1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

buying bats from ebay

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by cheeze105, May 8, 2008.

1. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

Yep !!

Cheeze got a good point, when does a warranty transfer...buy a used car "BUY AS IS", maybe the bat companies can offer extended warranties on second owner only !!!

Guru

2. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

you're killin me!!!!!!!!!!!

3. nccoach32

nccoach32 Member

bats, electronics are not

a good thing to purchase on ebay. I got screw** buying a DVD burner for my JVC Everio Camera and it didn't work. The seller wanted me to spend multiple dollars in shipping so "they could see whats wrong"

Now I have a $106 piece of junk and all I wanted to do was transfer my games to dvd.

Learned my lesson on electronics and you never know where these bats come from either. In the wrapper means could be legit or re-wrapped. It's so easy to do.

If your going to buy a Volcanic hot bat then spend the dollars on it to have the warranty.

The way bats are breaking down, it's important to have that warranty.

4. softballjunkie

softballjunkie Full Access Member

I disagree with price fixing

What ever happened to letting the chain of supply and demand dictate pricing? Now it's become "price fixing" so that larger retailers like Softball Sales and the like can make a bigger profit. They put pressure on the Manf. to hold the smaller independant merchants from selling at a more competitve price which cuts down on SS profits. Who loses? We do.Let the market stand on it's own. It also hurts our local sporting goods store because they offer free shipping and no tax. Tax on a $300 bat is substantial to a working stiff trying put his DD through travel ball. It's almost like OPEC not selling oil to refiners unless the end user pays $4 per gallon so that Shell and Exxon can make more $$$$. While I agree that e-bay sales can be a questionable call but this madatory pricing is fixing plain and simple. Just like softball, let competion decide the score.

5. cheeze105

i didnt want to say this before, but you are correct, large internet companies like softball sales are the ones who hold the pricing at a particular level. they become the biggest distributors and therefore have the most pull. some of us distributors do absorb the taxes and shipping to try and give our customers a break...if i could sell my bats at cost and break even, i would, and used to do this until the mandatory map pricing came into effect. this is why i became a distributor because i was tired of paying 300-350 per bat and it lasting about one full season and when you're funding two travel ball teams, it cost as much for bats as it was to play in the tournaments. it would make me mad as hell when a potential customer would call me and tell me he/she could buy the same bat on ebay for 40-50 bucks less. there was nothing i could do about it. if i sold that bat for that cost, i could expect a butt chewing and potential loss of dealership if corportate or another dealer found out and this happened to me twice, so either i follow their rules or quit selling the bats. this doesnt just pertain to anderson, i sell for three different companies, and all follow this rule now. most companies have stopped making team deals now because of the internet companies pushing for it to stop, what they offer is really no cost savings period as bat bags and clothing cost next to nothing for them..but, some of us have become ingenious on this, and they cant stop us from doing things like donating a bat to a team that buys a specific amount of equipment(and a donated bat still has warrantee). 259.00 to 279.00 for a bat that will last two years or more is not a bad investment, and if you look at ebay, the used bats often sell for $100.00 plus and thats not a bad return after two years of beating something to death. not all distributors are in it for the money is all i'm saying.

6. softballjunkie

softballjunkie Full Access Member

Agreed

Cheeze, as you already know we have done biz now for at least a couple of years now and you've always been great with advise, and helping out with pricing when you can. I mean how many Distributors would deliver a bat to a tourny for a kid?
    Anyway it sounds like corprate greed plain and simple. I will not buy anything from Softaball Sales. Although I know it's not just them it's just my own personal protest. And how about the small biz owners trying to get a start and are willing to sacrifice price to compete with the "big boys"?
    What's next, all products have a min. pricing? No competition is good for no one but softball sales and the like. But what to do? Have a great day.
    Oh yeah, if you are really feeling bad about us guys still in the travel ball jungle remember me when a good promo comes along....LOL

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  7. cheeze105

agree my friend, small business's often dont stand a chance when someone else is making the rules...

8. Abbey fan

Abbey fan Full Access Member

Bats

Until the last couple years, the ASA stamp was the reason a bat was not good becuase they last until they had no pop, not because a end-cap popped out or the bat dented, or the bat broke in half! Quality has slipped big time over the years especially in bats! Mainly because of the race for the most POP! Not POP Rivers! Another quality gentleman!
    Cheese has been the most honest of all the sales people! You can believe in what he says as he is in the business for all the right reasons!:SmokinBanana:

9. Carolina Bombs Coach

Carolina Bombs Coach Team Manager

Ebay Bat Purchases

Is this just on Anderson Bats or is this the start of a snowball effect to other bat manufacturers to squeeze out not approved vendors. I have purchased many Bats on Ebay and gotten some really great deals.

10. cheeze105

i believe this is the start of a trend that will go business wide...especially since i got a notice from another company stating the same thing....here we go.