will hear how good they are,and what colleges are looking at them..YADI,YADI,YADI-DAH, and so on,and so on...I could take an average ball player put her name in the paper a few times,and all of a sudden she is the best ball player in the county----NO THE ENTIRE STATE I MEANT TO SAY!!! Let's just not forget that there are more than (20) good,and talented kids in the neighborhood,and lets give them a chance also....GURU

7. CanAmMan

CanAmMan Full Access Member

Why are the girls and their parents putting up with this crap. If I was on the team & played but come these big tourney's and they bring in a couple of ringers to play & I had to sit I would tell the coach in the huddle before the games that if I was good enough to play in the regular tourney's but not the big one's to KISS MY A$$ and leave and go find a team that would appreciate me.

8. maddog

maddog Member

well..

Abbey fan, answer this question, after you make it to the nationals by bringing in the college girls who do you take to the nationals, the college girls or the girls that have practiced and played all year long. If you play the college girls to win the national, which I take it that you do to keep the org name going, then what good is it to call yourself a showcase team? The girls that need to be seen are sitting the bench getting their confidence shot down with every play. JMO, glad I do not have to deal with this kind of crap, our coach is loyal to the players that he has been coaching for years. And yes we do win!

9. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

Been there, did that

When we were a 14u team, we flew a former player in from PA to play in the world series with us. mistake, mistake, mistake!!!!! girl pitched great, but the faces on the bench and the broken hearts didnt make the victories worth a hoot. this was quite a bit before the showcase tournaments started, but my personal opinion is to go with what got you there in the first place. if most coaches would do this, it would eliminate a lot of "team jumping" period. jmho ya'll

10. softball_56

softball_56 Full Access Member

I think some of you are missing Maggie's point. To bring in players who are not normally on your team and play them over the regulars is wrong period. Hey I agree about bringing a knife to a gunfight but bring your regular guns don't bring someone else's. If you don't think a particular player is not capable of bringing it to the big dance then don't put her on your team in the first place. Yes play your best but make sure it's "your regular" best and not some ringer you bring in.